Author Topic: Kobe asked why didn't Lakers draft Tatum  (Read 5127 times)

Re: Kobe asked why didn't Lakers draft Tatum
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 09:14:46 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Lakers SBN already made a tweet about it https://twitter.com/LakersSBN/status/1023760128103919616?s=19

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 09:27:00 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Thank goodness they didn't!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 10:12:05 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
It's not even insulting to Lonzo. Tatum is just clearly better. You could even ask why the Rockets didn't draft Jordan.

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 10:18:24 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
because the lakers were pretty much obligated to draft ball.

I personally think ball will be a fine player in this league, but man there's a lot of undue pressure on this guy... not that I care.

the real question is why didn't philly? did they even scout Fultz? we had one meeting with Fultz and pretty much made it known he wasn't for us.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 10:19:18 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Well… undoubtedly in about 3 years, presuming Tatum is a top 5 player, he'll be rumored to want to go to the Lakers.  The Lakers will "brilliantly" open up cap space to add him.  Tough job that Laker GM. 

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 10:21:22 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
The Fakers fell for the Ball family BS. They did pretty good with Kuczma. Ingram was a no brainer  but he hasnt shown what he is capable of yet. Same with 76ers, why didnt they take Tatum? Danny saw through the hype better.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 10:32:52 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
i was frankly scard they would .   I thought the Ball thing , might be a diversion, to taking Tatum.

I suspected Tatum was a CBs dream child as i watched his games at Duke,  all along. 

Ball is a good player , but the hype between the top three or four was not equal .  The media drooled over Fultz and Ball , while Tatum , if you really watched had NBA written all over his footwork and skills . He quietly was the best player of the top five.

Magic Johnson once again proved his lack of foresight and choose the hometown over hyped CA fan favorite of Ball.   I thnk , Lonzo would have been better off from the start with any other team than the Lakers .  Mavs , Spurs , Nets , Celtics ....where he could have a more relaxed learning period . With out all the drama of his father and Lakers organization in general.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 10:51:20 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
The Fakers fell for the Ball family BS. They did pretty good with Kuczma. Ingram was a no brainer  but he hasnt shown what he is capable of yet. Same with 76ers, why didnt they take Tatum? Danny saw through the hype better.

Not sure Ingram was a "no-brainer". He would probably go third in a redraft. Maybe he'll show more playing next to LeBron...

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 10:54:55 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

I personally think ball will be a fine player in this league, but man there's a lot of undue pressure on this guy... not that I care.

the real question is why didn't philly? did they even scout Fultz? we had one meeting with Fultz and pretty much made it known he wasn't for us.

Pretty much. If any GM could have defied fans expectations when they were brand new to the job it would have been Tragic, but even he didn't want to go there. Ball will be a decent player I think, but second in the draft seems a bit much. I think having LeBron there will actually be good for him. Will take a lot of pressure off his shoulders.

The Sixers have to be killing themselves right now. They could have had Tatum, Simmons, and Embiid right now.  :o Instead they might have traded us Fultz for Tatum AND whomever we draft with the Kings pick. Imagine...

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 11:00:32 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Glad the Lakers didn't look for Kobe's opinion. When the Cs made the trade, though, I think they were pretty certain Tatum would be there at #3. You just don't take that chance if you were definitely going to draft a guy #1.

It's also possible the Cs thought very highly of Jackson (see the plane turn-around trip) and were 'okay' if things changed and they had to take him.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 11:22:53 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 11:00:53 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

They weren't obligated, they honestly liked Ball, and a lot of others did too. Let's not forget that there were lots of people questioning whether Tatum's game would translate well to the NBA. There were plenty of people that thought he relied too much on low percentage mid range shots, that doubted he could play good defense, and feared that he wouldn't be able to shoot the three well enough in the NBA. Fortunately for us they were wrong and Danny was right.

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 01:00:31 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

Not sure Ingram was a "no-brainer". He would probably go third in a redraft. Maybe he'll show more playing next to LeBron...

Point was, the Lakers have been buying into hype on some of the recent drafts. Redraft is always 20 20 hindsight so maybe you are right. Ingram will benefit from Lebron if he listens. Not sure Ball is capable of paying attention to even Lebron with his father in his ear. I feel for the guy on that issue.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 02:14:41 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Pretty much. If any GM could have defied fans expectations when they were brand new to the job it would have been Tragic, but even he didn't want to go there. Ball will be a decent player I think, but second in the draft seems a bit much. I think having LeBron there will actually be good for him. Will take a lot of pressure off his shoulders.

The Sixers have to be killing themselves right now. They could have had Tatum, Simmons, and Embiid right now:o Instead they might have traded us Fultz for Tatum AND whomever we draft with the Kings pick. Imagine...

I think Okafor over Porzingis is killing them more. At least Fultz could still be a good player - meanwhile Okafor may be out of the league
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 05:25:24 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

They weren't obligated, they honestly liked Ball, and a lot of others did too. Let's not forget that there were lots of people questioning whether Tatum's game would translate well to the NBA. There were plenty of people that thought he relied too much on low percentage mid range shots, that doubted he could play good defense, and feared that he wouldn't be able to shoot the three well enough in the NBA. Fortunately for us they were wrong and Danny was right.

no they weren't obligated to draft ball but for all intents and purposes...