Author Topic: Raptors (48-32) at Celtics (38-42) Game #81 4/14/15  (Read 54960 times)

Raptors (48-32) at Celtics (38-42) Game #81 4/14/15
« on: April 13, 2015, 10:59:05 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Toronto Raptors (48-32) at Boston Celtics (38-42)
Tuesday, April 14, 2015
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #81, Home Game #41
TV: CSNNE, TSN,  NBA-LP 750 (DTV)/751, 752(xfinity)
Radio: 98.5 The Sports Hub, Sportsnet 590
TD Garden

Marcus Smart...Avery Bradley...Evan Turner...Brandon Bass...Tyler Zeller

Celtics Reserves
Gerald Wallace
Jae Crowder
James Young
Phil Pressey
Chris Babb
Isaiah Thomas
Jonas Jerebko
Gigi Datome
Kelly Olynyk
Jared Sullinger

Injuries
None

Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Kyle Lowry...DeMar DeRozan...Terrence Ross...Tyler Hansbrough...Jonas Valanciunas

Raptors Reserves
Bruno Caboclo
Landry Fields
Chuck Hayes
James Johnson
Lucas Nogueira
Patrick Patterson
Greg Stiemsma
Lou Williams

Injuries
Amir Johnson  (ankle)  questionable

Game Notes
The Celtics host the Raptors in their last home game of the regular season.  This is the 4th and final meeting between these two division rivals this season.   The Raptors lead the series 2-1, winning one game in Boston in November and one in Toronto in January.  The Celtics won their last meeting in Toronto on April 4. 

The Raptors seemed to have that one won as they led by 1 point with just 2.6 seconds left but Marcus Smart hit the game winner at the buzzer to give the Celtics a 117-116 win.  Toronto fans called foul, saying that the time keeper didn't start the clock on time, but the Celtics came away with the win.  So, the Raptors have a very good reason to want to win this game.

They also have other motivation to want this game.  They are still fighting for playoff positioning.  They clinched home court in the first round regardless of their opponent.  They are in the 4th spot, half a game behind the Bulls.  If they remain the 4th seed, they would play the Wizards but if they move up to the 3rd spot, they would face the Bucks. 

The Raptors are on the last game of a 4 game road trip.  They are 3-0 on the trip so far, having beaten the Hornets, Magic, and Heat so far on the trip.  They have a chance to go 4-0 on a road trip for the first time in franchise history.  Also, a win in this game would set a new franchise record for wins in a season. 

The Celtics have clinched the playoffs by virtue of the Bulls beating the Nets on Monday night.  So, whether they win or lose this game, the Celtics will be in the playoffs.  Their positioning is still in question, however.   They are one game ahead of Indiana, who slipped into the 8th spot by half a games.   Winning should keep them in the 7th spot.  A couple of losses combined with an Indiana win would drop them to the 8th spot. 

They are in the playoffs regardless of the outcome of this game.   Even though the Hawks might be a more attractive matchup for the Celtics, since they have beaten them once already,  Brad Stevens will want to win both games to go into the playoffs with confidence and on a winning note. 

Key Matchups
vs
Avery Bradley vs DeMar DeRozan
DeRozan is capable of putting up a lot of points in a short time as they found out last game.  DeRozan finished that game with 38 points.  He is averaging 20.1 points, 4.6 rebounds, 3.5 assists, and 1.2 steals.  Avery will need to work on defense to keep him from having a big game.

vs
Marcus Smart vs Kyle Lowry
Smart has been compared to Lowry more than once and both are tough defensive point guards.  Lowry is averaging 17.7 points, 6.8 assists, and 4.7 rebounds per game.   Marcus needs to play tough defense to keep the Raptors from getting into their sets quickly and to keep Lowry from having a big game.   

Honorable Mention
Isaiah Thomas vs Lou Williams
Williams is the Raptors' offensive threat off the bench and is capable of putting up a lot of points in a hurry as evidenced by his 27 points in their last game vs the Celtics.  Isaiah Thomas can do the same for the Celtics and hopefully he has a better night than Williams.  Both are in the discussion for 6th man of the year and their head to head matchup may garner one or the other some votes.  Williams is averaging 15.5 points, 2.0 assists and 1.5 rebounds per game. 

