Author Topic: Celtics Playoff Seeding Thread  (Read 93447 times)

Re: Celtics Playoff Seeding Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 10:09:54 PM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
C'mon NOLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 12:52:45 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
OT for Heat at Lakers game.

This would be a huge loss for Miami in the home-court-advantage chase.

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 01:13:15 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Well, after five minutes of overtime with absolutely 0 defense played on either side, the Lakers beat the Heat at home. So as of March 31st, here are the current standings:

1) Cleveland 52-22
2) Toronto 50-24
3) Atlanta 45-31
4) Boston 43-31
5) Charlotte 43-31
6) Miami 43-31
7) Detroit 40-35
8 ) Indiana 39-35

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 01:36:08 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Well, after five minutes of overtime with absolutely 0 defense played on either side, the Lakers beat the Heat at home. So as of March 31st, here are the current standings:

1) Cleveland 52-22
2) Toronto 50-24
3) Atlanta 45-31
4) Boston 43-31
5) Charlotte 43-31
6) Miami 43-31
7) Detroit 40-35
8 ) Indiana 39-35
wow really no margin of error down the stretch. With GS coming up, Portland becomes almost a must-win.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 01:38:25 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Getting back the third spot will not be easy. In the case of a 4-way we won't have the advantage because it goes to the division winner. (The other teams play all in the same division, so by definition one will be the division winner.) And our programme is not easy (Portland, GSW).
Charlotte seems to have the best programme (Philly, Cleveland, Brooklyn, Orlando).

Having said this, we play Atlanta, Charlotte and Miami at the end, so in a way we hold our destiny in our hands.

Personally, I would rather have the 6th rather than the 4th or 5th spot, but from what I remember from last season, CBS is not into this kind of tricks.

PS: I am writing this on the 31th of March so several of games mentioned in the first post have already been played.

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 02:02:14 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Getting back the third spot will not be easy. In the case of a 4-way we won't have the advantage because it goes to the division winner. (The other teams play all in the same division, so by definition one will be the division winner.) And our programme is not easy (Portland, GSW).
Charlotte seems to have the best programme (Philly, Cleveland, Brooklyn, Orlando).

Having said this, we play Atlanta, Charlotte and Miami at the end, so in a way we hold our destiny in our hands.

Personally, I would rather have the 6th rather than the 4th or 5th spot, but from what I remember from last season, CBS is not into this kind of tricks.

PS: I am writing this on the 31th of March so several of games mentioned in the first post have already been played.

If the Hawks had the third spot, though, then sixth wouldn't be ideal, because they're not a very good matchup for us. I'm pretty confident in playing either Charlotte or Miami, because we matchup well with them and have swept both of them so far this year. Atlanta has a tough schedule the rest of the way, though, with two against Cleveland and one each against us, Toronto, Washington, and Phoenix. It's going to be a very, very fluid next couple of weeks, and I think it will go down until the very last day of the season before 3-6 is settled, which coincidentally is the day we play Miami in the last game of the regular season. There will be huge ramifications for that game in Boston.

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 02:20:45 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

If the Hawks had the third spot, though, then sixth wouldn't be ideal, because they're not a very good matchup for us. I'm pretty confident in playing either Charlotte or Miami, because we matchup well with them and have swept both of them so far this year. Atlanta has a tough schedule the rest of the way, though, with two against Cleveland and one each against us, Toronto, Washington, and Phoenix. It's going to be a very, very fluid next couple of weeks, and I think it will go down until the very last day of the season before 3-6 is settled, which coincidentally is the day we play Miami in the last game of the regular season. There will be huge ramifications for that game in Boston.
Its an interesting dilemma. If you are really optimistic then you are only worried about Cleveland and just want to avoid them till the ECF. Thus you probably want the 3 or 6 seed.

However, Atlanta and Toronto (and Indiana fwiw) have been really tough matchups for us so a more pessimistic viewer would want to secure an easy first round match up. this would mean pushing for the not hawks wherever that may be. Then accepting that round 2 is probably where you meet your demise.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 02:21:54 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

True, but Miami won't be ideal either IMO. The best one will be Charlotte, but again, I doubt CBS will go down the road of manipulating results to get us the 'best' opponent. Just imagine we lose a couple of games on purpose and then get disqualified in the first round...

IMO the most likely result is 4th seed. We are unlikely to catch up with Atlanta and even if we do, they are likely to be their division's winner.

On the other hand, unless CHA or MIA win the division we hold the tie breakers; much depends on winning these two games against them.

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 04:33:04 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
does the tech cousins got last night with 6 seconds left (resulting in his 16th of the year and missing 1 game..unfortunately his next game is tomorrow against Miami) get reviewed before the game is played or is there a chance he will play that one and then miss the following ?

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 04:47:28 PM »

Offline lefty12

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Will come down to last 3 games and hth -

Hopefully crowder back strong - otherwise celts not looking good for 3seed

I don't want Mia or Indy 1st round - unless home court

Might be ok with 6seed vs atl

Celts need to over-achieve either way to make 2nd round

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2016, 04:50:03 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
does the tech cousins got last night with 6 seconds left (resulting in his 16th of the year and missing 1 game..unfortunately his next game is tomorrow against Miami) get reviewed before the game is played or is there a chance he will play that one and then miss the following ?

It will be reviewed, but if it holds he misses the game against Miami.

It would be nice if the mods stickied an official seeding thread.

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 04:57:08 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I don't know if you guys saw this, but technically we still can't lock up a playoff spot tonight if we win and Chicago loses. There's a very rare possibility of the Pacers and the Bulls and us all tying and in that scenario we would lose out bc of tiebreakers.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 05:54:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

second that... i made one of these a few months back and asked it to be stickied and it never was. I eventually couldn't keep up with it and it became a big investment to dig it up when i was busy for a few days. Glad to see people finally caring about this.

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2016, 06:05:43 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

second that... i made one of these a few months back and asked it to be stickied and it never was. I eventually couldn't keep up with it and it became a big investment to dig it up when i was busy for a few days. Glad to see people finally caring about this.

Consider it stickied now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2016, 06:53:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Consider it stickied now.

Thank you. This is great. By the end of the night we could be alone in 4th and tied for 3rd if the Hawks lose against Cleveland tomorrow. We were discussing this in a separate thread but the Hawks have a brutal end of season schedule.