Author Topic: The Pacers have an absolute stud in Myles Turner. Steal of the draft.  (Read 3902 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Anyone been watching this guy?
He's got some very special basketball qualities. He's the 6th youngest player in the league and plays both ends equally well.

Myles Turner could be a franchise player one day. The Pacers are just amazing at finding these gems in the draft.

Good analysis video by bballbreakdown on MT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJFd3HN22SY
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: The Pacers have an absolute stud in Myles Turner. Steal of the draft.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 04:36:08 AM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Man has he improved his running and mobility.  I really like this kid.  Talk about intangibles.  He is extremely dedicated to his career as a basketball player and was willing to put in the work and it has payed off. The one quality i love about his as a player is his quick release.  It is amazing how quickly he can get his shot off.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 04:46:42 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
He's got some very special basketball qualities. He's the 6th youngest player in the league and plays both ends equally well.

Myles Turner could be a franchise player one day. The Pacers are just amazing at finding these gems in the draft.

Agree on Turner.

Altho it's extremely early, here are my thoughts on the draft.

The three bigs (Towns, Okafor, Porzingis) are all great, only time will tell who is the best.

Personal favourite is Okafor, he has guts and great offensive tools (his dribble is insane for his size) but Porzingis is fantastic on both ends. Towns I have watched more as a college player than as a pro, so I'll keep quiet on this front  :laugh:

D'Angelo Russell at 2 is too high, he might be a top 10 player but he is not top 5. With Jerry West gone LAL seems to be making less good decisions.

Hezonja (nr 5) I never liked but he seems to have fixed the attitude probs he had at Barcelona (no passing) and had an impressive game against us. Very athletic, good technique, fine shooting form - his ceiling is Stojakovic II. IMO Skiles is also just the right coach for him.  Having said this, I am still wary of his character and whether he will put in the necessary work.

Willie Cauley Stein
(nr 6) is fine: per 36 min he averages a double double and 2.2. blocks.

But having seen him he play and given his age (22), I am happy we did not trade up for him (remember how Kevin O'Connor kept repeating that he is exactly what we need  ::)  )

Mudiay at 7 might prove a steal. He is at least as good as Russell.

Stanley Johnson at 8 feels just about right.

Kaminsky (nr 9) ... lolz. He should have been at the 20s.

Kelly Oubre at 15 is not a steal, but it is a really good deal.

Bobby Portis at 22- steal.

Milutinov at 26 by SAS is an interesting choice. My bet is that if he had played college bball he would be about 10 positions higher in the draft.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 05:06:56 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Omg Chambers! Why did you have to show me that!

No really though I went back and Forth on Stanley Johnson and Turner my two biggest Binkies on who I liked more for the Celtics.

That jumper looks so [dang] sweet. And he's a crazy athlete. Oh man..

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 05:11:50 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

No really though I went back and Forth on Stanley Johnson and Turner my two biggest Binkies on who I liked more for the Celtics.

KGLL: they both were too high for us to draft. No reason for remorse.  ;D

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 06:12:50 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

No. This ask goes back to the why didn't we just lose a few more games at the end of the season debate.

Instead we offered like 100 picks to move up 7 spots. Oh well. Rozier is the next Iverson lol.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 08:19:11 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Phew! It'd been a whole day since the last Turner thread. Glad you started a new one, Chambers.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 08:26:31 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Terrific player. All-Star talent for sure.

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 09:00:41 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Winslow and Turner were the obvious choices at their draft slots so it wasn't rocket science by the Pacers - same with Portis who dropped too far. If we had just drafted Portis, winning a few extra games and missing out on Winslow/Turner wouldn't hurt as much. Oh well, that's the gamble in the draft and Mickey may be the best of all of them (however unlikely that may be).

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 09:19:23 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
But that playoff run last year though! I'll cherish those memories forever.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 09:34:48 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

****! Play on!

While it is way too early to tell,  Myles Turner may turn out to be the best player in last years draft. Some of the things he does are beyond some of the top players in the league.  Watch his footwork.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 12:52:28 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Exactly

Moreover, without that playoff run this time would not be the same. These games forged the players' character and chemistry.

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 01:02:11 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

KGLL: they both were too high for us to draft. No reason for remorse.  ;D
Disagree. Ainge could have made a move, like he almost pulled off for Winslow.

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 01:43:30 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

Agree on Turner.

Altho it's extremely early, here are my thoughts on the draft.

The three bigs (Towns, Okafor, Porzingis) are all great, only time will tell who is the best.

Personal favourite is Okafor, he has guts and great offensive tools (his dribble is insane for his size) but Porzingis is fantastic on both ends. Towns I have watched more as a college player than as a pro, so I'll keep quiet on this front  :laugh:

D'Angelo Russell at 2 is too high, he might be a top 10 player but he is not top 5. With Jerry West gone LAL seems to be making less good decisions.

Hezonja (nr 5) I never liked but he seems to have fixed the attitude probs he had at Barcelona (no passing) and had an impressive game against us. Very athletic, good technique, fine shooting form - his ceiling is Stojakovic II. IMO Skiles is also just the right coach for him.  Having said this, I am still wary of his character and whether he will put in the necessary work.

Willie Cauley Stein
(nr 6) is fine: per 36 min he averages a double double and 2.2. blocks.

But having seen him he play and given his age (22), I am happy we did not trade up for him (remember how Kevin O'Connor kept repeating that he is exactly what we need  ::)  )

Mudiay at 7 might prove a steal. He is at least as good as Russell.

Stanley Johnson at 8 feels just about right.

Kaminsky (nr 9) ... lolz. He should have been at the 20s.

Kelly Oubre at 15 is not a steal, but it is a really good deal.

Bobby Portis at 22- steal.

Milutinov at 26 by SAS is an interesting choice. My bet is that if he had played college bball he would be about 10 positions higher in the draft.
Devin Booker has looked incredible to me. He could be top 3-5 in this draft IMO.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 01:53:07 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Turner indeed looks fantastic so far. I remember last spring/summer, there were a lot of doubters on Turner and Porzingis. It looks like both big men, plus Towns and Okafor, are all the real deal. All 4 of them can be all-stars eventual. Impressive.

There was also a ton of talk about which wing was better, with not much separation between Hezonja, Winslow, Stanley Johnson, Oubre, and RHJ. I have to say, so far, there still is not much separation, and all of them have underwhelmed. To be fair, Oubre and Hezonja haven't gotten many chances from their respective coaches, and RHJ got injured quickly. What do you guys think? Which one of these wings is the better prospect? Do any of them have a legit shot at being a star?