Poll

Author Topic: Ultimate Draft II (Congrats to Roy for winning Best Overall)  (Read 187534 times)

Re: Ultimate Draft II (Poll Open VOTE for Best Hoops team)
« Reply #675 on: August 10, 2010, 12:30:15 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
well, I am actually almost ambidiestrus...
;)

Left Brain Dominance:  (10)
Right Brain Dominance:  (13)

but of course I am more rightie
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

Re: Ultimate Draft II (Poll Open VOTE for Best Hoops team)
« Reply #676 on: August 10, 2010, 07:17:53 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3773
  • Yup
Congrats to God, I mean Edgar, on winning the Best Hoops team category.

Last, but least, is the Best Overall category.
Yup

Re: Ultimate Draft II (Congrats Edgar: Best Hoops team...best Overall is next)
« Reply #677 on: August 11, 2010, 08:45:45 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
OK, I'll throw mine out there.  We have it all covered...badass conquerors (Godzilla, Vlad the Impaler, Andre the Giant)...Smartest (Douglas Adams, Larry Bird (in a basketball sense), Confucious)...Best Hoops (Larry Bird, Warren Coolidge)...Funniest (Bill the Cat, Merrill Stubing (the dude was funnier on Mary Tyler Moore, but so be it))

Any contenders?
Yup

« Reply #678 on: August 11, 2010, 10:20:35 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I like my team best.  Why?  The coolness factor.

First of all, who was the coolest cat in NBA history?  Bill Russell.  This is a guy who went through extreme racial prejudice, and still delivered 11 titles in 13 seasons (plus two NCAA championships and a gold medal).  Both Shaq and KG said that one of the big men they most admired -- and one of the first all-time greats to reach out to them -- was Bill Russell.

Want more sports talk?  Dick Butkus is your man.  The man's name is synonymous with bone crushing hits.  If you want to swap war stories with any player in NFL history, it would be Dick Butkus.  Plus, he basically had an appearance on every television show in the 1980s, so he's got plenty of cool stories to swap about Hollywood, too.

Let's be honest, though.  There are lots of times you just want to chill out.  Go out to the bar, talk to girls, hang with your boys.  That's where Captain Kirk and David Carradine come in.  I mean, who doesn't want to hear about all the alien species Kirk has met, or how he got out of those tight jams?  Who doesn't want to talk philosophy with the original man trained by Master Po?

Another chill guy is James Bond, and he's also the guy in your group who can always find his way out of a tight situation, whether it's with his words or his fists.  He won't start a fight, but he'll sure as heck end it.

Every group needs a crazy dude, and that's Randy the Ram / Mickey Rourke.  The guy quit acting to be a professional boxer.  He hangs out with Scarlett Johansson and Arnold Schwarzenegger.  He's got that crazy man look in his eye.  In other words, Mickey Rourke is badass.

Every group needs a cool guy who can answer any question you have for him.  It's even better when that guy is socially awkward, so you can pick on him while he strikes out with the ladies.  For us, that's Albert Einstein.  He'll do your homework, and you'll look cooler just by being around him.

Bored with just sitting around philosophizing?  Well, not only does my team have a bunch of butt kickers, but it's also got a guy who can do freakin' magic.  Merlin could do anything he wanted, including turning lead into gold.  That's a pretty handy trick.

If Merlin's magic ability doesn't do it for you, what about a god who throws lightning bolts at people who irritate him?  Zeus is the type of guy you want on your side.  Anybody who can overthrow the Titans is somebody not to be messes with.

Lastly, we have the Mythical Roy Hobbs.  Hobbes got in a fight with Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, and Bill Braske, and had all of them sucking their thumbs.  Plus, Hobbs comes through in the clutch.

===========================

This team has already proven to be the smartest.  Its members have explored and conquered worlds (and defeated the gods), can play hoops (as Bill Russell can attest), and can tell a joke.  Pretty much, they're the best thing going.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 11:11:31 AM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #679 on: August 11, 2010, 11:09:08 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
VOTE ROY HOBBS!

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #680 on: August 11, 2010, 11:18:29 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
Last Year Devils win best over all

This year Gods Team SHOULD WIN this category!!

VOTE EDGAR AND THE GOOD GUYS!!!!!!

Nice to be back!

