Author Topic: Kelly Olynyk contract watch  (Read 7593 times)

Kelly Olynyk contract watch
« on: August 04, 2016, 07:49:22 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/08/boston_celtics_kelly_olynyk_no_1.html#incart_river_index

What will Danny do?  There's a chance he gets traded.

I'm betting he doesn't extend him and he plays out the 4th year with the team.  In that case, I think he becomes a RFA next summer.

Re: Kelly Olynyk contract watch
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 08:09:27 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
If he wants much money he'd better take a lesson from Sully.  This is a make or break yr.  There will not be an extension until next summer where maybe Danny matches.  Maybe.  Most likely?  Trade.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 08:11:20 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
He's going to want somewhere around $20M being an offensively versatile big who can shoot in another rising cap.

I'm not sure that I'm ready to pay him that.

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 08:13:00 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Unless a trade is made for a star before the end of October, Olynyk will not be extended, and will instead see restricted free agency.  As discussed in the Hayward thread, it's not too hard for the Celtics to have room for a max player next summer, but extending Olynyk early would reduce that ability substantially.  Unless he agrees to a really sweet deal for the Celtics (starting at no more than $10 million next year, as a truly upper limit), he can't be extended.  Given the contracts handed out this summer, he should not sign for such an amount.

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 08:26:20 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
They have Olynyk's cap hold wrong it will be around 7.7 mill..  Financially it makes no sense to extend him unless it is very close to that cap hold number which just isn't going to happen.  The C's should be preserving every bit of space they can for next years free agency and every dollar spent above that cap hold is max cap space lost.  If I were Olynyk's agent I would be very suspicious of any talks the C's want to have in regard to extension because it doesn't make any sense unless they are getting him under contract at a rate that is far below his market value would be as a RFA next summer.  Nor do I think he will be traded because it is very difficult to replace his skill set and the C's can go above the cap to retain him next year after they fill the available cap space.

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 08:31:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
They have Olynyk's cap hold wrong it will be around 7.7 mill..  Financially it makes no sense to extend him unless it is very close to that cap hold number which just isn't going to happen.  The C's should be preserving every bit of space they can for next years free agency and every dollar spent above that cap hold is max cap space lost.  If I were Olynyk's agent I would be very suspicious of any talks the C's want to have in regard to extension because it doesn't make any sense unless they are getting him under contract at a rate that is far below his market value would be as a RFA next summer.  Nor do I think he will be traded because it is very difficult to replace his skill set and the C's can go above the cap to retain him next year after they fill the available cap space.

I didn't read the article, but they do.  It's correct in our discussion regarding Hayward, however.

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 08:57:05 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
He's going to want somewhere around $20M being an offensively versatile big who can shoot in another rising cap.

I'm not sure that I'm ready to pay him that.

No @&$? Sherlock.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 10:05:45 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
Safe to say you're going to get bored to hell with all the watching you'll have to do this season waiting for this...

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 07:35:48 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
He's been my biggest frustration with Stevens, playing silly ahead of him. I really wanted to force this guy minutes and run more offense out of him from the high post to up this guys value. I know we can't pay this guy 20 mil . Hopefully we give kelly( opinion) ton of minutes and showcase him in order to get something back in trade if possible. Hate losing this kid. A lot his fault but still think he has loads of potential. But I respect this is an unpopular opinion and I've been wrong many times before.

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 09:36:47 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Playing Sully really paid off. Ugh

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 10:39:31 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
He's been my biggest frustration with Stevens, playing silly ahead of him. I really wanted to force this guy minutes and run more offense out of him from the high post to up this guys value. I know we can't pay this guy 20 mil . Hopefully we give kelly( opinion) ton of minutes and showcase him in order to get something back in trade if possible. Hate losing this kid. A lot his fault but still think he has loads of potential. But I respect this is an unpopular opinion and I've been wrong many times before.
Pretty much my feelings too.  It would be a shame to let KO walk without anything in return, especially after Sully was let go too.  However, it seems like it may be the best thing for this team by the time next summer rolls around.

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 11:04:30 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
Meh, KO doesn't have anyone to blame, but himself. From the get-go  Stevens has given him a lot of opportunities, and he's squandered them all pretty much. Everytime Stevens put faith in him, KO became his old inconsistent self. And very hesitant in his play.

Doesn't help that the dude can't stay healthy.

I know people like KO, but look at the amount of games he's played each season. It's been alarming.

The idea that Stevens has held KO back, is laughable. It's been quite evident that KO has been Stevens' binky all this time. It should tell you something that at times he struggled to find more playing time, despite Stevens gifting him a role from the get-go.

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 11:06:41 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
One thing no one has brought up is that he has to prove he can stay on the court. Year one aside, he has been injured a bit more than I like. I would really like to see him play some serious (25 mpg) minutes and show us why we should pay him let alone keep him.

I need consistent productivity from him, not flashes of potential. 12/6/3 would do to start.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 11:21:43 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
i would love to have him, but yeah, some stuff is really alarming, mostly for me is the fact that he needs 10 games to get back into a rhythm after a minor injury.
make or break until the all star deadline
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 01:08:11 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'd like to see Kelly be more consistent in his play. He has one good game, where he looks to have turned the corner, and then has 2 or 3 games where he can't find his game. He has a unique skill set for a guy 7 ft. and at times is exciting to watch. He's a good kid, and a good teammate.

He gets injured too often, and takes forever to return to action. I don't know if it's from a conditioning issue, or if his body will always be a problem for him.

This is the year for him to step up, and stay up. If he has a another up and down year, let him go like Sully.