Author Topic: anybody else glad we have jaylen over simmons  (Read 28198 times)

Re: anybody else glad we have jaylen over simmons
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2016, 01:44:56 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
People always like to knock our draft picks. Rozier last year sucked according to a lot of you.  Bradley as well.  I don't think it's setting people up for disapointment either. It's about saying what a player actually is.

Simmons and Ingram aren't all that.  They are flawed stars themselves who think they are stars before they've even earned that moniker. This was a strong draft but there was no Kevin Durant in this draft.

Brown is nice.  I'm happy with it. He fits what we needed out of this draft.

I'll take the solid player any day.  People wanted us to trade the farm for Wiggins, Parker or Embiid. I was happy with Smart for the same reasons.

It's about getting the right players.  A lot of fans do not understand this.  They don't understand how to draft.  It's a lack of whatever it is. I have that feel for certain players.  Most fans don't.  They think you just take this guy or that guy because he's supposedly good.

I feel like you're addressing my post without actually addressing me. I'm not knocking our picks, I think Jaylen is a solid prospect. Personally, I would've preferred Dunn at #3 or either we could have traded down a few spots to get Brown if he was really the guy we locked in on. And for what it's worth - I thought Bradley was good value at #19 and took no stance on Rozier one way or the other.

If you think you have the key to drafting guys, that's your prerogative. Smart was a solid pick at #6 and he brings a great attitude, but it hasn't necessarily translated on the court in a way many people around here thought it would. Many will point to his injuries, but there were a lot of questions about his inefficiency on the offensive end being a problem at this level coming into the draft. That's the risk you run drafting for fit with such high draft picks - you can get a really good, level-headed guy but his talent level may not be where you need it to be to push your franchise forward.

At the end of the day, talent is what dominates this league. The don't hand out championships for high character.

I agree it's about talent but it's as much about getting talent that can play together to maximize it.   If we are drafting a superstar it should be the right one.   If some superstars are so talented some of them never win because teams aren't able to maximize the talent around them. It's about getting the right star players too. You have to pay these guys, they have to compliment each other.   We can make trades randomly for stars around the league because this guy is talented or that guy but I really don't think that's how it works.  Red himself used to say you need talent but it's more than that.

We have a fast athletic roster and guys who can score in a variety of ways and compliment each other. I'll take a wave of talent like that over one ballhogging star.

San Antonio beat Lebron that way.  Dallas beat Miami when on paper it wasn't even close.

There's more that goes into it is all.  I remember watching Marcus in college and loved his defense.  Loved the way Brown attacks the rim.  It's not as simple as saying we just take a shooter either.  A lot of fans wanted Hield because supposedly we needed shooting. 

I think we have an attacking team that can cause teams a lot of different issues.  We also have players who can shoot.  We have players who defend.  As a whole we have talent. 

We have talented players that are interchangeable and do different things.   They also fit long term financially and are team oriented players and leaders and smart players.

I'd rather a talented team over the wrong star player.

Are you talking about the first time SA beat Lebron or the second? It's worth mentioning that first time the Cavs had no business being in the Finals, but Lebron - to some, the wrong type of star - carried them there. The second time with the Heatles, SA still had a once-in-a-generation talent in Tim Duncan, the MVP of the Finals in Kawhi Leonard, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. The Dallas team that won featured Dirk Nowitski playing at a supernova level (he shot like 46% from the 3 in those playoffs), and still in their primes Jason Terry and Tyson Chandler. Those teams benefited from great culture, coaching, and cohesiveness for sure. But they also had a high level of talent and stars to carry the load when needed.

San Antonio and Dallas are different teams than us how they did it. San Antonio are a tough veteran team that plays  a certain style.  It's Popovich and the combination of Duncan and those guys and just the style they play and players they have.  Dallas did it different as well to beat Miami when they basically did it around Dirk.  We are a different team.  I think Brown was a good pick because he attacks though and gives us another weapon to go with Isaiah, Horford, Smart, AB, Crowder etc.  I wasn't big on taking Hield either, although I liked him as a player, because we have Bradley and Hield needs to go somewhere where he can shoot a lot as a young player.   I don't think we needed that.   I think Brown as an attacker is good.  Crowder doesn't really do that or break down a defense that much.  We really lacked anyone last year besides Isaiah and Turner who could do that.  Rozier, Smart and Brown is an improvement imo over Turner plus Horford. We added Green as an extra shooter.  Hield is not a guy who can break down a defense like Curry. 

