Author Topic: Stevens doesn't think we need a big  (Read 4263 times)

Re: Stevens doesn't think we need a big
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 12:50:09 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
This is a quote from the Tom Ziller article linked on the front page.  I found it interesting, and have bolded for emphasis:

"Everybody starts with ones, twos, threes, fours and fives when they’re looking at a basketball team," Stevens said. "I look at ball handlers, wings, swings and bigs. I’ve only got four categories. The more guys that can play the more positions the better. Right now when you look at our roster, I think we’ve got the three of the four categories with a lot of depth. That swing area where you can go three, four and play that way, that’s the area we’re going to have to address as we move into the next few weeks."

It sounds like he'd prefer free agency targets like Leonard, Green, and Harris as opposed to Monroe or Love.  Who knows if we'll get any of them, but this would confirm why Winslow was the #1 target, as that's absolutely the role he fills.  It would also be surprising, therefore, if Crowder were allowed to get away, as he's probably the only player on the roster who really fills that role.

That's not to say that I think Stevens would turn down a talent upgrade in the bigs.  But if you were to say he could only get one big free agent, I think that's the type of player he'd like.  It makes me wonder if the C's will make a big offer to convince Golden State to sign-and-trade Green, if Green were interested in coming here.

My interpretation of his quote it's not about needing talent on certain areas, but more so about depth.

Yes, but I think he would like the focus to be on the swing position, and not bigs.  I'm sure no coach ever would turn down a talent upgrade.  But we have two rotation bigs hitting free agency (unless he considers Jerebko a swing), and it seems unlikely they'll be replaced by others at that position.  And as GSW just won a title featuring a rotation without a true big, its entirely possible to create a championship team without upgrading the bigs.

Oh I do think their priority will be to get 3/4 type of player like Harris. But I think above positional needs they'll look for talent regardless and worry about positions/fit later.

So I think they'll go hard for Monroe regardless of our apparent depth there, but roster depth wise, I think their priority will be for someone like Harris.

Ultimately, I don't think it's worth pondering too much about it. They'll try to land the best players they can get, particularly at the 3/4 and 5/4 mold.

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 03:37:43 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Great thread and TP.

Thing is there is already another thread on the the exact same quote of CBS with a long list of replies.

A merger might make sense  ;)

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 03:58:43 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Going strictly by numbers, "swing" is definitely the thinnest of the areas Stevens describes.

That said, none of our "bigs" is spectacular, and no team recently (ever?) has won a title without at least one legit big. This year's Warriors used a lot of small ball, but they still utilized Bogut, Lee, and Ezeli quite a bit throughout the playoffs.

The only team good enough to ever win a title while playing true small ball (that is, using it nearly all the time) is the team LeBron's on, and that ain't us.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 04:26:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Great thread and TP.

Thing is there is already another thread on the the exact same quote of CBS with a long list of replies.

A merger might make sense  ;)

You have merger mania today, Greece. What, do you work on Wall St.??

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 04:37:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Say it ain't so

My heart

Skipped

At least

Two beats

I may need help recovering

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 04:39:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Never like bringing knifes to,a gun fight.

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 04:44:51 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Seemed to work pretty well for golden state.

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 04:44:51 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
People should stop thinking Brad S thinks about anything else but delivering the party line.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 04:45:07 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
 :o
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin