Author Topic: Giannis inability to hit the jump shot will unable him to reach elite status  (Read 7718 times)

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Giannis is not the most savy player on the court alot of the time .   His shear height ,freak athletic ability he forces the play to succeed.    Him and Westbrook remind me of race greyhounds

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
To answer your question; the first two to come to mind are Garnett and Duncan.
Huh? Garnett and Duncan could both shoot from their rookie year till their last year.

Duncan shot 42% on long twos his rookie year, Garnett shot 41% and both shot them pretty frequently.

The knock on Giannis in the OP was that he didn’t have three point range.
Eh, mentions 3 point shooting but mostly about shooting in general. Nor does he need it honestly given that his ability to attack the rim means that just any reliable jumper will go a long way to giving him room to work.

Think Westbrook and LeBron having the pull up as an option opened things up for them so much as they improved their game. Ideally you want the 3 as an option eventually of course.

Giannis’ mid range jumper has become serviceable.

Do you even remember him taking/making a mid range jump shot so far?  Serviceable means he will mix it up into his repertoire. And do it comfortably with decent pressure against him

If he can make it when WIDE open, non playoff environment, it is kind of useless

He had a step-back move to the FT line against Horford last night.  The move looked really good, the shot...not so much but it went it.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
triboy Giannis made 2 jumpers just this last game, which I know you just watched last night lol. Shot chart shows 2 jumpers made out of 6. His three wasn't even close, but his short jumper looks solid.

If anything its not that it isn't there for him, he just needs to take it more confidently. But you also don't want him to settle either. He needs better coaching and offensive system/plan to balance it all and open the floor for him.

C's do a good job of this with all, he took 5 jump shots (1 of which was a 3)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
To answer your question; the first two to come to mind are Garnett and Duncan.
Huh? Garnett and Duncan could both shoot from their rookie year till their last year.

Duncan shot 42% on long twos his rookie year, Garnett shot 41% and both shot them pretty frequently.

The knock on Giannis in the OP was that he didn’t have three point range.
Eh, mentions 3 point shooting but mostly about shooting in general. Nor does he need it honestly given that his ability to attack the rim means that just any reliable jumper will go a long way to giving him room to work.

Think Westbrook and LeBron having the pull up as an option opened things up for them so much as they improved their game. Ideally you want the 3 as an option eventually of course.

Giannis’ mid range jumper has become serviceable.

Do you even remember him taking/making a mid range jump shot so far?  Serviceable means he will mix it up into his repertoire. And do it comfortably with decent pressure against him

If he can make it when WIDE open, non playoff environment, it is kind of useless

He had a step-back move to the FT line against Horford last night.  The move looked really good, the shot...not so much but it went it.

within 5-7 feet with his length I don't even consider that shooting. More like pushing/flipping the ball in

I'm talking about catch and shoot or dribble stop and shoot from 15 feet and out

I think ELITE is being used lightly. 

Jaylen Brown once he reaches potential/consistency will be better than Giannis. Book it

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I think his 10-16 foot jumpers are pretty good. Especially if he takes them in rhythm instead of a panic.

He dribbles into trouble a lot because the Bucks just don't have any other plan other than for him to create if Middleton's action doesn't work properly.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
triboy Giannis made 2 jumpers just this last game, which I know you just watched last night lol. Shot chart shows 2 jumpers made out of 6. His three wasn't even close, but his short jumper looks solid.

If anything its not that it isn't there for him, he just needs to take it more confidently. But you also don't want him to settle either. He needs better coaching and offensive system/plan to balance it all and open the floor for him.

those were considered jump shots? I don't know

I haven't seen a clean confident stroke from 17 ft when the intensity really picks up/late in games

and without it, teams can prepare for his weapon of choice (drive to basket for layup)

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
within 5-7 feet with his length I don't even consider that shooting. More like pushing/flipping the ball in
Okay, can we have some real talk? Because I am concerned.

How far do you think the free throw line is from the hoop?

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Giannis is elite already... without the jumper... you can't defend him with one player... and he can find the free shooter... taller than guards... faster than centers... except LeBron and Durant who can defend him alone... you need Brown outside and Horford inside and hope the shooter misses...

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Giannis is elite already... without the jumper... you can't defend him with one player... and he can find the free shooter... taller than guards... faster than centers... except LeBron and Durant who can defend him alone... you need Brown outside and Horford inside and hope the shooter misses...

define elite?

because if it was KD or Lebron or Leonard or Curry in place of Giannis....Bucks might be up 2-0 instead

Elite = cream of the crop

something Giannis is not at the moment

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Jayson Tatum only shot 25.8% from 3-10 feet.  He had nearly 11% of all of his attempts from that range.  Brown wasn't much better at 32.1% and nearly 14% of his attempts from that range.

You can nitpick everyone for something. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

you are using examples (his 2 jump shots out of how many he took in total) to state that he can shoot a clean/comfortable jump shot. Especially required late in games to avoid running into a wall

So basically the reality is that he can't shoot

and goes back to my point...that if you can't as a forward in todays league, you can't be considered elite

Example ...last night with 2 min left, lane clogged, he had time and space (considering his length) to shoot a 3 or a long mid range. But he was just surveying the floor, uncomfortable, and shot a brick 3

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674

I haven't seen a clean confident stroke from 17 ft when the intensity really picks up/late in games

and without it, teams can prepare for his weapon of choice (drive to basket for layup)

Teams can prepare for it, and then Giannis scores anyway. 

You're really underselling how good this guy is at getting to the rim.  You can pack the paint and he still finishes. 

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Bucks are a bad playoff team but this has nothing to do with Giannis. He's been elite for some time now.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

you are using examples (his 2 jump shots out of how many he took in total) to state that he can shoot a clean/comfortable jump shot. Especially required late in games to avoid running into a wall

So basically the reality is that he can't shoot

and goes back to my point...that if you can't as a forward in todays league, you can't be considered elite

Example ...last night with 2 min left, lane clogged, he had time and space (considering his length) to shoot a 3 or a long mid range. But he was just surveying the floor, uncomfortable, and shot a brick 3
Look, you commented on how a step back jumper at the free throw line wasn't impressive because it was:

How far is the free throw line from the hoop. I'm guessing you wrote a long paragraph to not answer that is that you know in your heart, its not 5 to 7 feet.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Teams can prepare for it, and then Giannis scores anyway. 

You're really underselling how good this guy is at getting to the rim.  You can pack the paint and he still finishes.

You will see in the playoffs like last night/proper game plan...that he can't do that when lane is clogged/late in games

It happened during the regular season also

again I never said he sukks. OR is not a good player.  Just don't say he is elite or will be without a jump shot

Its like the same thing that prevented Rondo to become an elite PG