« Reply #681 on: August 11, 2010, 12:55:28 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LzdKH1naok

Monarch: Yolanda Griffith

Yolanda Evette Griffith (born March 1, 1970 in Chicago, Illinois) is a former American professional basketball who played in both the ABL, and WNBA. A Former WNBA MVP she is considered one of the greatest rebounders and defensive players in the history of Women's Basketball[1]. She last played in the WNBA as a member of the Indiana Fever. She is sometimes called by her nicknames: "Yo" and "Yo-Yo".

Categories: Basketball

TV Host: Troy McClure

Troy McClure is a fictional character in the American animated sitcom The Simpsons. He was voiced by Phil Hartman and first appears in the second season episode "Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment".[1] McClure is a washed-up actor, usually shown doing low-level work, such as hosting infomercials and educational films. He appears as the central character in "A Fish Called Selma", in which he marries Selma Bouvier to aid his failing career and quash rumors about his personal life. McClure also 'hosts' "The Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular" and "The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase".

Categories: Smartest, Funniest

Comic Strip: Road Block

Roadblock is a character from Hasbro's G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero series of toys, comics and cartoons. He is one of the most prominent African-Americans in the series. His primary function in G.I. Joe is as a heavy machine gunner and a secondary function as a cook.

Categories: Basketball, World Conquerors

Wrestler: Mr. Perfect

Described by WWE as "one of the best in-ring technicians of his generation",[2] peers including Hulk Hogan,[6] Ric Flair,[7] Bret Hart,[8] Shawn Michaels[9] and Randy Savage[10] consider Hennig to be one of the most gifted in-ring performers in professional wrestling history. He was posthumously inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2007.

Categories: World Conquerors, Basketball, Funniest, Smartest. HE'S PERFECT

Explorer: Michael J. Fox

Michael J. Fox, OC (born June 9, 1961) is a Canadian actor, author, comedian, producer, advocate and voice-over artist. With a film and television career spanning from the 1970s to the present, Fox's roles have included Marty McFly from the Back to the Future trilogy (1985–1990); Alex P. Keaton from Family Ties (1982–1989), for which he won three Emmy Awards and a Golden Globe Award; and Mike Flaherty from Spin City (1996–2000), for which he won an Emmy, three Golden Globes, and two Screen Actors Guild Awards.

Categories: Basketball, Funniest, World Conqueror

80's TV: Uncle Jesse

Hermes "Jesse" Katsopolis - The young, hip, rock and roll loving, Elvis obsessed, Uncle of the girls with great hair. Father to Nicky and Alex

Categories: Basketball, Funniest

WILDCARD: Charlie Kelly
[/color][/size]

a fictional character on the FX television series It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Charlie is co-owner at Paddy's and a childhood friend of Mac and Dennis. He is also Frank's roommate and possibly his biological son. Charlie is often angry and prone to outbursts. He has poor personal hygiene, lives in squalor, and frequently abuses inhalants such as glue and spray paint. Charlie, like the rest of The Gang, drinks copious amounts of alcohol. Throughout the show, Charlie exhibits difficulty reading and writing, though he has a recurring obsession with being a lawyer. The Gang frequently accuses him of being illiterate and calls him "retarded". On one occasion, Mac goes so far as to claim that "no one understands the subtleties of Charlie's retardation better than me".

Categories: Smartest, Funniest

Philosopher: The Genius

a highly intelligent, sniffy persona and wearing an academic cap and gown to the ring. He officially turned heel at the Boston Garden on March 18, 1989 still known as Leaping Lanny, he berated Hulk Hogan and stuck up for Randy Savage in his poem. This was a mere two weeks before Wrestlemania V. His poems now ridiculed the face wrestlers, and he now behaved in an even more effeminate manner to infuriate the crowd. During the match, the Genius would construct a mathematical equation that would tilt the balance of the match in his favor. In addition, the Genius also served as a manager (and occasional tag team partner) for Mr. Perfect.[4].

Categories: Smartest, Funniest, World Conqueror

Celtic: Leprechaun from Leprechaun in the Hood

Wannabe Los Angeles rap artists Postmaster P. (Anthony Montgomery), Stray Bullet (Rashaan Nall) and Butch (Red Grant) accidentally free a Leprechaun that was imprisoned by record producer Mac Daddy O'Nassas (Ice-T) twenty years earlier. The film follows the three as they attempt to evade the powerful Leprechaun and violent Mac Daddy, both of whom seek a magical flute with mind-altering capabilities that the young trio is in possession of.

