Author Topic: Celtics (2-1) at Cavs (1-2) ECF Game #4 5/21/18  (Read 68740 times)

Re: Celtics (2-1) at Cavs (1-2) ECF Game #4 5/21/18
« Reply #1485 on: May 22, 2018, 12:07:11 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
http://twitter.com/johnschuhmann/status/998773775234686976

“Baynes + Horford: + 10 in 10.2 minutes tonight.

I’ll just repurpose my ‘The Celtics need a lineup change’ story for Game 5.”

Brad’s pre-game conference before Game 5: “We’re sticking with the same starters.”  ::)
I would have gone

Starters
Smart, Brown, Morris, Horford, Baynes.

Rozier comes in when Brown or Smart leave.
Tatum comes in when Morris or Horford leave.
Semi comes in if some one is in foul trouble only.

« Reply #1486 on: May 22, 2018, 12:08:15 AM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Questionable (abysmal) calls that went against us tonight:

Rozier gets fouled and hits layup and gets NO continuation like James ALWAYS gets and we get ball out on side.

George Hill literally SHOVED Rozier about 5 feet beyond the three point line with BOTH hands and NO call and he passes and then just looks at the ref like what the heck.

Jaylen get raked on arm by Korver (clearly seen on replay) on a layup/drive and NO call.

The announcers talk about Tatum missing a dunk but Nance hacked him on the wrist (ONCE again CLEAR as a bell on the replay).

George Hill knocks Tatum sideways and off balance on his jump shot from 14 feet and no call.

Those are just a few.

Smitty77
You're forgetting the Marcus Morris offensive because a Cav ran into his leg while shooting a three. A seldom called foul where during the season much, much worse stuff was continually called for the defender. Just a terrible call.

You'realso firgetting the call where the Cavs threw the ball out of bounds where it hit a ref but Cleveland somehow kept possession. Clearly a terrible call.

Thanks for refreshing my memory Nick!!  I do think Morris kicked out his leg and that was a foul, BUT he had released the ball PRIOR to that, therefore the three SHOULD have counted!!

Smitty77

Scott Foster and Bill Kennedy.  All that needs to be said.

« Reply #1487 on: May 22, 2018, 12:08:49 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Missed dunks, layups and free throws. We could have won that game.
Yeah, I don't know what the breakdown is but the Cs from inside 5 feet were atrocious.

Tatum blew some easy layups and also threw some ugly shots on mid-range jumpers when he was trying to draw fouls. Gotta just go for the shot and play through the contact, don't expect a call.

« Reply #1488 on: May 22, 2018, 12:10:52 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Yeah, I don't know what the breakdown is but the Cs from inside 5 feet were atrocious.

Tatum blew some easy layups and also threw some ugly shots on mid-range jumpers when he was trying to draw fouls. Gotta just go for the shot and play through the contact, don't expect a call.

So you do not think that George Hill made extreme contact with his shoulder on Tatum on that late 14 foot leaner???  It is sort of difficult to play through contact when you are knocked sideways in the air in the middle of your jump shot!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #1489 on: May 22, 2018, 12:12:05 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

So you do not think that George Hill made extreme contact with his shoulder on Tatum on that late 14 foot leaner???  It is sort of difficult to play through contact when you are knocked sideways in the air in the middle of your jump shot!!!

Smitty77

Sure, but you gotta play through it in the playoffs, especially on the road. That's part of the learning process for our young guys.

« Reply #1490 on: May 22, 2018, 12:43:17 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
You're forgetting the Marcus Morris offensive because a Cav ran into his leg while shooting a three. A seldom called foul where during the season much, much worse stuff was continually called for the defender. Just a terrible call.

I've only ever seen one other call that was anything like, well, that, and it came during the 4th quarter, I believe, of Game 6 against the Pistons in the 2008 ECF. Pierce, on the left side of the court, faked Tayshaun out of his shoes while Paul was behind the three point line, actually made the basket while Prince landed on him, and the official immediately wiped out the basket and called Pierce for an offensive foul, LOL ::). Paul and Doc couldn't stop laughing, and I can't exactly say that I blame them, as the call was beyond hilarious. Atrocious, yes, but also beyond hilarious.

« Reply #1491 on: May 22, 2018, 12:45:00 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I would have gone

Starters
Smart, Brown, Morris, Horford, Baynes.

Rozier comes in when Brown or Smart leave.
Tatum comes in when Morris or Horford leave.
Semi comes in if some one is in foul trouble only.

Stop ;D.

« Reply #1492 on: May 22, 2018, 01:23:33 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
I'm guessing the concussion was the reason why LeBron lost Game 2....

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1493 on: May 22, 2018, 01:32:18 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I'm guessing the concussion was the reason why LeBron lost Game 2....

And he was merely getting the lay of the land in Game 1 ::).

« Reply #1494 on: May 22, 2018, 01:51:35 AM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Pathetic effort for the second game in a row. Getting outworked and outhustled by guys that have been slugs all year like Korver, Hill and Thompson.
Many here fail to give the Cavs credit. They're playing well, hustling and still have LeBron. Their rebounding really gives the Celtics problems.
'

That might have a little something to do with them going big and us refusing to respond and staying small, all while switching everything and gifting them mismatches to exploit left and right.
I'd like to see someone ask Brad about that post game.
Let me repeat myself: Brad doesn't do adjustments! He needs three days to mull it over, because he's "cerebral". Unfortunately, an NBA game lasts 48 minutes so that's too bad for him...

