Author Topic: Shane Larkin signs with Celtics  (Read 20674 times)

Re: Shane Larkin signs with Celtics
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2017, 01:04:55 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Honestly is a horrible signing, considering Derrick Rose is looking to sign with the Cavaliers for 2.5 million.  I would rather pay an extra million to have Rose come off the bench.  Plays less minutes, had a good year last year, less likely to be injuried off the bench.  Would have been a great signing to give us scoring off the bench, plus of Thomas isn't 100 we'd have a true backup.

Derrick Rose makes teams worse, not better. Does it not tell you anything that in a summer Jeff Teague got 3 years and 58 million, Jrue Holiday got 5 years and 126 million, George Hill got 3 years and 57 million, Rose would get 2.5 million at age 28?
Great comparisons, TP.

« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2017, 01:05:04 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Derrick rose isn't reliable Nor Coming for the Minimum. We needed a replacement for jackson. We got it
Right on. No other explanation needed.  We can shut this thread down now.

...except that doesn't answer the question of who isn't making the roster if Larkin is.  Either Yabu won't be signed or someone won't be kept
I'm bitter.

« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2017, 01:06:39 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
As usual someone knows something we don't.

I have a feeling IT isn't going to be with us for the season opening.

Because with a healthy IT the Celtics should be content with Smart as a backup PG. With Smart as the starter, that leaves Rozier as the teams backup PG. Not so good.

Yeah I have a bad feeling about this, too. I'm not sure if it's IT's health or contract issues that prompted the Larkin signing. Hope I'm worried about nothing.

Contract issues with who? Larkin isn't capable of replacing IT if we had contract issues with him (nor is there anything the team could do this year to pay IT more if he did have an issue)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2017, 01:07:15 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
http://twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/888047229034012672

Jay King is saying that sources are reporting that Yab is still in Boston's plans.

And Adam Kaufman says Larkin is just a camp invite, so it looks like that still works

Quote from: Adam Kaufman
#Celtics have plenty of guard depth. Shane Larkin's a training camp invite, likely little else. He'll get a cursory look, wind up elsewhere.

I do question the "plenty of guard depth", though

Camp invites can still come with a good chunk of guaranteed money, however. 

That said, and someone like Dario or Greece needs to correct me, wasn't there an issue with Larkin's Spanish team matching his offer sheet, but not having the money to actually pay him?  I feel I remember reading about that last week.  If so, I suppose it's possible he was looking for a training camp deal so he could get out of that Euro situation, and then sign on again somewhere if he's cut.

Yes, Salt, here I am.

In the Spanish Corrupt Basketball League, there is something similar to RFA in the NBA. When the end of a season comes and many players finish their contracts, teams can elect some of them as "eligible to match offers".

So, Baskonia put Shane Larkin and Adam Hanga on that list. Barcelona agreed to terms with both players, and reagarding Larkin it was something like 6 million (€) for two seasons. On the last day to match, Baskonia did it for both players, but with the idea of negociating with Barcelona some money to let them go, I mean to keep control of them. Supposedly, Baskonia can't afford these two contracts and that's why this is a vicious, tainted system.

In any case (staying in Baskonia or going to Barça) he had 6 million guaranteed for two seasons with a stellar role in one of Euroleague powerhorses. So it wouldn't have sense for him to renounce this money just for a training camp invitation.

I hope I've explained it well.

BTW, I've read Boston top newspaper reportes stating that BOTH Theis and Larkin have this upcoming season minimum contract guarantees. So this means three things:

1. We have a trade in mind.
2. We stash Yabusele again. Don't think it's the most probable scenario.
3. We'll waive a guaranteed contract after training camp, like last years.

TP for the explanation of how things work in Spain.

« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2017, 01:22:03 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Guess we're trading IT for Saric after all. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2017, 01:35:28 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Larkin was pretty awful with the Nets.  Hopefully he's improved some since then, but even if he did he's a borderline NBA player.  Emergency PG depth but I'm not a fan of this move.

7.3 ppg 4.4 APG .360% from three. That's not that bad.

« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2017, 01:57:07 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Wouldn't be the Celtics without a glut of pg's ::)

« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2017, 02:10:28 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Don't really think this means much outside of competition for camp. Only have IT, Smart, and Rozier as ball handlers. Might just be a way to make sure Smart and Rozier don't coast I to the preseason.

« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2017, 02:26:52 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
There is only one thing to see here.

Thomas is injured, there will probably be still another point guard in camp also.

Ainge has Smart and Rozier...both of them are sorta ok point guards who are better playing next to a real point guard or even backing one up. Let's throw a couple more into the mix.

Ainge loves small, low scoring point guards....hooray, he's got another.

It's a tactical move, the Spanish league is gonna be turned upside down by this signing.

Shane Larkin with Celtics---6 minutes per game. He's going to back up one of the back ups. Sheesh. (if I keep this up, he'll end up starting game 7 in the ECF and hit like 8 threes)

What about contracts? Somebody gets cut before the season starts. Happens all the time....wait a minute...how about we just cut Larkin before the season starts?

« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2017, 03:10:29 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
The thing that I think that this really helps with is having a few guys at the bottom of the roster who aren't content with the fact that their contract is guaranteed and someone else's isn't. It promotes fear and competition at this level and the result should be a better player at that final spot instead of someone who sees themselves as the 15th guy. Watching his highlights you see a guy who can drive and dish which is really good for a team that relies on their 3 pt shooting. Good pickup. If he stays great. If he doesn't, no big loss.

« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2017, 03:15:50 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
"Its not a successful offseason until ainge gets his undersized guard "

« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2017, 02:14:31 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
If its a non guaranteed contract, he's probably not on the team and just a body for the training camp

« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2017, 04:59:54 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
If its a non guaranteed contract, he's probably not on the team and just a body for the training camp

It's guaranteed the whole season, per some Boston reporters.

BTW, to close the circle, guess who will possibly be his substitute @ FCBarcelona:

PHIL PRESSEY   ;D

« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2017, 05:10:23 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

BTW, to close the circle, guess who will possibly be his substitute @ FCBarcelona:

PHIL PRESSEY   ;D

That's perfect, these two players are having parallel lives.

Btw, I don't know the ACB League that well, but I think Larkin was in Baskonia.

edit: my bad, I was talking with a Greek friend on Larkin and he just mentioned Barcelona was after him.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 08:37:42 AM by greece666 »

« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2017, 06:34:34 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

PHIL PRESSEY   ;D

That's perfect, these two players are having parallel lives.

Btw, I don't know the ACB League that well, but I think Larkin was in Baskonia.

Above, in this same 7th page of the thread, you have my explanation to Saltlover (and to everyone who wants to read it) of that quoted. Take a look  8)