Categories: Funniest, World Conqueror

Author: L. Ron Hubbard

was an American science fiction author[2] who developed a self-help system called Dianetics, which was first published in 1950. Over the following three decades, Hubbard developed his self-help ideas into a wide-ranging set of doctrines and rituals as part of a new religion he called Scientology. Hubbard's writings became the guiding texts for the Church of Scientology and a number of affiliated organizations that address such diverse topics as business administration, literacy and drug rehabilitation.[3]

Categories: Smartest, World Conqueror

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:11:37 PM by StartOrien »

« Reply #682 on: August 11, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

The Bahku Dahek M.I.'s

Just what defines "Best Overall"? I think the most appropriate word should be diversity ... the ability to cover all the bases ... a multi-talented team with the broad palette of talent and unique abilities to fill every void, answer every doubt, and reach to every corner. That was my goal going into this contest, and with each choice I made, I tried to answer those questions as best I could. Please judge for yourself from the following ... and enjoy!

Our Roster:

Philosopher: Matt Foley (Chris Farley)  

A philosopher is very often shunned and misunderstood in his own time ... such was the wisdom of Matt Foley. Master of understatement and motivational speaker beyond equal, Matt never let his meager means or limited ability hinder the depth of his wisdom.

He was honest as the day is long, and that honesty is what shone through and spoke volumes to those who saw in him, something that terrified them, and something that made them realize that getting off their butts and improving their own lives, was far more preferrable than ever becoming what they saw before them in the visage of Matt Foley ... a loud, obnoxious man who was "35 years old, thriced divorced, and living in a van down by the river!"

As real as reality can get, Matt is just plain true to his frightening self, and that's what makes him the perfect man to balance our team with a harsh sense of realism and fear. Not only that, but he's big, fat, loud, smelly, and opposing players just plain don't want to get anywhere near him! We love Matt, (but admittedly, he scares us a bit, too).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRETpsqlr-g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_V1c7qTzwQ&feature=related

(Be patient - the volume gets better around 1 min - thanks!)

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Comic Strip Character: Hobbes  

Without a doubt the spiritual leader of our team, and the emotional glue that keeps this thing together, Hobbes is the being incarnate of illustration that personifies the penultimate motivation, the unbreakable bond of the ethereal, the least understood but most sought-after concept of all who leave it behind for the sake of adulthood and "maturity" ... Hobbes represents the one power that no other team can come against ... the one force that no opponent can answer, and the mortar that makes our team impossible to defeat ...

... imagination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E74eEd7xbl0

"My Funny Friend And Me"

In the quiet time of evening
When the stars assume their patterns
And the day has made his journey
And we wondered just what happened
To the life we knew before the world changed
When not a thing I held was true
But you were kind to me
And you reminded me

That the world is not my playground
There are other things that matter
And when a simple needs protecting
My illusions all would shatter
But you stayed in my corner
The only world I know was upside down
And now the world and me
I know you carry me

You see the patterns in the big sky
Those constellations look like you and I
Just like the patterns in the big sky
We could be lost we could refuse to try
But we made it through in the dark night
Would those lucky guys turn out to be
But that unusual blend
Of my funny friend and me

I'm not as clever as I thought I was
I'm not the boy I used to be because
You showed me something different, you showed me something pure
I always seemed so certain but I was really never sure
But you stayed and you called my name
When others would have walked out on a lousy game
And look who made it through
But your funny friend and me

You see the patterns in the big sky
Those constellations look like you and I
That tiny planet and a bigger guy
I don't know whether I should laugh or cry

Just like the patterns in the big sky
We'll be together till the end is nigh
Don't know the answer or the reason why
We'll stick together till the day we die

If I had to do this all a second time
I won't complain or make a fuss
But when the angels sing with that unlikely blend
Are those two funny friends

That's us

- Sting

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Celtic: Len Bias  

Len Bias ... the ultimate story of unrealized potential, and the ultimate sports tragedy. This is a guy who was most often compared to Michael Jordan at the college level, very often in terms that gave him the advantage, (and deservedly so). His biggest dream was to play at the NBA level for the Boston Celtics, and that dream came true on draft day.

