Author Topic: Blakely: look for KO as a possible trade possibility as the season progresses  (Read 4907 times)

Re: Blakely: look for KO as a possible trade possibility as the season progresses
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2016, 12:35:06 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I leaning heavily on KO being traded. But now after this Blakely report KO probably gets resigned at 3 years $8 million per.

If all KO gets is $8M/yr over three years, then sign me up! Ryan Anderson just signed for $20M/yr and he doesn't have KO's playmaking ability (but I agree that his offensive production has been more consistent.

It's all kind-of irrelevant how much KO gets next summer, though. If we keep him, we can sign him to as much as we want to and his cap hold will only be his QO. The real decision may come down to if we are going to pay AB or trade him next off-season. My guess is that he will be gone if we sign Hayward (since we will also need to open up some cap space with KO's QO on the table).
Yeah 8 is lowerest he gets is all. Based on how he plays probably best system for him is here and so is signing a short extension.

Re: Blakely: look for KO as a possible trade possibility as the season progresses
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2016, 12:39:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd be surprised if the Celts trade KO, just because I think his value to them as a shooter who can adequately defend both big positions is enough that he probably isn't worth trading unless it's a lottery pick or a two-way starter coming back the other way. 

It's hard to see another team giving up that kind of value, unless there are other assets involved.

Well, I guess it depends upon what you think his ceiling is. If you think he's pretty much who he is, then I think the much cheaper JJ can provide pretty much the same amount of shooting from the big position as KO, with much more defensive versatility. JJ doesn't provide the playmaking and passing that KO does, but that's not needed nearly as much with Horford there, who is one of the best playmakers from the big position.

Further, keeping JJ next year will come at a price around Crowder's salary or a bit more; whereas, it wouldn't surprise me to see KO get more than Turner this summer.

Would you trade him straight up for Noel, or even adding a later first round pick (like Boston's 2018 pick)? Though I'm still not convinced that Philly would even want a big back in return, even with KO's offensive versatility. Perhaps if it was expanded a bit to be KO and Rozier for something like Noel and Covington, that would make more sense.

I'm not sure I'd prefer to pay Noel what he's going to get than pay KO what he's going to get.

I don't think Kelly is going to get quite as much as you suggest he could.  He's a role player who most teams probably regard as a pure center who probably needs a very good perimeter defense in front of him to not be a liability defensively.  He's also fairly inconsistent and has had a significant number of injuries, though no major ones.

Kelly, to me, is a significantly better player than Jonas.  At times Jonas has looked really good playing with the starters, but that Jonas comes and goes.  For the most part, I think Jonas is a third string caliber player who can do a good job filling in above that when necessary.  Kelly is a valuable utility big who can give you solid 24 minutes a night or so and really juice your offense when he's in at center and he's confident in taking his shot.

Noel, I'd bet, will get a max offer from somebody, even though he has had a major knee injury in the past and is still very raw on offense. 

My guess is that Kelly gets a deal somewhere between what Jon Leuer got (4 yrs / $42 million) and what Ryan Anderson got (4 yrs / $80 million), and I'd lean toward the Leuer deal on that spectrum.

The Celts might hold off on re-signing Kelly at first next summer while they chase after max free agents.  I'm not expecting them to sign another max guy, though, and I think they'll ultimately re-sign him unless he's been traded in a larger package for a big name.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 01:11:46 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
The thing about Noel for KO is that you definitely aren't signing a top level FA this summer. Not unless you are trading away another core piece to make the room. And with what Noel will sign for there won't be room in 2018 either.

That may be fine for some people, personally I think we need a piece bigger than Noel to become a serious contender and I think we can get that piece either in trade or FA

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 01:35:15 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 02:14:51 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I leaning heavily on KO being traded. But now after this Blakely report KO probably gets resigned at 3 years $8 million per.

Yes, a Blakely report is strangely reassuring as to the opposite outcome coming to pass, isn't it?

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 02:31:05 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I'd be surprised if the Celts trade KO, just because I think his value to them as a shooter who can adequately defend both big positions is enough that he probably isn't worth trading unless it's a lottery pick or a two-way starter coming back the other way. 

It's hard to see another team giving up that kind of value, unless there are other assets involved.

I think it would be hard trading only KO for a 2 way starter only because it would be difficult matching salaries with him only making 3 mil.  He would have to be part of a bigger package, or for a lottery pick.

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 02:43:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Blakey is amazing

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 03:29:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
We have a thread for KO's contract:
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=86786.0

We can't really separate a discussion of the likelihood that KO will get traded from a discussion of what KO might get in free agency next summer.  Relatively interwoven topics.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2016, 07:52:28 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
(/quote) It's all kind-of irrelevant how much KO gets next summer, though. If we keep him, we can sign him to as much as we want to and his cap hold will only be his QO.
[/quote]

KO is making $3,094,014 this year.  C's must make a qualifying offer of $4,279,020 after the last day of playoffs next June but no later than June 30, 2017 to maintain his restricted FA status and their right to match offers.  If they fail to make a QO, Kelly immediately becomes an UFA.  But don't confuse the QO amount with the actual cap hold sitting on the books until his contract status is resolved.  The cap hold for him next July will be $7,735,035 (250% of his salary this year - RFA Full Bird rights).  This cap hold amount is still lower than the amount he will actually sign for, so you are right, the C''s will do most/all of their July deals first and then come back later in the summer to sign Kelly (assuming he stays with the C's)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 08:35:39 PM by otherdave »

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2016, 08:37:52 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Blakely is no better than Yibada. He might actually be worse, considering that he's a "real" reporter. He misleads, deceives, and outright lies.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2016, 08:38:00 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Blakey is amazing

The guy is at the top of his game right now. Reminds me of Jordan after the first three Pete.

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2016, 08:58:55 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/09/atlantic-notes-celtics-sixers-nets.html

Nothing really groundbreaking or imminent here, but Blakely is basically reporting that KO could be a trade possibility this year due to his lack of consistency in Boston. It's probably mostly speculation, but I figured I'd post it anyways.

Blakely is really going out on a ledge here, isn't he?  Aren't all players of all sports "trade possibilities" at all times - especially if Mister Danny is involved?  Thanks for reporting this breaking news.

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2016, 09:30:23 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I can't believe they still put a microphone in front of Blakely!  ::)

Almost anyone on the team could be traded. As for KO he seems like a solid piece of the team that would be resigned on a fair deal maybe 4 year $44m? If his agent has ideas of getting crazy money it wont be here, Danny doesn't hamstring himself with bad deals.

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2016, 12:05:07 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Breaking: Blakeley could possibly, potentially, hopefully, maybe, could get fired this year, my sauces tell me.