Author Topic: Cap Space and Free Agents Around the League  (Read 1818 times)

Cap Space and Free Agents Around the League
« on: July 02, 2018, 10:34:02 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
UPDATED - As of 11pm on Monday, July 10, I have the following TWO teams with more than the MLE to spend:
-Chicago $15.4M (Lavine signing filled their 15th roster spot although $15.4 under cap still)
-Atlanta $22.3M (2 roster spots)
-Sac $19.5M (2 roster spots)
-Philadelphia $14M (Wilson Chandler Trade, now over cap)
-Indy ~$12.1 (Tyreke 1 year $12 and O'Quinn 1 yr $4.4 mil now puts over cap)

My Big Board for top free agents on the market are:
1. Avery Bradley (2 years $25 with LAC)
2. Clint Capela
3. Zach Lavine (4 years $79 with Chicago)
4. Jabari Parker
5. Dwight Howard (1 year $5 with Washington)
6. Marcus Smart
7. Jusef Nurkic (4 years, $48 with Portland)
8. IT
9. Luc Mbah a Moute (1 year, $4.3 with LAC)
10. Brook Lopez (1 year, $3.4 with Milwaukee)
11. Tyreke Evans (1 year $12 with Indiana)
12. D Wade
13. Kyle Anderson (4 years, $37.2 with Memphis)
14. Rodney Hood
15. Corey Brewer
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 12:22:41 AM by action781 »
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: Cap Space and Free Agents Around the League
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 10:35:32 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
does the order play a role or is it random?

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 10:37:10 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
TP for a great post.  It's looking promising that we'll retain Smart.

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 10:37:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Do you have the Clippers releasing someone? Otherwise I think you forgot about their $6.3 million in cap holds from their 1st round picks.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 10:40:50 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
As of 10pm on Monday, July 2, I have the following teams with more than the MLE to spend:
-Chicago $24M after signing Carter and Hutchison while not renouncing Lavine
-Philadelphia $15.7M (if Shamet not signed)
-Atlanta $22.3M
-Sac $18.1M (one roster spot)
-LAC $9.1M (if renouncing Bradley)
-Indy $12.1 (not positive about this)

My Big Board for top free agents on the market are:
1. Avery Bradley
2. Clint Capela
3. Zach Lavine
4. Jabari Parker
5. Marcus Smart
6. Jusef Nurkic
7. IT
8. Luc Mbah a Moute
9. Brook Lopez
10. Tyreke Evans
11. D Wade
12. Kyle Anderson
13. Rodney Hood
guessing you're not a Dwight howard fan?

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 10:41:43 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Same thoughts, lol. Bc as much as I appreciate Avery.........

Thought Tyreke signed with the Pacers?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 10:53:01 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
Do you have the Clippers releasing someone? Otherwise I think you forgot about their $6.3 million in cap holds from their 1st round picks.
Correct, fixed.  Please let me know if anybody sees anything else I missed.

guessing you're not a Dwight howard fan?
He slipped by me as I was using free agent lists which he must have missed out on having not completed his buy out yet.  I added him to the list.

Same thoughts, lol. Bc as much as I appreciate Avery.........

Thought Tyreke signed with the Pacers?
Tyreke has not signed anywhere yet that I'm aware of.  And yes they are in rough order... I am a bigger Avery Bradley fan than most I'm sure, but I think he has a lot of value.

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 10:57:13 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
If Smart would somehow slip from our fingers and get offered a big contract elsewhere, what could we offer someone like AB while staying under the tax? He'd be an ideal fit off the bench for us with Rozier, and a one year deal could do him well to prove himself again, especially with more money being available next summer.

He'd also come in real handy against guards like Lowry, Reddick, Curry, etc. in the playoffs.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 11:08:48 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Per Bobby Marks, Indiana can have either 14.5M or 11.8M in cap space depending on if they stretch Jefferson's contract.   

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 11:14:37 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
If Smart would somehow slip from our fingers and get offered a big contract elsewhere, what could we offer someone like AB while staying under the tax? He'd be an ideal fit off the bench for us with Rozier, and a one year deal could do him well to prove himself again, especially with more money being available next summer.