His ability was beyond what had ever been witnessed before, and the sky was truly the limit for him in terms of his future career on the parquet. There was every indication that he could have become one of the greatest of all time, but unfortunately that was all cut short by a brief moment of poor choices. I like to think that Len is showing off his stuff on some divine basketball court, and that his spirit soars in the great beyond to realize all that he couldn't during his all-to-brief time here on earth.

Captain of our team, without a doubt ... and one without equal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiXvNhXWHOc

80's TV character: Sam Beckett (Quantum Leap)  

Sam Beckett ... a scientist who stepped into the Quantum Leap Accelerator, and then spent the rest of his life jumping from time period-to-time period, body-to-body, character-to-character. On a team that I built to stress diversity and fill with multi-talented players, this guy is the ultimate! He's done it all ... he's been everywhere ... from doctor to rock musician to basketball star to priest to pilot and on and on, Sam Beckett is the most diverse and multi-faceted human being in history.

This guy is on my first team, but can obviously fill the shoes of any other player who might happen to get injured or need a breather ... in other words, the greatest sub on earth! He's not only physically able to take on any role, but also one of the most intelligent humans alive, and with an emotional maturity that rivals the wisest of old souls. Sam is literally "THE" man, and the core of our team. Whatever curve you throw at us, this guy can deal with it, and use it to our benefit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjK9GJMBpt0

Explorer: Indiana Jones

There's very little I need to say about the good Doctor Jones that you don't already know. He's everyman's man, the supreme macho guy, an intelligent college professor whose adventures and quests for justice are legendary. He has risked his life and limb endless times for good, truth, justice, and the ultimate motivation for humankind ... love.

He thinks on his feet, doesn't hesitate to give up his body for the cause, never says die, is the quintessential non-quitter, and would rather die than lose. He supplies the energy, momentum, attitude, and cohesiveness for this team, and defines what we're all about ... winning at all costs. Those who know him, fear him ... those who don't, will. (Oh, yeah ... he carries a whip and a gun, too ... just in case). ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YXw7BxYGMU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CccprKl_YcM

TV Host/Announcer: The Church Lady (Dana Carvey)  

What can you say about the Church Lady that she hasn't said herself? She is the Know-it-all of Know-it-alls, the Righteous of all Righteous, the TV Host with a direct line to God, the number one spokesman for the hypocritical, the ultimate guide for
the misguided, and the Pope's only Right-Hand Lady. She's never lost an argument, (just ask her), and as such, she's the perfect player to have in any rotation!

As one of the funniest and most favorite incarnations of the super-talented Dana Carvey, the Church Lady set a new standard for making fun of religion while at the same time not offending it. Her prejudice, bias, and all-around superiority to others, was brought to life each week in her "Superiority Dance" ... and she had an unequalled ability to leave her guests completely speechless.

If you didn't love her, you loved to hate her ... and if you loved her, you hated to love her! Every team needs it's attitude-maker, and she's ours! As the Church Lady would say, (completely rhetorically) ... "Isn't that special!"  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw94TwKqH_c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ByoJ7amKs&feature=related

Professional Wrestler: Andy Kaufman

Andy was a human being of profound depth and individuality ... a comedian, yes, but also a tortured soul who sought to shed a glaring light on the imperfections of the human condition, and teach others through his own self-deprecation, how to laugh at themselves, and not to take life too seriously.

Multi-talented, (as most members of my team), he could play any position if needed, and do so with total commitment, as well as a smile. The ultimate locker-room presence, his sense of humor in the midst of the most serious battle, gives our team a balance and energy that is very hard to duplicate.

There's absolutely no one that he can't catch off-guard, as it's just plain impossible to ever know when he's serious, and when he's not. A solid and irreplaceable player off the bench.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKqiLCtF8I8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C570byQCLpI

Monarch: Yoda (Jedi Master)

The only diminutive thing about him is his size ... his personality, power, intelligence, wisdom, strength, ability, reputation, presence, and spirituality are beyond compare throughout the Universe. Whether Emperor, Sith Lord, or Jedi Knight, from Dark Side to the Light, he was at one time teacher to them all, and Master to every Master.

