Author Topic: ESPN's 5-on-5: What's the best Kevin Garnett trade the Celtics can make?  (Read 17663 times)

Re: ESPN's 5-on-5: What's the best Kevin Garnett trade the Celtics can make?
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2013, 12:48:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Because we'll have to get young and suck eventually.

I'm not convinced that the Celtics have to go through a "young and suck" phase between the current and the next championship windows.

The only way I could see that being the case is if Rondo turns into a superstar (i.e. legitimate top 4-5 MVP candidate) when he gets back from his injury.

We aren't building a contender post-Pierce/KG without a superstar, and we aren't getting one in free agency.  So it's Rondo, tank for the lottery, or acquire various young assets over the course of a few years and make some trades. 

Personally, I view the latter of the three options as the most likely one.  But it means we have to get young and suck for a few years (at least).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2013, 12:50:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Dallas Mavs were an average team!

Not really.  They were an older team that was pretty good in the regular season but not great.

Then their superstar player, who was on the tail end of his prime, rediscovered his MVP form during the playoffs and led the team on a run to a championship. 

They also had a perfectly tailored supporting cast which included a great defensive center in his prime.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2013, 12:33:14 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Why are people so anxious for us to get young and suck?  I am 41yrs old, I've been through the young and suck phase and I am in no hurry to go there again.

Young and suck was bad but watching Bird, Parish and McHale and DJ get old was bad as well.   I think watching McHale's final season was worse than the young guys playing.
I remember McHale's last game and it was pretty awesome.

Yeah, I enjoyed watching Bird, and especially McHale for whatever reason, in their twilight. 

It was definitely more fun than having 95% of the fan base rooting for the team to lose, and almost hoping for injuries (or "injuries") to our stars.

Is it weird that I remember that soul-crushing 06/07 season fondly now? Al Jefferson's #7 jersey is still on my wall, retired fondly because it was through grasping at the straws of that season and the ones before it are the seasons that turned me into a truly obsessive fan.

Same here.  I still have nightmares of one game in 05/06 when Gerald Green fouled somebody heaving a halfcourt shot at the end of a half because he bit an upfake (at half court!) and tried to block his shot.  Our record was probably like 20-35 at the time, but I was running around my apartment screaming in disbelief and wonder at why he would bite a half court up fake.  This was when, despite all the hope I was clinging onto for Geralds "superstar potential", I started to come back to earth and question if Gerald would ever be a competent player.  Oh yeah, and we lost the game by 2 points.

If we ever go through another true rebuilding phase, we need to start a thread dedicated to stories like these.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2013, 01:22:53 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
My hope is that every one has a good time, no matter where they end up.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2013, 02:29:09 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 373
I wonder if that guy stole my idea ... the KG to OKC deal is EXACTLY what I proposed this weekend.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=62450.0

« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2013, 04:46:17 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I wonder if that guy stole my idea ... the KG to OKC deal is EXACTLY what I proposed this weekend.

I think a lot of the same trades are being proposed by multiple people because there aren't a ton of options for KG / Pierce trades.

You're pretty much limited to contenders, and then you have to look at who has the right salaries and assets to present a credible offer.  That narrows it down to only a few.

The OKC trade gets mentioned because it's one of the few that seem plausible.  Same with the Clippers trade.  I thought of that as a possibility (albeit as a destination for Pierce) before it was even mentioned as a rumor that the Clips might be willing to offer Bledsoe.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2013, 05:45:26 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Why are people so anxious for us to get young and suck?  I am 41yrs old, I've been through the young and suck phase and I am in no hurry to go there again.

Young and suck was bad but watching Bird, Parish and McHale and DJ get old was bad as well.   I think watching McHale's final season was worse than the young guys playing.
I remember McHale's last game and it was pretty awesome.

Yeah, I enjoyed watching Bird, and especially McHale for whatever reason, in their twilight. 

It was definitely more fun than having 95% of the fan base rooting for the team to lose, and almost hoping for injuries (or "injuries") to our stars.

Is it weird that I remember that soul-crushing 06/07 season fondly now? Al Jefferson's #7 jersey is still on my wall, retired fondly because it was through grasping at the straws of that season and the ones before it are the seasons that turned me into a truly obsessive fan.

Same here.  I still have nightmares of one game in 05/06 when Gerald Green fouled somebody heaving a halfcourt shot at the end of a half because he bit an upfake (at half court!) and tried to block his shot.  Our record was probably like 20-35 at the time, but I was running around my apartment screaming in disbelief and wonder at why he would bite a half court up fake.  This was when, despite all the hope I was clinging onto for Geralds "superstar potential", I started to come back to earth and question if Gerald would ever be a competent player.  Oh yeah, and we lost the game by 2 points.

If we ever go through another true rebuilding phase, we need to start a thread dedicated to stories like these.

I can deal with horrendously dumb basketball players if they play with heart. Gerald did neither.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2013, 07:25:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I never root to loose in the ML year.  I can't do it.   But I do think we are setting ourselves for some dark years to come if we do not act now.   We are not winning it this year.

« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2013, 07:27:55 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I never root to loose in the ML year.  I can't do it.   But I do think we are setting ourselves for some dark years to come if we do not act now.   We are not winning it this year.

Yea but give it a chance anyways
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2013, 08:19:55 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

There are going to be dark years regardless of whether we blow up the team.  I mean, who are we going to acquire in trade that prevents / seriously shortens our rebuilding?

My thought is, since that process is going to suck terribly, why not get a year or two more of enjoyment out of this team?  Watching playoff basketball, and watching Hall of Famers as they wind down their careers, is a lot better of an experience than being in the lottery.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2013, 08:56:06 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

There are going to be dark years regardless of whether we blow up the team.  I mean, who are we going to acquire in trade that prevents / seriously shortens our rebuilding?

My thought is, since that process is going to suck terribly, why not get a year or two more of enjoyment out of this team?  Watching playoff basketball, and watching Hall of Famers as they wind down their careers, is a lot better of an experience than being in the lottery.
This.

As usual, Roy says it a lot better and simpler than I ever can.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2013, 09:27:55 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff

I think a lot of the same trades are being proposed by multiple people because there aren't a ton of options for KG / Pierce trades.

I hear ya, but this is exactly the same 4 assets I had coming back to the C's.  This guy is a troller who stole my idea.  ;)   Hopefully Ainge is trolling this board too.

« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2013, 09:31:07 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff

Funny, I disagree.  What I love most about basketball is building a team and hope for improvement.  When a team has peaked and there's no longer any hope for a title and no longer any hope for individual improvement towards the next title, I get bored - even if they are led by 2 future hall of famers.  Get a team with 5-6 young assets and every night we will see some kind of promise towards the next title, however small - at least we can dream.  And, if they lose, there's always the hope of a good lotto pick.  It's clear not everyone agrees with this sentiment, but it's where I'm coming from.

« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Funny, I disagree.  What I love most about basketball is building a team and hope for improvement.  When a team has peaked and there's no longer any hope for a title and no longer any hope for individual improvement towards the next title, I get bored - even if they are led by 2 future hall of famers.  Get a team with 5-6 young assets and every night we will see some kind of promise towards the next title, however small - at least we can dream.  And, if they lose, there's always the hope of a good lotto pick.  It's clear not everyone agrees with this sentiment, but it's where I'm coming from.

Lots of fans feel that way.  To me, though, "hope for improvement" reminds me of these days:

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2013, 09:36:34 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
I would keep this team together..remember this team has alot of new faces on this team than what we had last season. I wouldnt trade anyone. Now if u can get a Moskov kind of player for cheap, i would.
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin