Author Topic: It's Time To Think Hard About Trading For Andrew Bogut  (Read 12747 times)

It's Time To Think Hard About Trading For Andrew Bogut
« on: November 25, 2016, 08:17:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
(THIS IS ASSUMING DALLAS KEEPS LOSING AND THEY ULTIMATELY DECIDE TO REBUILD)

No, Andrew Bogut won't help us win a championship this year, BUT he does fill a dire need for this team in the rebounding department. Unless a Cousins deal materializes or another all-star player is on the trade market (seems unlikely), getting a rental big seems like the only other trade option to improve the C's at least for this season. Three big reasons the C's should target him:

1. While Bogut is pretty limited in the scoring department, he is averaging around 10-12 rebounds a game this season in about 24 minutes per game. Pair him with Horford and our front court looks extremely solid going into the second half of the season (because a hypothetical trade for Bogut probably wouldn't even happen until January at the earliest). His rebounding alone makes him an improvement over Zeller.

2. He wouldn't affect our cap space after this season, since he is a rental. This is vital as the Celtics could still pursue a max-FA this off season (if there is one they can get) without having to worry much about Bogut's contract (since it's off the books by then).

3. Progression... Progression... Progression... If the C's want to really improve and win more than 48 games this season, they need another big who can rebound, and grab offensive rebounds as well to create more second chance points. Also, it's sad seeing the C's play good defense in possessions LATE in games.. only to see the opposition grab an "easy" offensive rebound for an offensive score. Bogut temporarily solves that problem. Adding Bogut allows the rest of the players on this team "to concentrate on doing their own thing", and we saw how the Warriors were in last season's Finals when Bogut was injured for the rest of the series. Ultimately cost them the series. To win more games and even playoff series, you need that guy who can get rebounds late in games, and that's a huge weakness for Boston right now, even with Horford (he can't do it alone).

So yeah, Bogut would help this team this season, and more improvements and progression by the C's this season could make Boston a much more desirable destination in FA next summer to any free agent (if that's a factor).

Main obstacles I see are: Dallas and Cuban decide to keep Bogut regardless in an effort to make a run and clinch a playoff spot, AND Ainge may want to keep Zeller regardless in case any deals emerge on draft day for an "all-star caliber player", and Zeller's contract may be needed to help facilitate the deal.

But if a deal were to be made, what would you think of: Demetrius Jackson, Tyler Zeller and 2017 Minnesota 2nd rounder and 2017 Cavaliers 2nd rounder for Bogut?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: It's Time To Think Hard About Trading For Andrew Bogut
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 08:30:26 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
I would do the trade if Amir Johnson was involved.  Potentially a sideways move for Dallas (and us?), but we could hand them a 2nd round pick or two.

Amir has not looked good so far to me at least, and though Bogut would come with some durability concerns he could at least give us what Amir does plus the extra rebounding.

I know we give Zeller a lot of flack, and often times it is deserved, but he has a good skill set for a rotation big and can even be a mismatch in some games.  I like Zeller a lot in his current role, and wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot next to Al.  Amir, as you can probably tell, is not someone I am too attached to.  His contract would match Bogut's and we could give them a pick or two to give them another couple swings of the bat come draft time.

Overall though I think Bogut is a realistic target to fill our current need and would not set us back much in the long term.  TP for the thread!

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 09:20:15 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I'm so down. He could be a great piece for us.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 10:06:22 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I would do the trade if Amir Johnson was involved.  Potentially a sideways move for Dallas (and us?), but we could hand them a 2nd round pick or two.

Amir has not looked good so far to me at least, and though Bogut would come with some durability concerns he could at least give us what Amir does plus the extra rebounding.

I know we give Zeller a lot of flack, and often times it is deserved, but he has a good skill set for a rotation big and can even be a mismatch in some games.  I like Zeller a lot in his current role, and wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot next to Al.  Amir, as you can probably tell, is not someone I am too attached to.  His contract would match Bogut's and we could give them a pick or two to give them another couple swings of the bat come draft time.

Overall though I think Bogut is a realistic target to fill our current need and would not set us back much in the long term.  TP for the thread!

Thanks, and yeah I think it would be either Zeller or Amir for salary filler in a deal for Bogut.

I think Amir likely because Ainge wants to keep Zeller's non-guaranteed contract (8M) in a potential "blockbuster" on draft night in case someone becomes available and Zeller's contract is needed as some form of salary filler to facilitate the deal. Amir and Jerebko are likely gone after this season.

Also today the Mavericks got blown out against the Cavaliers (now 2-13). Bogut had 11 rebounds.

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 10:08:12 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm so down. He could be a great piece for us.

Yep, and could be had for cheap. Plus had 11 rebounds in 20 minutes while the Mavs were blown out.

Again, offensive skills limited but no doubt we NEED his rebounding skill set.

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 11:58:13 PM »

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_91Y0LVXRBo

Honestly, he might clog the lane a bit but he brings A LOT more than Amir does

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 12:12:22 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_91Y0LVXRBo

Honestly, he might clog the lane a bit but he brings A LOT more than Amir does

Great vid. TP.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 12:17:04 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Absolutely. He's exactly what we need, would fit perfectly, and is an expiring deal. It makes too much sense.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 12:23:27 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Absolutely. He's exactly what we need, would fit perfectly, and is an expiring deal. It makes too much sense.

Still would rather have Noel, and Boogie even moreso, but would gladly take Bogut if it only cost us something like Zeller and some seconds or a later first.

And, who knows, he might be someone worth resigning on a modest contract if we strike out on other free agent bigs (Griffin, Milsap, Ibaka, etc.) and/or trades.

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 12:25:05 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd be a bit concerned about what happens to the offense with such a zero threat out there.  This team can't afford to play 4 on 5 offensively.  But yeah, trying to get Bogut makes sense.  We need rebounding and beef inside.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 12:26:26 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Still would rather have Noel, and Boogie even moreso, but would gladly take Bogut if it only cost us something like Zeller and some seconds or a later first.

And, who knows, he might be someone worth resigning on a modest contract if we strike out on other free agent bigs (Griffin, Milsap, Ibaka, etc.) and/or trades.

I'd obviously rather have Boogie, but Noel vs. Bogut is close for me. I think Bogut is a better fit and better now, and Nerlens' health is being seriously overlooked by most. The long-term commitment we'd likely be making to Nerlens would also be a bit scary.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 12:27:32 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
I'd be a bit concerned about what happens to the offense with such a zero threat out there.  This team can't afford to play 4 on 5 offensively.  But yeah, trying to get Bogut makes sense.  We need rebounding and beef inside.

He can do basically as much as Amir. He's an excellent passer, too. He could help the second unit a lot with its ball movement.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 01:59:14 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Bogut is the #1 rated Center in the NBA thus far in DRPM and Amir is 26th among PF's in DRPM thus far this year.

HUGE difference!!!

https://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/9

https://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/6

Smitty77

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 02:26:29 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

He can do basically as much as Amir. He's an excellent passer, too. He could help the second unit a lot with its ball movement.
HIs passing and screen setting is terrific. Id say both are better than Amir. You lose a tiny tiny bit of outside shooting and as bad as Amir is scoring inside, he might be better than Bogut.

Id love to get Bogut, but Im not willing to give up much for a rental in a non-contention year.

Obviously no Brown or Brooklyn 17 but Id be cautious to give up Rozier or even Olynyk. Olynyk is more valuable than we think. Id give up Boston '18 + Amir.

Ive got no idea what hed cost tho.

The Mavs basically got him for free but GS had 0 leverage. Not the case here.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 04:24:23 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=87653.0

Said the same thing a week ago. He'd be great for this team. It wouldn't happen til the Mavs know they are out of the playoff hunt and we'd need to include 2 or 3 less significant young pieces