The point I'm trying to make though is it's about talent as well as cohesion and culture and how guys fit and coaching.

Simmons and Ingram are physical speciments and talented players but they aren't Tim Duncan or Dirk or Lebron.  Brown is a physical specimen too and talented and fits better. There isn't a huge difference in talent level.  I think fit was more prudent here.  It's about taking the right guy.  All these guys are young.  Brown was the right guy.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:27:07 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2016, 01:45:01 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
In a word: No.
why not add to the conversation instead of a quip that has no reasoning, support, or insights?

Why should one do that?  "In a word:no" sums it all up nicely.  It's a polite way of answering a silly question and post.
I'm with hwangjini on this.  First of all, "No", especially by itself, is never a polite answer.  It stops the conversation without any justification.  Secondly, it is very debatable as to whether this is a silly question as you can see from 3 pages of posts so far, some of which are rather detailed. Anyone who thinks this is a silly question is free to ignore it and move on to other threads.  Finally, the whole point of a message board is to talk, not give one-word replies.

First, "No" is often a very polite answer, particularly in comparison to what might otherwise have been said.
Second, there is no reasonable debate as to the silliness of the question.  The question is ludicrous on its face.
Third, the point of a message board may be to talk, but it's not to make crazy comments, in the form of a faux question, that you would never have made if a player didn't happen to be on your team.  This is a thread that should never have been started, led off with a post that does nothing to promote a reasonable discussion.

no.

Yes  ;)

I disagree, no by itself does seem rude in a way because it offers no explanation. While you may think it's  a silly question, I don't think so. Again Simmons is no LeBron and I agree that given that we have the #1 pick, we would also pick Simmons. But say if we got the #2 pick, personally I would still pick Brown over Ingram. I do think Simmons will be a very special player and as of now probably still the clear cut number 1 pick and better prospect than Brown

with that said I like this discussion because for the people who actually took time to explain whether or not they are pro and against Brown, I appreciate all their explanations.

Brown is an great prospect in my honest opinion because of his explosiveness, and his desire to win and learn. He has the tools to succeed and definitely in the right situation. From the get-go I would say Simmons would have the better opportunity to succeed because of his situation. The 76ers sucks and will need his contribution right away and he probably has a better margin of error and tolerance of error compare to Brown. Given situation, Simmons starts right away vs Brown will start behind Crowder most likely with limited minutes. Year 1 I can say comfortably, Simmons will perform well and challenge for ROY whereas Brown not so much. But say year 2 year 3 down the line NOBODY can say who will definitely be better, not one poster. Simmons could've have the injury bug that opens the door for Ingram and Brown or Dunn to be the best player of this draft. Brown could very well be a bust,. but I personally loved the pick and rooting for him to succeed.

I am not comparing this to the 2012 draft but Lilard went #6, and in a redraft, I am pretty sure he be the #2 pick, if somebody says they will take him at #1, I will believe it.

I am sure the poster has his reasons and I think it's fair to give people creidt and not name-calling if they were using drafts like 2012 or 2008 to prove a point, like Oden going #1, Durant #2. Lillard again. 2003, forget LeBron at #1, and let's compare Darko with Wade, Melo, Bosh etc etc. Hell 2005, Chris Paul at #4, he would've gone #1 and I don't think many people will argue with that?

We won't know who will be the best player until probably either the end of this season or maybe even in year 3 or beyond. I think people declaring Simmons superstar and not a chance in hell Brown will end up being the better player is silly.

Both players hasn't proven anything yet, let's give it some time, I think as of right now Simmons is the better "prospect", but I am still on the Brown train.

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2016, 01:47:01 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
avoids contact,poor defense,doesn't contest jumpers,doesn't stretch floor-too concerned with ego passes-rebounding in traffic----

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2016, 01:48:14 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Some of you guys take online prospect ratings waaaayy to seriously. It's obvious NBA GMs don't care about those ratings either way, and several have openly said so and laugh at those draft projections. Some of this outrage towards anyone who expresses an opinion that Simmons may not be as good as another lottery pick in his draft is going to look pretty stupid in a few years. Bottom line is Simmons is no Lebron and Ingram is no Durant. These guys all have some serious flaws and limitations.