The one-and-only creature who could understand and command the Mediclorians and all their mysterious ways, he was, directly or indirectly, the ultimate purveyor of power in the Universe. As a member of my team, he has no equal ... small and agile, Master of the Force, commander of gravity and the forces of nature, there is none who can stop him.

Anyone who challenges him, does so with trepidation, and ultimate defeat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY4SbBUH9hU&feature=related

Author:  J.K. Rowling  

Now easily the wealthiest woman in the world, (which she takes a lot of jealousy-motivated angst for), she is the ultimate example of the Rags-To-Riches story, and a person who has lived, (until recently), a very difficult life, yet turned that struggle into prosperity. She is extremely intelligent, very gifted with the written word, and wise beyond her years in the ways of life.

Every team needs a role-player, and she fills that role quite effectively for this team. Nothing is more important in creating new schemes offensively and defensively than an active imagination ... and hers is unparalleled in our day and age. Being the most successful woman in the world at her profession and genre, doesn't hurt, either! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewmYoYhutE4

Wild Card: Doc Rivers

No matter how talented or experienced the members of a team may be as individuals, it takes even more talent to bring it together in the right way, to combine each element into a fluid and perfectly belnded mixture, that's capable of working as one self-minded, cohesive unit. Like the genius of a conductor leading a symphony, any great team depends on a similar intelligence to make it function at it's best.

A musical conductor must know the role and intricacies of every instrument, almost as well as the talented musician playing it, in order to weave that instrument seamlessly into the vision of the composer who wrote the music. A great coach similarly must know each position on the floor as well as that player, and also must know each player in that position, (physically, emotionally, mentally), in order to maximize the effectiveness of that player.

More importantly, that knowledge is used to combine the intracacies of that player with the others on the team, in a way that will produce the maximum efficiency of production, and end up with the most powerful and uniform unit possible. Doc, while far from perfect, and certainly not the most successful coach of all-time, has an innate talent for taking egos, talents, and attitudes of all kinds, and refining and weaving them together to become a powerful team, all the while walking a deft line between mentor and friend.

With an extremely diverse team like mine, there could be no other choice for coach, (and player, if need be).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGu7kGXAa-E

SUMMARY

This team is the ultimate team for diversity ... we're funny, gifted, multi-talented, courageous, strong, athletic, intelligent, imaginative, masterful, quick-thinking, organized, determined ... you name it, we've got all the bases covered!

It matters not what kind of foe comes against us, we have the multitude of abilities required to be victorious. But we're also humble, caring, thoughtful, and a wealth of wisdom ... in other words, we're as tough as they come, but with no sharp edges.

The pinnacle of possibility, the wonder-team of wisdom, the climax of courage, the deity of diversity, the apex of all-around, and the omnipotent of "Overall" ... when it comes to having what it takes, no matter what the situation, there can be no other!

The Bahku Dahek M.I.'s!!

;)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 02:30:16 PM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #683 on: August 11, 2010, 02:27:19 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am just going to say, my team throws the best parties.

Saint Patrick day every day here.

Stone Cold shows up and beers just going flying to his hand.

King Midas is in charge of guest gifts.

And (like him or hate him) Obama seems to have really big parties. 

« Reply #684 on: August 11, 2010, 03:33:42 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I am just going to say, my team throws the best parties.

Saint Patrick day every day here.

Stone Cold shows up and beers just going flying to his hand.

King Midas is in charge of guest gifts.

And (like him or hate him) Obama seems to have really big parties. 

Aint no party like a Yolanda Griffith party.

« Reply #685 on: August 11, 2010, 03:41:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My vote is going to Edgar.

« Reply #686 on: August 11, 2010, 04:37:13 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
My vote is going to Edgar.
TY Nick

the good guys really Appreciatte that
and youre one step closer
;)

Vote The good guys and we are oppening the doors for you. ;)

Nice to be back!

« Reply #687 on: August 13, 2010, 09:23:11 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
bump
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #688 on: August 13, 2010, 10:29:35 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

crown me

« Reply #689 on: August 14, 2010, 04:18:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
OK, sorry, I've been asleep at the wheel and sort of lost steam on finishing this thing off.

Any others want to state a case for Best Overall?
Yup