Poll

Would you accept the deal?

Yes
62 (91.2%)
No
6 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Kelly for Pistons #8 pick  (Read 10218 times)

Re: Kelly for Pistons #8 pick
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2015, 07:59:29 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Danny's greatest asset, besides all those draft picks, is time. He can either work a trade, or sign as FA, an experienced player that will make us contenders, or he can go down the longer path by picking a kid who may take some time to develop into a stud (e.g., Porzingis), in a trade up.  That flexibility is what makes this so intriguing!!

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2015, 08:15:02 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I like the idea of this and I think KO complements Drummond well, but I also think its going to be difficult to convinve Detroit to move their pick when Stanley Johnson and potentially Hezonja are on the board as those guys would be BPA, fill a need, and be great value at 8.

I agree this draft has a talent drop at pick 9-10 depending on how you rank Turner. That should make it really hard for the Pistons to make this deal unless they think KO and the player they get at #16 (likely looking for a SF, Decker? RHJ?) can be long term solutions for them.

I would think this deal would only happen if the guys left available are not high on their list and if the Cs add to this trade. Maybe the Cs add #28 and #33 or may add J Young? I could see this happening if the lottery goes like this....

#1 T Wolves Towns/Okafor
#2 LAL          Towns/ Okafor
#3 76ers       Russell
#4 NYK          Prozingis
#5 Magic        Herzonja
#6 Kings        Mudiay
#7 Nuggets   Winslow

If sitting at #8 the BPA are WCS, S Johnson, Oubre and Turner its not a stretch to see the Pistons being willing to trade down. Other teams like the Pacers may try to get up for WCS but the Cs can use their pool of picks to likely out bid them. If Detroit isn't solid on Johnson or is not willing to wait on Oubre or Turners development I could see the trade becoming a real option. Obviously WCS and Drummond are not a good pairing and they would cripple the pistons offense. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2015, 08:33:05 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd do KO +16 for #8 in a heartbeat.

- I don't think KO will improve much.  just my opinion.  still too tentative on the court on offense.  if he were constantly assertive (which we only saw every 3rd game as the season wound down) he would be much more effective on the court. 
- #16 figures to have yet another PF as the BPA at that time.  don't need yet another PF that we'd have to hope would turn out as good as Sully or KO.
- #8 would open up the opportunity to have a non-PF as the BPA at that time.  WCS should still be available and would address a definite need on this team for a defending big man.  I think he'd pair well with Sully where WCS can defend the better offensive player on the other team where Sully, being a very good rebounder, could cover the rebounds very well.  Johnson is also an option here as a solid defensive SF with a (hopefully) improving offensive game. 
- KO would seem to be more appealing to Detroit (saw their sites comments about Kevin O's postings) because he'd offer the stretch 4 that should work well with Drummond.  There's a good possibility that whomever's available at 8 won't offer that offensive fit with Drummond.

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2015, 08:37:27 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
You all gamble on the top 8 all becoming allstar caliber player.
I'd rather trade young players + picks for proven ones.
And I don't think DA is playing GM game. He has to do calculated risk, not gambling...

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2015, 08:49:42 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
And I don't think DA is playing GM game. He has to do calculated risk, not gambling...

The issue is at least based on media reports very few vets with value seem attainable through trades. The only team right now thought to be going into a rebuild and therefore making vets attainable is the Nuggets. This will likely put Lawson, Faried and Chandler on the trading block. The other team rumor / speculated to be willing to take a step back is Toronto. This would put Derozan and Lawson on the block. These are all options for the Cs but moving up in the draft seems like a smarter longterm building move. Not to mention that the Cs could still go after Vets with other assets while moving up in the draft.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2015, 08:49:51 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Detroit has been my ideal draft trade partner. We could still grab Johnson or WCS at #8.

I'd also be content with taking Portis at #16 and trading #28/ KO/Sully/Future 1sts for a center or small forward.

