Author Topic: 2015 Draft sleepers  (Read 20324 times)

Re: 2015 Draft sleepers
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2015, 03:10:57 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
TP to the OP for the thread and the shout-out.

Given the slots we're picking at, this thread deserves multiple hits and pages for its relevancy to our situation in having to take chances with our picks.

Harvey (good call, Beat LA) , Pettaway, Luwawu and Tokoto all interest me.

Thanks, TP for you, too :).  I just looked up JP Tokoto, though, and wasn't impressed by his numbers, but that obviously doesn't tell the whole story.  Is there a specific reason why you're interested in him, like, did he have a breakout performance in a big game somewhere that I missed, lol ;D?

I'll say this, though - depending on who's still available, if we could get Delon Wright at 16, Harvey at 28 (which is very dicey, imo, because of teams like the Spurs and Bulls picking ahead of us), Upshaw at 33 (which, again, is definitely not set in stone seeing as Minnesota and Houston, in order, both pick ahead of us, and they both know how to draft), and whoever is left at 45, lol ;D, be that Petteway, Boatright, Dakari Johnson, or Richardson, that's one hell of a draft, imo.  I know that we already have too many guards, but we need as much talent as possible.  Plus, some of the guys won't work out, and you should never draft for need.  I think we need to get a few more second round picks, quite honestly, and then sign whoever isn't drafted, like one, or both, of the Harrison twins, and any of the other guys that have been mentioned so far in this thread.  The Lakers signed Jabari Brown and Roscoe Smith after last year's draft, and the former has proven that he can play in the NBA, and we have to do the same if we want to be successful, imo.  It's not like we already have even one proven star, let alone a foundation of some sort in place, so leave no stone unturned, lol ;D!

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 03:17:34 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Alan Williams out of UC Santa Barbara. Guy is a beast on the glass, which we could definitely use the help in that category. Averaged 17.6 ppg and 12.1 rpg and 1.8 bpg. 6'8, 264 lbs. Watched him play a handful of games this season. If we deal Sully, he will fill right in on the boards.

And I still like Robert Upshaw.

TP for thinking outside the box, lol ;D.  I'd never heard of him before, but this is the exact purpose of this thread - brainstorming.  Anyway, I know that it's bleacher report, but Williams apparently got his own feature under the heading of 'Meet Alan Williams, the Best College Basketball Player You've Never Heard Of.'  I'll check it out tomorrow.  He seems undersized, though :-\.  Does he play inside, etc.? 

Anyway, here's the link -

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2323778-meet-alan-williams-the-best-college-basketball-player-youve-never-heard-of

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 03:49:15 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
In order to have the best draft we will prob need to make trades.......like players for picks.

Myles Turner could go 10 to 14.....maybe earlier if he has a good combine. And if Upshaw  has a good combine and measures better in 2011...then he will b a first rounder, prob 20 and up.

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2015, 05:08:21 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2385498-baylors-rico-gathers-a-man-among-boys-on-hardwood-may-face-gridiron-dilemma

This article put Rico Gathers on my radar. Probably should be playing football but if he chooses to go pro in basketball think he's make a really nice second round pick. Definitely a space eater "Gathers, a junior, averages a national-best 11.8 rebounds and 11.4 points for 14th-ranked Baylor, and his 16 double-doubles lead the Big 12." *stats as of when the article was written finished year at 11.5 boards*

No idea if he's declaring or even choosing Basketball but I believe he may be the very definition of a sleeper.

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2015, 11:33:34 AM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
Terry Rozier is a big sleeper in this draft because he's an excellent scorer and good defender who will thrive as a 6th man or even a starter. I would have liked to draft him with the #33 pick but we have Isaiah.

Christian Wood is another sleeper because he has a huge ceiling which is a two-way face up power forward. He would take time to develop due to his limited strength but he will be a perfect fit for the Cs because he is an outstanding shot blocker and an athletic big with range (even though he is inconsistent and tends to float around the perimeter too much).

https://bandrincorporated.wordpress.com/christian-wood/

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2015, 08:42:29 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Aaron White very efficient player l. Iwould like Cs to get him with their last 2nd rounder. Not a star but solid role player.

