Poll

If we could keep Smart, Bradley, Jae and Brown, would you trade #1 pick?

Yes
33 (37.5%)
No
55 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: 2017: Would you trade the #1 pick for Jimmy Butler ?  (Read 13331 times)

2017: Would you trade the #1 pick for Jimmy Butler ?
« on: January 09, 2017, 05:24:32 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Yeah it's that time of the year again. Almost at All Star Break. Another Jimmy Butler poll.
But he's been playing very well, and the rumors have started again.

If we get the #1 pick from the Nets, and Danny managed to swing a deal which was just the #1 pick and some filler like Amir and Rozier plus Memphis pick, would you trade the pick?

In this scenario we get to keep Bradley, Smart, Crowder and Brown.

I know that many of you will say 'the Bulls would never do that', but I don't agree. I think they'd trade him straight up for #1, with a few small sweeteners like Rozier and the Memphis pick.

I think the front office is in trouble there, and they are desperate to keep their jobs. Garpax having been screwing up for a while now and getting the #1 pick in a loaded draft is a way for them to start a rebuilding project whilst securing their jobs.
We'd have:
IT
Bradley
Butler
Horford
KO

Smart
Crowder
Jerebko
Zeller
Brown

Out of curiosity, and if you're interested in discussing..what are people's thoughts on a deal for
a)#1 + Brown or
b)2017 BRk+ 2018 BRK pick

if we could keep our core of players like Bradley, Smart, Jae?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: 2017: Would you trade the #1 pick for Jimmy Butler ?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 05:29:50 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I think it's unrealistic to expect to get Butler and keep Smart, Crowder, Brown and Bradley. If you can keep all those players to get Butler, like you propose, then I think you should do it. It's unlikely any player the Celtics draft, even in the top 3, ever becomes as good as Butler currently is.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 05:31:01 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I would not trade two of Brown and the Brooklyn picks.  And the only player I'm trading this year's Brooklyn pick for is Cousins.  Butler is a better version of players we already have.  Cousins is the missing piece.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 05:32:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Rather trade 2018 pick, KO , Rozier  and Crowder

Smart , Bulter and IT would be a scoring Machine .....add Horford at 4 and Zizic 5

Draft Giles to play the 4 behind Horford

That's my plan ...... ;D

A change of heart from the Kings to sell off Boogie changes everything,....mind you

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 05:40:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yes. In a second.

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 05:45:02 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
@saltlover

You would trade Brown and the '18 BRN pick for Butler, but not Brown and the '17 BRN pick (?)

Did I understand your comment correctly?

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 05:45:34 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Nope. I would trade it for Cousins, maybe for PG13. Problem is, they are also EXPIRING DEALS this summer.

Butler doesn't thread the needle for us like Cousins or PG13 would, and the cost to acquire him would be great too.

I think Danny keeps the pick to be honest. I don't see a team overpaying for the Brooklyn Pick and I think teams will try their best to rip off Danny in a trade (but Danny will hold firm).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 05:49:37 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Yep. The number one pick would be nice, but for us it's value is even more valuable as a trade target. If we could do something like salary filler, Rozier, and the #1 pick for Butler, I do that every day of the week. But with it being the number one pick, Rozier would be the limit of value that I'd send out in addition to the number one pick.

In today's NBA age, having versatile wing players like Butler, Crowder, Smart, Bradley, and Brown all on the same team is a major, major asset.  We could literally put a defensively elite small-ball unit out there of Smart, Bradley, Butler, Crowder, and Horford, which is absolutely insane.

Getting Butler for that type of package would also enable us to dangle one of Crowder or Brown alongside the 2018 Brooklyn pick for an upgrade in the big department, even for something like an extend-and-trade scenario with Cousins.

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 05:53:22 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
@saltlover

You would trade Brown and the '18 BRN pick for Butler, but not Brown and the '17 BRN pick (?)

Did I understand your comment correctly?

No.  I changed my mind while I was writing -- I'm not trading 2017 Brooklyn, and I'm only trading one of Jaylen and 2018 Brooklyn.  Baked in there is an assumption that Bradley HAS to be included for Butler because there just aren't enough minutes or dollars.  So since Bradley has to be included for the resulting team to make sense, only one of Brown or 2018 Brooklyn can be included.

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 05:57:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
This franchise has had multiple opportunities for franchise players via the draft and whiffed in 1997 (though Billups developed into a great player for other teams), 2007 (though we made the best of it), 2014 (though Smart looks like a quality role player) and 2016 (though Jaylen may still develop into something special).   We're due to actually land a special player.   Considering it would likely take more than just that pick to land Premium Brand Ricky Davis, I'm definitely in the "no" camp.   Keep the pick and let's hope for the best.

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 06:00:05 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Yes!

Right now it's mostly PG's and SF's in the top ten. Ball might be nice with the 6'6" frame next to IT and they can share the ball handling, not sure how his D and spot up shooting is though. But out side of that if you keep the pick it's to trade draftnight, or you're trading IT and Horford and building around Smart,Brown and the 2017, and 2018 pick.

Bulter is light years ahead of everyone in the draft, so unless people want to wait 3 to 5 more years you grow a pair an take the chance trading for Butler pays off better than missing out on a future all-star, and if we can keep Brown, we have our young buck to groom with vet players.

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 06:06:26 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Is that all we're giving up? Even if it is, I don't know if I could stomach that.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 06:07:16 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Probably so, yes.

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 06:10:01 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
yes
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 06:17:25 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
This franchise has had multiple opportunities for franchise players via the draft and whiffed in 1997 (though Billups developed into a great player for other teams), 2007 (though we made the best of it), 2014 (though Smart looks like a quality role player) and 2016 (though Jaylen may still develop into something special).   We're due to actually land a special player.   Considering it would likely take more than just that pick to land Premium Brand Ricky Davis, I'm definitely in the "no" camp.   Keep the pick and let's hope for the best.

Wow, how many "thoughs" can one have in one sentence? Though you make a good point about Billups developing into a great player, your other statements are way off. Should top 5 picks guarentee franchise players? I don't think so. Otherwise we'd have about 50-75 franchise players in the NBA.

How can Danny get criticized for wiffing on Jeff Green when he traded him for Ray Allen?

How do you know that Marcus will be just a role player?

How is Jaylen Brown a wiff? You called last years draft very weak.

Most interestingly, how is Jimmy Butler a premium Ricky Davis?

Though I disagreed with most of what you wrote, I do think that the Celtics are due to pick a special player.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:23:07 PM by green_bballers13 »