This is such a flawed post.

"Some of you guys take online prospect ratings waaaayy to seriously. It's obvious NBA GMs don't care about those ratings either way, and several have openly said so and laugh at those draft projections."

There is less then 0% merit to this in this case. In general it may be correct but in this case Simmons was the clear cut #1 prospect. Angie would have taken him 1. I'm not saying its guaranteed Simmons is going to be a star or even better then Brown. But too raise the point now (before either plays in a game) makes no sense and is only done because Brown is on the Cs. I didn't see anyone saying i hope Simmons and Ingram go 1-2 so we get the best player Brown pre draft.

This is a discussion forum. Discussing people's thoughts and opinions regarding a celtics draft pick vs another lottery pick is a valid discussion. It is far from flawed or absurd.

Again, Simmons is no Lebron, no Tim Duncan, no Anthony Davis. Ingram even less so. Ingram looks awful so far. I'm not saying Simmons sucks or that Brown will be better, just that the Simmons hype is totally overblown and the comparison to Brown is fair.

Replies of "No" or "no Simmons is better because 'experts' told us so' don't add anything to the discussion.

First of all it is flawed because your point was on how talent evaluates are laughed by GM's but that has no merit in this case because there was no debate from anyone about Simmons being a better prospect then Brown.

I dont need anyone too tell me that Simmons is better. I have watched basketball before. By no means does that mean i dislike Brown. But its not close, maybe one day it will be (I certainly hope it is) but before they play a game it makes no sense.

The OP gave no reasons other then the fact he like the Work Ethic of Brown better which i think is very reasonable. But unfortunately work ethic only gets you so far and superior talent wins that battle every time.

Your right is a "This is a discussion forum. Discussing people's thoughts and opinions" but it limits intelligent conversation when if you go into with green tinted glasses on and cant be objective. I would be shocked if any other non Celtics forum in the world would be having this discussion.

If you don't like the discussion then why participate? Just let it go and move on to topics that fit your interests.

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2016, 01:49:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
This is challenging for the most ridiculous topic ever posted on Celticsblog.
Is that reply necessary? The guy loves his Celtics and likes some of the things Brown seems to bring early over Simmons. Let a guy root for his team.

Its somewhat necessary imo. Simmons was clear cut above Brown according to any scout. So ya too say that you would rather have Brown is pretty ludicrous. A year from now lets have that discussion but to have it now (before either has played an NBA game) is absurd. If the inverse occurred and we got Simmons no one would be raising the question about rather having Brown then Simmons.
Somewhat, equates to No its not. And if you read the post and what the OP is trying to say what he likes about Brown over Simmons that is a basis for him liking Brown. Having set valid reasoning to his decision  means its not ludicrous just his opinion. There was no need for that reply nor to an over reaction towards his post that some gave.

« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2016, 01:52:46 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Is that reply necessary? The guy loves his Celtics and likes some of the things Brown seems to bring early over Simmons. Let a guy root for his team.

Its somewhat necessary imo. Simmons was clear cut above Brown according to any scout. So ya too say that you would rather have Brown is pretty ludicrous. A year from now lets have that discussion but to have it now (before either has played an NBA game) is absurd. If the inverse occurred and we got Simmons no one would be raising the question about rather having Brown then Simmons.
Somewhat, equates to No its not. And if you read the post and what the OP is trying to say what he likes about Brown over Simmons that is a basis for him liking Brown. Having set valid reasoning to his decision  means its not ludicrous just his opinion. There was no need for that reply nor to an over reaction towards his post that some gave.

Agreed. There are endless examples of very good NBA prospects with great work ethics having better careers, and in some cases FAR better careers, than the top rated blue chip prospects with poor work ethics and/or ego problems. This has happened for decades yet people are still adamant that its absurd to think so. Do we really have to go through the long list of top 3 players in each draft that were busts?

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2016, 01:53:00 PM »

Offline ABOS (A bit of Sanity)

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
Some of you guys take online prospect ratings waaaayy to seriously. It's obvious NBA GMs don't care about those ratings either way, and several have openly said so and laugh at those draft projections. Some of this outrage towards anyone who expresses an opinion that Simmons may not be as good as another lottery pick in his draft is going to look pretty stupid in a few years. Bottom line is Simmons is no Lebron and Ingram is no Durant. These guys all have some serious flaws and limitations.

"Some of you guys take online prospect ratings waaaayy to seriously. It's obvious NBA GMs don't care about those ratings either way, and several have openly said so and laugh at those draft projections."

There is less then 0% merit to this in this case. In general it may be correct but in this case Simmons was the clear cut #1 prospect. Angie would have taken him 1. I'm not saying its guaranteed Simmons is going to be a star or even better then Brown. But too raise the point now (before either plays in a game) makes no sense and is only done because Brown is on the Cs. I didn't see anyone saying i hope Simmons and Ingram go 1-2 so we get the best player Brown pre draft.

This is a discussion forum. Discussing people's thoughts and opinions regarding a celtics draft pick vs another lottery pick is a valid discussion. It is far from flawed or absurd.

Again, Simmons is no Lebron, no Tim Duncan, no Anthony Davis. Ingram even less so. Ingram looks awful so far. I'm not saying Simmons sucks or that Brown will be better, just that the Simmons hype is totally overblown and the comparison to Brown is fair.

Replies of "No" or "no Simmons is better because 'experts' told us so' don't add anything to the discussion.

First of all it is flawed because your point was on how talent evaluates are laughed by GM's but that has no merit in this case because there was no debate from anyone about Simmons being a better prospect then Brown.

I dont need anyone too tell me that Simmons is better. I have watched basketball before. By no means does that mean i dislike Brown. But its not close, maybe one day it will be (I certainly hope it is) but before they play a game it makes no sense.

The OP gave no reasons other then the fact he like the Work Ethic of Brown better which i think is very reasonable. But unfortunately work ethic only gets you so far and superior talent wins that battle every time.

Your right is a "This is a discussion forum. Discussing people's thoughts and opinions" but it limits intelligent conversation when if you go into with green tinted glasses on and cant be objective. I would be shocked if any other non Celtics forum in the world would be having this discussion.

If you don't like the discussion then why participate? Just let it go and move on to topics that fit your interests.

I probably should have just skipped over it. But i like to state opinion when i disagree with something so adamantly.

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2016, 02:02:31 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Simmons demands the ball too much and can't shoot.  He's also not a physical defender. With Isaiah here it would have been a weird fit.

Bender I liked because he is a system player, plays off the ball and can do a lot of things and plays defense but with KO here and Jerebko and him being so young Brown made sense. Doesn't attack the basket like Brown, but good player I feel.  More like KO with better D and all around offense though.  KO is a good shooter.  I like Bender better than KO honestly but we got KO with what the 11th pick.  Bender is somewhere between KO and Porzingis.

I was not a  fan of Murray.  We have Smart and AB.  Murray is also a ballhog and more concerned with offense, and doesn't play the defense those guys do.  He's also a pretty average all around offensive player.  Good shooter, driver, passer. Doesn't do anything that exceptional and hogs the ball.  Isaiah Thomas is way better.  Murray is also a tweener guard. He would not have fit here at all with Isaiah.

Brown is a legit, physical sf who  attacks the basket and who's all around game is coming.  It made sense to me. Our SF's do not do that and without Turner we really had no one who did besides Isaiah last year. Crowder isn't that.  Brown is a much more complete player than Turner ultimately. We have Smart and Rozier who can also supplant any distribution loss with Turner to go with Brown just making smart passes and sharing the ball. 3 guys is better than one that way.  Distributers are somewhat overrated that way.

Ingram is a scorer but he's not on the level of Durant and he doesn't attack, nor is he as physical as Brown.  Demands the ball more. Not a great distributer.  Brown does more damage off the ball and attacking the basket.

Hield shoots a lot.  Not a guy who is going to break down a defense like Curry. He is primarily a shooting guard.  Doesn't play D like Bradley.  Has more range.  We didn't need a guy who is going to shoot a lot not in the flow of the offense.  Bradley is a shooter who does it within the offense and plays better D.