If we make the deal with Detroit we'd have to go after either Harris, Middleton, Green (if we draft WCS) or Gasol, Aldridge, Jordan (if we draft Johnson).
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2015, 09:01:03 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not really.  granted some have posted high expectations that #8 is practically an assured all-star but personally, my motivation is to be in a better position to draft a player better suited to fill a need where that player is the BPA at the time. 

as for trading for proven players --> sure, who wouldn't if that were an available option?  if it's not available, I'd have no issue with moving an asset that seems to have peaked and another asset of moderate value for an asset that could address one of the team's needs.

put another way, would you rather go into the season with Sully, KO and Portis or Sully and WCS?  In this case, I think I'd take the latter option based on covering 2 positions rather than having 3 guys that play the same position and having to use one of them to back up Zeller.

another consideration, Sully, KO and Portis (or Lyles or other PF taken at #16) don't project to be sure-thing starters but guys that could start at PF if they were next to a defensive center.  WCS projects to be a starting-quality defensive center.  He's not a sure thing but he's an excellent college defender and those skills are expected to carryover very well to the pro game.  he may not develop into much of an offensive player but I could live with that.

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2015, 09:15:43 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I'd rather it be sully + 16 for 8 but would do Oly + 16.
I'd target WCS or porzingis with the pick.
WCS brings the D and would pair well next to Oly.

If WCS was the pick I would target a scoring 3 in FA.

Porzingis needs to develop but could be a shot blocking stretch 4 star.
If we landed him we should aim straight at Monroe to play center.
Oly or sully can start for a few years as porzingis develops.

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2015, 09:30:18 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Seems like a fair deal for both sides but this is the sort of thing you only do on draft night when you know what player will be available at #8.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2015, 09:47:26 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
not really.  granted some have posted high expectations that #8 is practically an assured all-star but personally, my motivation is to be in a better position to draft a player better suited to fill a need where that player is the BPA at the time. 

as for trading for proven players --> sure, who wouldn't if that were an available option?  if it's not available, I'd have no issue with moving an asset that seems to have peaked and another asset of moderate value for an asset that could address one of the team's needs.

put another way, would you rather go into the season with Sully, KO and Portis or Sully and WCS?  In this case, I think I'd take the latter option based on covering 2 positions rather than having 3 guys that play the same position and having to use one of them to back up Zeller.

another consideration, Sully, KO and Portis (or Lyles or other PF taken at #16) don't project to be sure-thing starters but guys that could start at PF if they were next to a defensive center.  WCS projects to be a starting-quality defensive center.  He's not a sure thing but he's an excellent college defender and those skills are expected to carryover very well to the pro game.  he may not develop into much of an offensive player but I could live with that.

Thank you for your explanation.
It is a bit of a reach to say, nobody is available in trade and KO seems to have peak after only 2 seasons.
Based on these 2 things, yes I would agree 100% with you, but I'm not as convinced as you there is nobody available in trade. Last trade deadline was a perfect example where many players were available while nobody saw it coming. As for KO, as DA said, he might be a late bloomer. I would rather wait another season for him, because as far as I'm concerned, he's still showing great improvements. But those improvements are not the flashy ones, so the fans chose to not see them.
Among our young players, I will say only AB shows some sign of peak.

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2015, 10:01:33 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm looking at the #8 as an opportunity to maybe get a solid two-way starting caliber player with an outside chance at being an All-Star caliber player.

Frankly, the Celtics lack two-way players who are clear cut starters. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2015, 10:16:26 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I'm looking at the #8 as an opportunity to maybe get a solid two-way starting caliber player with an outside chance at being an All-Star caliber player.

and whom, among those players who realistically might be around at #8, would you include in that elusive yet enticing category?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2015, 10:18:50 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Seems like a fair deal for both sides but this is the sort of thing you only do on draft night when you know what player will be available at #8.
i thought about this as well. yet, what if a great player slides unexpectedly? that happened with pierce. slated for #2 or 3, he slide to #10. if such a player slides detroit might not follow through and instead keep the pick.

hmmm... ainge would probably think of this though and arrange for some sort of protection.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2015, 11:38:51 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

and whom, among those players who realistically might be around at #8, would you include in that elusive yet enticing category?

Winslow and Porzingis could be available at 8, and both profile as potential difference makers on both ends.

Hezonja and WCS profile as high level difference makers on one end, but each could also be solid on the other end given their size.

Stanley Johnson also profiles as a potential two-way difference maker.

I don't expect any of the guys I just mentioned to turn into a superstar.  But all have good size and athleticism for the position they play and the tools to eventually become a fixture in the starting lineup.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2015, 11:44:40 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
OMG we are being massacred in this poll  :'(