Author Topic: Would you have been upset if Ainge had traded most of our assets for Winslow?  (Read 1710 times)

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I was disappointed to see Winslow slip to 9 and not grab him ourselves on draft night, but looking back at the reports that Ainge offered 6 picks, 4 1st rounders and 2 second rounders, including an unprotected Nets pick, that sounds crazy. That's most of our assets for a guy who slipped to #9 and has proven nothing in the league. If he ends up being the next Paul Pierce of course it would all have been worth it, but he could easily be the next Jeff Green or Harrison Barnes. Not a bust, but nowhere near worth all those assets. That would have set us back big time and the calls to fire Ainge would have been legitimate if that had happened.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
It certainly gave me a lot of pause.

Offline anewframe

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
Hard to say. I do love his game, but without knowing what he might turn into I would say it might have been an overpay in my opinion.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
It certainly gave me a lot of pause.

Me too. I could be wrong, but it looks like Danny got caught up in the moment and would have made one of those trades that people look back on and say "wow, what was that guy thinking!"

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
If he becomes the next Harrison Barnes, that would be worth what we reportedly were going to give up. Those 6 picks were likely going to turn into 4 busts, the next Aaron Brooks and the next Maurice Speights.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
if he had traded any Nets picks I would have been unhappy. But I would be fine if he had traded like 16,28, 45, and Sully.

I believe in J Young about as much as most wings in this draft so I'm not that disappointed he didn't get Winslow nor am I killing myself we missed out on Myles Turner or Kaminsky. I didn't see any of that as sell the farm type stuff at all

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
i would have been surprised.   Upset probably not.  Winslow's a good player but that is a ton to give up for him.  I don't think it would have been a good move.  It takes a lot to get me upset though. Like eja said james young is really the key there although i don't think young will ever be the attacking player Winslow is.  We need a sf that is going to attack the basket.  I think that is what Ainge was thinking. We got Terry Rozier instead who is more a pg/sg.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If he becomes the next Harrison Barnes, that would be worth what we reportedly were going to give up. Those 6 picks were likely going to turn into 4 busts, the next Aaron Brooks and the next Maurice Speights.

Huh??!!

Aaron Brooks is pretty good!  Are we watching the same guy?

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
if he had traded any Nets picks I would have been unhappy. But I would be fine if he had traded like 16,28, 45, and Sully.

I believe in J Young about as much as most wings in this draft so I'm not that disappointed he didn't get Winslow nor am I killing myself we missed out on Myles Turner or Kaminsky. I didn't see any of that as sell the farm type stuff at all

I don't see anything in James Young

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
i would have been surprised.   Upset probably not.  Winslow's a good player but that is a ton to give up for him.  I don't think it would have been a good move.  It takes a lot to get me upset though. Like eja said james young is really the key there although i don't think young will ever be the attacking player Winslow is.  We need a sf that is going to attack the basket.  I think that is what Ainge was thinking.
Yeah but maybe Young becomes good enough you don't have to give up the farm for Winslow. Maybe you just send Young and Terry Rozier.

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
i would have been surprised.   Upset probably not.  Winslow's a good player but that is a ton to give up for him.  I don't think it would have been a good move.  It takes a lot to get me upset though. Like eja said james young is really the key there although i don't think young will ever be the attacking player Winslow is.  We need a sf that is going to attack the basket.  I think that is what Ainge was thinking.
Yeah but maybe Young becomes good enough you don't have to give up the farm for Winslow. Maybe you just send Young and Terry Rozier.

Well that's the thing i think he would have preferred Winslow over Rozier and Young.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Shows you what those assets are worth.

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Shows you what those assets are worth.

According to one team.

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Yes, I would have been upset.

The trade up offer to Charlotte was a mistake.

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
  I have said this before and will continue to believe that it will eventually come out that the Celtics were after Winslow to trade to New York.  Porzingis I believe was the target.