Kris Dunn.  Nice player.  We didn't need a pg.  Not a great shooter either, but good pg to build around.  We have 3 pgs in Isaiah, Smart and Rozier. He didn't fit here at all.  We could have traded him but for what?  Brown was the guy we needed.

Marquis Chriss hyped up physical prospect. Could be a good forward some day.  Way too young right now.  Even more raw than Brown by far and not nearly the intellect.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:21:55 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2016, 02:03:32 PM »

• Joe Mazzulla

Agreed. There are endless examples of very good NBA prospects with great work ethics having better careers, and in some cases FAR better careers, than the top rated blue chip prospects with poor work ethics and/or ego problems. This has happened for decades yet people are still adamant that its absurd to think so. Do we really have to go through the long list of top 3 players in each draft that were busts?

No because its irrelevant because neither has played a game yet. So we don't know if either of them who were both top 3 picks will be good or bad. But before Brown was on this team i didn't see anyone saying that hes better then Simmons. So why not wait till they actually play in the NBA before anointing them as good or bad or as Divas (Most Super Stars are Divas) or questioning there health or work ethic.

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2016, 02:20:25 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

No because its irrelevant because neither has played a game yet. So we don't know if either of them who were both top 3 picks will be good or bad. But before Brown was on this team i didn't see anyone saying that hes better then Simmons. So why not wait till they actually play in the NBA before anointing them as good or bad or as Divas (Most Super Stars are Divas) or questioning there health or work ethic.

That's really the crux of the matter. I can imagine us having similar threads for Dunn or Bender had Danny made a different decision.
And I don't think we would ever have a thread like this, have we got the #1 pick.

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2016, 02:35:56 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485

No, it's really not.

Brown IMO has a higher ceiling than Simmons, though there's a lesser chance he reaches that ceiling. The reason I think he has that ceiling is because his defense and mental attitude look more in line with the all-time great players who win multiple championships.

He obviously has a long way to go before the reaches that potential, though. His passing and jumper need significant improvement.

Simmons is a very different case. For his size, he is an elite ball handler and passer. And his athleticism is excellent. Just really talented, especially in transition.

But as a big man he is also lacking in a lot of key areas.

His defense is sub-par. Looks like Blake Griffin to me at that end, doesn't have toughness or feel for the game on D.

He also has a long way to go on his offense. His jumper is broken. He has little post game. No longer will he be able to overpower weak college players for put back and dunks.

There are also character concerns. He is arrogant, and is apparently difficult to coach. Add that to his lackadaisical effort on defense, and you have a recipe for trouble.

BTW I've been saying all this since before the draft, I've watched plenty of tape, the kid has huge holes in his game that might keep him from reaching greatness. Maybe he'll reach it, but I think his mental makeup will hold him back.

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2016, 02:41:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2016, 02:44:43 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Of course there is some relevance. They have played plenty of games (though not NBA) and had plenty of interviews to have some of opinion going into the pre season. Or else how else would you put Simmons ahead of Brown. It's all opinion. The OP asked if there are others out there like him that are liking Brown over Simmons right now. Not a big deal to get those reactions.

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2016, 02:51:59 PM »

• Joe Mazzulla

Of course there is some relevance. They have played plenty of games (though not NBA) and had plenty of interviews to have some of opinion going into the pre season. Or else how else would you put Simmons ahead of Brown. It's all opinion. The OP asked if there are others out there like him that are liking Brown over Simmons right now. Not a big deal to get those reactions.

I was going off the baseline that pre draft before Brown was a Celtic I didn't see nor hear anyone say that they would rather have Brown. The attributes and flaws haven't changed based on a few summer league games. So my point is until they actually play nba games there is no point to compare them to previous busts.

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2016, 03:02:04 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485

Agree totally. The whole point of these forums is to foster conversation and debate. If someone can be bothered enough to reply, it's not asking too much for them to back up their opinions with some sort of explanation.

It is impolite to make abrupt, snarky comments in live social or vocational situations. IMO it should be just as bad here, and is a testament to the faceless negativity the internet seems to inspire.