Author Topic: Interesting Kevin Durant Question asked to Wyc  (Read 1920 times)

Interesting Kevin Durant Question asked to Wyc
« on: July 21, 2016, 01:10:52 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Just found this small bit in an ESPN article by Chris Forsberg, declaring Smart as the next superstar, based on the Carmelo projections.

"http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4723613/is-boston-celtics-next-star-already-on-the-roster.

As Grousbeck told Boston radio station 98.5 the Sports Hub, "Kevin asked, 'In two years, when all your young guys are coming up, are you willing to go way into the luxury tax to re-sign these guys and pay them whatever is necessary to keep them?' That’s what he thinks of our roster, by the way. 'Are you willing to go deep into the tax to keep these guys, like Marcus Smart-type guys?' We said absolutely."

We all knew that Kevin Durant cared a lot about stability and continuity. I think that's always been the issue with OKC. Coach and roster changes really do affect how a free agent must target a winning franchise. This is why we should keep this core together only if a suitable Allstar/Superstar is on the trade block, but there is no way to pencil push or advocate how vital these young group of guys are, to the team especially.

Not going to lie, it almost made me a little happy, because if KD doesn't really fit with GSW, or they lose like a terrible playoff round, I could see him thinking hard about opting out, and signing with the Celtics. Okay, maybe not. But pipe dream commence.

I guess I always felt Durant wasn't going to stay, due to the premature exit and trade of Ibaka. But don't get it twisted, they did get a good return for Ibaka, considering Oladipo, is still a young cost controlled player with potential.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Interesting Kevin Durant Question asked to Wyc
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 01:14:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Nice find.

I believe that if the team is winning, ownership will pay to keep the ones worth keeping.  IT, Bradley, and Smart all hit free agency in two summers, so we'll know more then!

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 01:17:33 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Nice find.

I believe that if the team is winning, ownership will pay to keep the ones worth keeping.  IT, Bradley, and Smart all hit free agency in two summers, so we'll know more then!

Yup, I think that is why Durant seriously left OKC. Refusing to go over the tax, trading away Harden to cut costs, and try to win a championship the cheapest way possible? Would've wanted Durant to stay, but I think ultimately, from a basketball perspective, winning championships and creating a dynasty is far more important than personal accolades in MVPs, or scoring champion.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 01:19:05 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
very interesting, I think his deal with GSW doesn't guarantee he comes back for the 2nd year, especially if they don't get it done. Therefore, I think he is also keeping a close eye on the Celtics to see what we can accomplish next season while having "stability"

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 01:22:03 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
very interesting, I think his deal with GSW doesn't guarantee he comes back for the 2nd year, especially if they don't get it done. Therefore, I think he is also keeping a close eye on the Celtics to see what we can accomplish next season while having "stability"

I didn't want to make this thread so people can get their hopes up again!  :police:

Just kidding.

I only made this thread, because that question specifically jumped out to me, and how random it was considering how much Wyc/Ainge must really view Smart as a big piece of their team. We can go and get exploitative and explore how WAR, dRtG, and plus and minuses on and off the court for days, but it doesn't change the fact free agents like Durant, Horford, and etc, all view players like Smart extremely valuable.

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 01:22:53 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
When I saw this quote I immediately thought that it was an indicator that KD was always gonna leave OKC.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 01:25:08 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I didn't want to make this thread so people can get their hopes up again!  :police:

Just kidding.

I only made this thread, because that question specifically jumped out to me, and how random it was considering how much Wyc/Ainge must really view Smart as a big piece of their team. We can go and get exploitative and explore how WAR, dRtG, and plus and minuses on and off the court for days, but it doesn't change the fact free agents like Durant, Horford, and etc, all view players like Smart extremely valuable.

not only that, I don't think this is the first time KD mentioned Smart by name. I think he once mentioned him when we beat OKC the first time without him, then another time when they beat us at home. I don't think KD is only paying attention to the Celtics as an organization, but who leads it, who makes the decisions, the changes and also he is paying attention to Smart...interesting

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 01:35:51 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
When I saw this quote I immediately thought that it was an indicator that KD was always gonna leave OKC.

Just kidding.

not only that, I don't think this is the first time KD mentioned Smart by name. I think he once mentioned him when we beat OKC the first time without him, then another time when they beat us at home. I don't think KD is only paying attention to the Celtics as an organization, but who leads it, who makes the decisions, the changes and also he is paying attention to Smart...interesting

Yup, which is interesting considering Durant isn't playing in the Olympics, but said he'll show up to practice and play scrimmage games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC2GV18YAoA

For anyone interested in seeing how Smart is developing, he's making some solid passes, and his penetration seems a lot more fluid. Hoping for big things from Smart.

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 01:53:32 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
If he loses this year in some frustrating or heartbreaking way, he might deign to consider jumping ship to sign with an up-and-coming Celtics squad that already has oodles of talent and camaraderie without him? **** him. I hope it's us that beats him, and I hope he jumps ship to a different team every season, except for ours, and loses in brutal fashion every year until he retires a broken old man.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 02:02:24 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

[/quote
Yup, which is interesting considering Durant isn't playing in the Olympics, but said he'll show up to practice and play scrimmage games.
[/quote]

he isn't?  u sure?

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 02:03:19 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
there was a whole thread on this yesterday.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 02:04:19 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
We have a number of guys who would be a perfect fit next to a scorer like Durant.  He should want those guys still around because they will play the defense and step up to make plays around him.

Instead he went to GSW... whatever to that.  But I think that should be why we are so attractive to free agents.  We can have a deep team ala GSW if they come play here.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 08:47:18 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think KD will regret not signing w the C's.  How or where did Forsberg get that quote?  I guess there are no secrets which is disturbing.

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 09:06:19 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville