Author Topic: Bill Simmons and Zach Lowe on Sixers & Hinkie  (Read 1783 times)

Bill Simmons and Zach Lowe on Sixers & Hinkie
« on: April 09, 2016, 08:15:40 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
2 separate podcasts. Basically the same views on their players.

Simmons
After three years you look at that roster and they don't have one guaranteed blue chipper on it.

Nerlens Noel is he even a starter? He doesn't even know what he's doing. Could he be Bismack Biyombo in 5 years? Maybe.

Okafor, I like him. He's a low post guy. I'm not totally sure where he fits in in the current NBA. Basically he's Brook Lopez. You'd have to put the right kind of team around him.

The best asset they have is their draft pick this year. So the question is could anybody of just been "hey guys we're going to win 10 games a year for 3 years" and done a worse job than this?

If you're going to throw away 3 years you have to be in a better spot coming out of it.

Lowe
If Hinkie could point to one gay and say "we have this one guy that is performing above expectations for his draft". Then I think you're fine.

You have Noel at 6, which is ok. I think Noel is going to be an okay NBA player.

Okafor looks like an Al Jefferson dinosaur, who plays horrific defense, has horrible advanced stats, did bad stuff off the court, and missed the last 30 games of the season.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 09:06:41 AM by Eddie20 »

Re: Bill Simmons on Sixers & Hinkie
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 08:27:16 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
After three years you look at that roster and they don't have one guaranteed blue chipper on it.

Nerlens Noel is he even a starter? He doesn't even know what he's doing. Could he be Bismack Biyombo in 5 years? Maybe.

Okafor, I like him. He's a low post guy. I'm not totally sure where he fits in in the current NBA. Basically he's Brook Lopez. You'd have to put the right kind of team around him.

The best asset they have is their draft pick this year. So the question is could anybody of just been "hey guys were going to win 10 games a year for 3 years" and done a worse job that this?

If you're going to throw away 3 years you have to be in a better spot coming out of it.

I quite like Biyombo, and last year in reddit, I got in arguments with other C's fans to defend him.

Having said this, one can make the case that Noel is already better than Biyombo.

Look at the stats below

http://tinyurl.com/jr57s6y

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 08:35:09 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2978
Celtics don't mind 76ers picking high every year.  We ll take their ET s and make players out of them .   They are looking for the easy way out of building a sports club. 

It what you do with the picks AFTER the fact.    Called WORK......not destruction .

They are poorly run and coached organization.

Losing games is the easy part .  Building a team takes the REAL brains and patience . 

Simply waiting year after year for the next LeBron or Durrant to fall in your lap is just asinine

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 08:44:20 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

The best asset they have is their draft pick this year. So the question is could anybody of just been "hey guys were going to win 10 games a year for 3 years" and done a worse job that this?

I quite like Biyombo, and last year in reddit, I got in arguments with other C's fans to defend him.

Having said this, one can make the case that Noel is already better than Biyombo.

Look at the stats below

I hate basing a comparison on stats because one is on a losing team (getting more usage and playing time) and the other is on a winning team (backing up JV).

Offense
Offensively they're are both pretty bad. Both have rock hands and struggle mightily when not around the basket. Both have no perimeter game and are horrible FT shooters. Biyombo does know his limitations, while Noel tries to do things he's not capable of, which results in way too many turnovers. I'll give Noel the edge though because he's a better passer and Biyombo has worse hands than he does.

Rebounding

Biyombo is the better rebounder. Noel's slight frame doesn't do well battling in the trenches and as a result his overall rebounding, especially his ability to rebuild in traffic, suffers.

Defense
This is very close. Biyombo has the better block numbers, but Noel is better in defending the high pnr and in passing lanes. Biyombo is the better post defender, this is something that Noel is really weak in, again due to this frame. He gives up position easily and gets engulfed by size. Biyombo's strength is one of his "strengths".

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 09:19:52 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Look at the stats below

I hate basing a comparison on stats because one is on a losing team (getting more usage and playing time) and the other is on a winning team (backing up JV).

Offense
Offensively they're are both pretty bad. Both have rock hands and struggle mightily when not around the basket. Both have no perimeter game and are horrible FT shooters. Biyombo does know his limitations, while Noel tries to do things he's not capable of, which results in way too many turnovers. I'll give Noel the edge though because he's a better passer and Biyombo has worse hands than he does.

Rebounding

Biyombo is the better rebounder. Noel's slight frame doesn't do well battling in the trenches and as a result his overall rebounding, especially his ability to rebuild in traffic, suffers.

Defense
This is very close. Biyombo has the better block numbers, but Noel is better in defending the high pnr and in passing lanes. Biyombo is the better post defender, this is something that Noel is really weak in, again due to this frame. He gives up position easily and gets engulfed by size. Biyombo's strength is one of his "strengths".

the point wasnt to get in a detailed comparison of the two but to show that the claim that 'Noel might be Biyombo in 5 years' is far fetched.

Philly probably did not get the assets it was hoping for, but it did get some talented young bigs.