Keys to the Game

Defense
Defense has always been and always will be the key to winning. The Celtics defense was exceptional against the Cavs in the last game. When they play tough defense it also brings more energy to their offense. The Raptors are 4th in the league in scoring at 104.3 points per game so it will be very important to bring tough defense right from the start and keep it up throughout the game.

Be Aggressive
The Celtics must be aggressive on defense, in going after loose balls, in crashing the boards, and just all around going all out. They have to aggressively attack the basket. They need to start the game with that aggressive attitude and be aggressive through the whole game with no let up.

Rebound
The Celtics must crash the boards. They can't score if they don't have the ball. Much of rebounding is effort and desire. The Celtics have to be the team that puts out more effort from every player to go after rebounds.

Run and Move the Ball
The Celtics need to run on every possession and get up the court before the defenses get set up.  When the Celtics slow down, they don't play very well and so they need to run throughout the game.  They also have to move the ball and find the open man.  When they over-dribble and slow it down,  their offense gets stagnant.  The Celtics must run and keep the ball moving.   

Start Strong -  The Raptors are 29-7 when they lead after the first quarter.  The Celtics need to get off to a strong start  and then keep playing hard through the final buzzer.  Brad Stevens called their game against the Cavs a complete game and they need another game like that to get a win in this one.

X-Factors
Home Game and Motivation

This is the Celtics final home game of the regular season and the crowd will be very excited knowing that they will have playoff basketball this year.  The crowd should give the team an extra boost.   The Celtics should be motivated to close out the season strong and to enter the playoffs on a high note,  but then again,  they may be motivated to miss the Cavs in the first round. 

Re: Raptors (48-32) at Celtics (38-42) Game #81 4/14/15
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 11:23:54 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
FIRST!!! yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes...firstfirstfirstfirstfirstfirstfirstfirst!!!  ;D

thanks for the thread flc. though the hairy hats were not the most delightful items  :P ...unless of course one of them is actually your own hair.  :o

celtics will be in the playoffs, so flc has a lot more work to do with more great threads!

gooooo celtics!!
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 07:21:15 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Thanks hwangjini_1!   And your hard work to be first got you a TP:)   Yea!  Playoffs here we come!!   Gooooooo Celtics!!!!

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 08:40:31 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I have a feeling if you are not there to make the thread, it means the game is canceled :)

Goal Nr. 1 IMO should be to enter the playoffs healthy. I hope everyone with a little nagging something takes it easy now. Probably the Cavs scheme of 25 something minutes per game would do it.

Otherwise, I still have some hope left the Wizards will catch on Toronto in the standings, which will give us a chance at that forgotten Wiz 2nd rounder. We can give them a bump today.

"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 08:41:45 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Go Celtics!

Game at 7:30 PM

Be there or be square
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 12:09:51 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 10:29:35 AM »

Offline xPOORx

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
  • {Hench4Life}
Green machine!! Im hoping the machine take some time to rest tonight, we are in already, now let's just be rested and healthy.  You know Lebron is looking to destroy us after the last two.

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 11:01:28 AM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
So pumped to be in the playoffs. We're garunteed Atleast four additional games of celtics basketball. Cheaaa!
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 11:39:09 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I would like to see Gigi and James Young getting minutes tonight.

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 05:06:46 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I would like to see Gigi and James Young getting minutes tonight.
Same here, especially Young. I love his flawless shooting form  ;D

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 05:41:03 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Anybody in Boston should note that there are like 700 tickets available right now and they start at $7 on StubHub, if I was there I would totally go.  I'm kind of surprised that there are that many

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 06:01:46 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
TP for the work FL, why is Young not active, any ideas?
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 06:19:10 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I had a look in reddit and twitter, Stevens said he and Babb will be available but inactive and did not give any specific reason.

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 06:50:29 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I had a look in reddit and twitter, Stevens said he and Babb will be available but inactive and did not give any specific reason.

you do realize some players have to be inactive, who else is he going to make inactive with a fully healthy team? You could argue GWall but he is already being a good sport about not playing, I wouldn't punish him further by not making him available just to MAYBE play JY when CBS isn't worried about resting or allowing our guys to coast. CBS isn't going to play JY just because we are in the playoffs, he wants us to be clicking and playing who/how we will in the playoffs. GWall is more important in the playoffs than JY because he has been there, done that.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 07:09:02 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
ummm not good enough

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 07:36:31 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
ummm not good enough

...yet! Lil Pac is going to figure it out!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)