I mean, that's the thing - it has clearly not been working the entire series and was amplified in game 3, yet there still was no adjustment!

It's inexcusable that we didn't make any adjustments to that for game 4 and allowed them to abuse us in mismatches due to this scheme.
Actually I think there were a lot of switches in Games 1 and 2 that worked pretty well and forced LeBron into bad shots. I don't mind the switches, just pack the paint and be ready to close out on shooters. You need effort from all 5 guys and it's going to work... except now you're perhaps getting effort from one guy. If that.

Yeah, switches with the swings or bigs (or Smart), which nobody is really complaining about, as they can hold their own.

The last two games they consistently tried to switch Rozier on either Lebron or the bigs, which clearly hasn't worked at all as that's just too much of a mismatch to overcome.

Wow. You are so missing this. The Celtics did not try to switch Rozier onto Lebron.  The Cavs are forcing the mismatch.  They aren't running a pick with Tatum's man.  They run the pick with George Hill. This isn't a question of Brad trying to put Rozier on Lebron, this is a question of the Cavs trying to create a mismatch.  Pretty much how all basketball teams work. This is basketball 101.

In fact, Brad made the adjustment with Horford as the help defender off of the switch when Jaylen had to make the switch, with Terry being forced to identify and close out on the open man. 

« Reply #1495 on: May 22, 2018, 02:09:10 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Pathetic effort for the second game in a row. Getting outworked and outhustled by guys that have been slugs all year like Korver, Hill and Thompson.
Many here fail to give the Cavs credit. They're playing well, hustling and still have LeBron. Their rebounding really gives the Celtics problems.
'

That might have a little something to do with them going big and us refusing to respond and staying small, all while switching everything and gifting them mismatches to exploit left and right.
Let me repeat myself: Brad doesn't do adjustments! He needs three days to mull it over, because he's "cerebral". Unfortunately, an NBA game lasts 48 minutes so that's too bad for him...

I mean, that's the thing - it has clearly not been working the entire series and was amplified in game 3, yet there still was no adjustment!

It's inexcusable that we didn't make any adjustments to that for game 4 and allowed them to abuse us in mismatches due to this scheme.
Actually I think there were a lot of switches in Games 1 and 2 that worked pretty well and forced LeBron into bad shots. I don't mind the switches, just pack the paint and be ready to close out on shooters. You need effort from all 5 guys and it's going to work... except now you're perhaps getting effort from one guy. If that.

Yeah, switches with the swings or bigs (or Smart), which nobody is really complaining about, as they can hold their own.

The last two games they consistently tried to switch Rozier on either Lebron or the bigs, which clearly hasn't worked at all as that's just too much of a mismatch to overcome.

Wow. You are so missing this. The Celtics did not try to switch Rozier onto Lebron.  The Cavs are forcing the mismatch.  They aren't running a pick with Tatum's man.  They run the pick with George Hill. This isn't a question of Brad trying to put Rozier on Lebron, this is a question of the Cavs trying to create a mismatch.  Pretty much how all basketball teams work. This is basketball 101.

In fact, Brad made the adjustment with Horford as the help defender off of the switch when Jaylen had to make the switch, with Terry being forced to identify and close out on the open man.
That's not really true though. They're not forcing the switch at all. We are just refusing to fight through / go under the pick. Even Mark freakin' Jackson was picking up on this.

The Cavs are trying to force the mismatch, but we're letting them
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1496 on: May 22, 2018, 02:21:13 AM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
'

That's not really true though. They're not forcing the switch at all. We are just refusing to fight through / go under the pick. Even Mark freakin' Jackson was picking up on this.

The adjustment on the switch, without abandoning the switch, was made in the second half.  Boneheaded plays by Rozier and Smart cost us the game.  Not the switching.  It actually brought us back into the game.

« Reply #1497 on: May 22, 2018, 02:36:14 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
'

The adjustment on the switch, without abandoning the switch, was made in the second half.  Boneheaded plays by Rozier and Smart cost us the game.  Not the switching.  It actually brought us back into the game.
Yeah, but at that stage we had been down by nearly 20 on numerous times, after getting scorched by Rozier on LeBron/TT. It was a bit late
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1498 on: May 22, 2018, 03:37:49 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
'

Your comment is spot on Koz.

Sometimes your greatest strength is also weakness.

Stevens looks more human now.

But he has three days until the next game  ;)

« Reply #1499 on: May 22, 2018, 06:25:07 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
'

Your comment is spot on Koz.

Sometimes your greatest strength is also weakness.

Stevens looks more human now.

But he has three days until the next game  ;)

Next game is Wednesday. That's tomorrow. Unless you are talking dog years that is only one day from today.

I knew it was a lot but just read this...
Boston missed a staggering 15 dunks and layups overall.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 07:49:30 AM by hodgy03038 »