I just looked over some clips of him, and he's an interesting player, in that he's a bit of a tweener (although more of a 4 than a 3, imo), a great athlete, and good passer and post player, although, again, I'm not really familiar with the guy.  Actually, if there's anyone on that Iowa team in whom we should be interested, it's Jarrod Uthoff, imo.  A 6'8"/6'9" wing who averaged 1.6 bpg last season :o?  Wow, that's very impressive.  He also looks like he's an excellent passer, but you obviously know him much better than I do, so, am I right, here?  The guy kind of reminds me of a slightly shorter, more nimble, Sam Dekker, but better defensively.  Is that fair?  He seems like a very intelligent player, as well, judging from his postgame comments at the end of the first video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRtyvQ19nlk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqlYzNf8okY

Anyone else, guys?  Has anyone seen Larry Nance Jr. play?  Is he any good, because his numbers look pretty good to me, as well as his athleticism, although, like White, he does seem to be a bit of a tweener.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 05:02:43 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2015, 08:47:48 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'll say this again. Robert Upshaw.

I would LOOOOOOOOOOONG REACH for him at #16 before someone else is in range to grab him. The drug problems are a solid red flag, but the potential is worth the risk. He's definitely a sleeper to me.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2015, 11:59:31 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I would LOOOOOOOOOOONG REACH for him at #16 before someone else is in range to grab him. The drug problems are a solid red flag, but the potential is worth the risk. He's definitely a sleeper to me.

Hey, I've said it too, lol ;D. You'd really take him at 16, though?  Wow. 

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2015, 12:05:31 AM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Chris McCullough... Good size, length. Very athletic, solid skill level in place. Would be a steal at 28

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2015, 12:31:33 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

16 is too early for him

What i don't like about Upshaw even more than the drug issues is that he gets pushed around/gives up deep position in the defensive end. And I mean this is a big guy at 250-255 pounds.   not a good sign

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2015, 06:03:16 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Ok on Wright. I haven't really watched him but I watched the clip. Can he shoot? I saw the slashing and the D but I saw 1 jump shot in the whole clip which would make me wander if he has a  jump shot. Please respond as I have no idea that is what I noticed when I watched the clip.

His shooting has actually improved dramatically from his freshman season where he shot 22% from 3 point land.
He now shoots 35% from three point land which isn't bad but he only attempts 2 per game. At least he's improving dramatically.
He shoots a high percentage from the field because he's able to get into the paint and he also shoots 5.2 free throws a game at 86% which is great.

So yeah, no problems with his jumpshot.
I love him.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2015, 08:55:30 AM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Justin Anderson... top defender

Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2015, 11:09:38 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Josh Richardson: see this excellent writeup (including highlight vid): http://deanondraft.com/2015/04/01/2141/

He is an athletic 3 and D prospect with some offensive versatility to work with too. A 6'6 wing. As a junior, he utterly dominated in the tournament and led his 11th-seed Tennessee Volunteers to an upset sweet 16 appearance.

I wanted to see if anyone would mention him before I was going to do so, today, so TP.  I like him a lot.  His defensive versatility of being able to guard positions 1-3 reminds me of Jimmy Butler, as does Richardson's tenacity.  I do think that he's more than a 3 and D guy, though, because, as you can see from this clip (and judging by your post about him I take it that you've already seen enough of him, anyway), he can create and hit from midrange and take it to the basket with either hand.  I'd take him at 45, unless there was a better player available.  He might not even get drafted.  Man, if only we had those 8 second round picks this year, lol ;D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF_PRlNNgIc

Btw, is it just me, or does his form look like Wes Matthews', from the 80s?

Glad you like him too! I think he's worth taking with the Clippers' pick, although there could be even better value available (and ideally I'd trade up for RHJ). He doesn't strike me as someone you run plays for at this level, as his offensive talent level is great for someone so unheralded but not as dominant as most NBA starters would be at his age (he is a young senior). But 3&D&transition&other complementary offense is a valuable mold, and he can be great in that role.

Obviously it depends on who's available at that point, but you'd take him that high?  The only reason I ask is because we could potentially get him in the second round, if he's even drafted.  That's not a knock on him at all, it's just that upperclassmen tend not to be seen as great prospects for some reason, lol ;D.

Yeah, I'd take him in the first round. Late 1st-round picks usually turn into nothing, so anybody who projects as a solid role player is good value there.

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2015, 12:42:41 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
 upshaw vaughn dakari johnson justin anderson would be great with second round picks

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2015, 02:12:20 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I have been impressed with Zho Qi based on YouTube videos mostly, does anyone know if he is entering this draft?  If so I would take him in the second as a stash play.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/zhou-qi
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby