Author Topic: McConnell is a headache. How to deal with the little...  (Read 3716 times)

McConnell is a headache. How to deal with the little...
« on: May 08, 2018, 03:55:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Rozier can't stay in front of him. And is even having troubles bringing up the goal

What would be a good gameplan to neutralize McConnell

can't believe need to even worry about this pain in the butt.

Re: McConnell is a headache. How to deal with the little...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 03:59:24 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Not letting him blow by you like he's Allen Iverson might help. The criticism of Rozier perimeter D on him is completely justified. Also challenging him at the rim could me effective --> I'm talking to you, Monroe, even though I doubt you'll get any more minutes this series.

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 04:07:25 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Don't exaggerate who McConnell is. There's a reason he's a backup. He's a role player who had one of the games of his career last night. Hats off to him.

Next game the Celtics will be playing on their home court, and chances are the whole team won't be playing with foul trouble. That should help.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 04:09:07 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I agree with Ed. He's a backup PG (and not a particularly good one at that) who had one very good game.

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 04:09:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Not letting him blow by you like he's Allen Iverson might help. The criticism of Rozier perimeter D on him is completely justified. Also challenging him at the rim could me effective --> I'm talking to you, Monroe, even though I doubt you'll get any more minutes this series.

Just stay back and let him beat you with his ugly 3 pt shot.  On the offensive end, set multiple picks, PNR ... tire him out

Hopefully Larkin is ok and can play next game.  HE would help tire him out or keep him out the game

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 04:09:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You don't gameplan for TJ McConnell.

Just play hard and don't sell out to defend him.  He's not a good shooter.  He's a smart decisionmaker, he hustles, he handles the ball well.  He's sort of like their Smart, only he doesn't jack threes.

If the Celts play hard at home on Wednesday and the role players hit shots, the Celts will win.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 04:10:41 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Monroe will probably get more minutes in this series, it's easy to forget that that he walked off of game 2 to an ovation from the crowd. His post scoring was instrumental in settling down the onslaught that Philly brought to start game 2.

He's physically as large as Embiid and we will need him to soak up some time while Baynes get's some rest. Last night he was put in when the team was starting to mentally check out and the Sixers were on fire. IMO he'll be fine once he get's back to Boston.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 04:11:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I agree with Ed. He's a backup PG (and not a particularly good one at that) who had one very good game.

In the last 2 seasons...McConnell has played the Celts tough... I don't think team should take him lightly.  If we lose game 5, I wouldn''t be surprised if this series goes to 7

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 04:16:23 PM »

Offline mspring

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11

In the last 2 seasons...McConnell has played the Celts tough... I don't think team should take him lightly.  If we lose game 5, I wouldn''t be surprised if this series goes to 7

I agree, he has given us trouble in the past.  Every once in a while there will be a player that seems to light up against the Celtics and play us better than against other teams.  Way back when Brad Miller was that player against us!

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 04:35:46 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Role players always seem to play better at home in these series.

Expect him to regress tomorrow night.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 04:42:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
This is where we will miss Shane the most.

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 04:47:18 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Don't exaggerate who McConnell is. There's a reason he's a backup. He's a role player who had one of the games of his career last night. Hats off to him.

So is Rozier... and Smart... and Morris... and everyone else not named Horford, Tatum or Brown. It doesn't mean that he can't do it again.

He presents a problem because he's an actual basketball player unlike Ben Simmons (who I still don't understand what his function is on an NBA team). I have been one of the people on this board that has been very confident in a Celtics series win, but I will say this: The Celtics are going to have to figure out how to keep him out of the paint or they will lose again. It's just as simple as that. Once he gets into the paint, it enables their entire offense (something that hasn't happened in 3 games). He can either score, alley-oop Embiid, or kick out for an open 3.

I guarantee you that they are.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 04:53:04 PM by Erik »

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 05:13:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

So is Rozier... and Smart... and Morris... and everyone else not named Horford, Tatum or Brown. It doesn't mean that he can't do it again.

He presents a problem because he's an actual basketball player unlike Ben Simmons (who I still don't understand what his function is on an NBA team). I have been one of the people on this board that has been very confident in a Celtics series win, but I will say this: The Celtics are going to have to figure out how to keep him out of the paint or they will lose again. It's just as simple as that. Once he gets into the paint, it enables their entire offense (something that hasn't happened in 3 games). He can either score, alley-oop Embiid, or kick out for an open 3.

I guarantee you that they are.

What a sneak job by the 76ers. Prior to start of game 4... Brown stated , he is going with the same lineup

Then who starts? McConnell

He did it on purpose to throw CBS off. 

It worked

Next game CBS will be prepared

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 05:15:03 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The problem is that our guards are pressuring the perimeter with the assumption that there's someone behind them to guard the basket. We don't. The shooting/scoring threat that Philly bigs represent doesn't allow our bigs to roam the pain to help out.

So Rozier, et al. is getting beaten off the dribble instead of staying in front of their man, which is causing problems.

Oh, and WE CAN'T FREAKING REBOUND!

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 05:33:55 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
we need to step on doosh face boy!