He'd also come in real handy against guards like Lowry, Reddick, Curry, etc. in the playoffs.

Last I checked, I think ~8 mil
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 12:30:37 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
I'm going to try to update the OP throughout free agency as signings happen.

My thoughts on what will happen:
-Clint Capela and Luc Mbah a Moute both resign with Houston.  Houston desperately needs both of them, especially Luc with Ariza gone now, and I see no team willing to pay what Houston won't match for either of them.  I could see Luc getting looks at other places like NOP for the full MLE.
-Nurkic stays in Portland for similar reason.
-Brook Lopez stays in LAL as they are desperately thin at Center and they interestingly renounced Randle instead of Lopez to bring in Rondo, so they do still have Lopez' bird rights.
-Avery Bradley I think stays in LAC since they only have the MLE to work with otherwise and might be able to get him at a fair deal (I think he's worth $18-20M/yr).  A one-year deal like JJ Redick's last season wouldn't surprise me.  Also Doc loves him and they just traded away Austin.  I could see Philly making him an enticing offer though and I think he makes a lot of sense there.  I don't think Sac or Atlanta go after him, but maybe Chicago if they lose Zach Lavine to Atlanta.
-Zach Lavine... I think Atlanta makes a run at him.  Will probably require all of their cap space for Chicago not to match.  I don't think Sac or Philly or Indy will have much interest.
-Jabari Parker I think will fairly strong draw interest from Sacramento, Atlanta, Indiana, and Chicago. I don't think Milwaukee matches.
-Marcus Smart I think will find the most interest from Philly and Sacramento.  Sacramento is big right now on trying to create a winning culture which is one of Smart's best potential attributes.  If Philly is wise, they should offer Smart a 3-year deal at just enough $ to put Boston in the luxury tax.  If they get him, then thats they gain while Boston loses.  If they do not get him, they get a small victory by forcing their future rival into the tax and into repeater rates one season sooner.  I'd say 60% chance he's a Celtic, 20% chance a King, 20% chance a 76er, Pacer, Hawk, or Bull.
-I think IT signs a 2 year full MLE deal with a player option in year 2 with a team like Milwaukee, Detroit, NYK, or Orlando.
-Tyreke I have no clue.
-D Wade I see most likely staying in Miami.  I don't see him tagging along with Lebron again.  OKC maybe though with their taxpayer MLE?  Or maybe Philly, NOP or Minnesota for more?  Or Houston?  I feel like he probably either wants to play with friends and win or stay in the East.
-With how far down the list Kyle Anderson will be as a FA target for teams with cap space, I don't see a scenario that SA doesn't match any offer sheet he signs.
-Same goes for Rodney Hood, I see Cleveland matching any offer for him as the offers won't likely be very large and he's a youngish guy with some potential and they have a ton of minutes open at SF to let him build some value.
-Lastly, I unlikely see Indy making any big signing.  They have a nice thing going right now and I don't see anybody obtainable that moves the needle much.  On the other hand, they have a ton of cap space flexibility opening up next offseason, even more if they just let Big Al's dead money sit rather than stretch, and having available cap space could open up some opportunities to acquire draft picks by taking some cash off of luxury tax paying teams.

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 06:28:09 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
Board Updated. 

I really like the waiting game that Sac, Chicago, and Atlanta are playing.  I think they could potentially get guys like Lavine and Parker at discounts by doing so and force Houston to overpay for Capela.

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 06:35:27 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Board Updated. 

I really like the waiting game that Sac, Chicago, and Atlanta are playing.  I think they could potentially get guys like Lavine and Parker at discounts by doing so and force Houston to overpay for Capela.
The Kings amazingly haven't done anything stupid yet.  Are the Kings, Bulls and Atlanta going to spend their cap space on free agents or are they going to use it for salary dump trades?   

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 07:05:49 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Board Updated. 

Chicago might be able to get Parker.  I don’t think that you’ll see many other offers to RFAs.  None of Atlanta, Chicago, or Sacramento have real room for Capela on their roster without blocking a top draft pick, so if they sign him they run a real risk of signing him to a bad contract that they didn’t want.

Better to get picks for cap space.  Capela will use the threat of leaving as an unrestricted free agent next year to negotiate with Houston.