Author Topic: Is Smart in Steven's doghouse?  (Read 16563 times)

Re: Is Smart in Steven's doghouse?
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2015, 04:59:35 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I think he might just be hitting a rookie wall.  His offense is a work in progress.  It takes a while for some players.  Just look at Avery Bradley.  I think Smarts ceiling is higher than Bradley's.  Bradley was a mess his rookie year and look at him now.

In fairness to AB, he really never played until the last 1-2 games of his rookie year, but when he did get a chance to play, he dropped 20 on the knicks, iirc, which is far better than what we've seen from Smart so far.

AB literally had a good half of basketball vs. the Knicks on the last game of the regular season, when both teams were resting anyone who was a regular, since they were going to start a playoff series against each other in three days.  It was a fun game to watch, but to say that his game against the Knicks was better than the 25/9/5 line that Smart put up just 10 days ago against OKC in the middle of a playoff race for both teams is just laughable.

I know that it was our b and c team versus the same for the knicks, but I guess my whole thing is that, when AB was given an opportunity, not only did he embrace it, but he pretty much showed us much of what he could be.  With Smart, it seems like he has maybe one good game a month, no matter who he's playing against.  Sometimes, like last night's game, he'll go 0-6, but then in other contests he'll play more minutes but only take 3 shots, leaving me to think, "huh?"  I'm just completely baffled by how bad he's been.  Like I said before, I'm not giving up on him, but I think he needs to take a real look at his game, as well as his physique.  Perhaps if he lost 15-20 lbs. he might be able to get to the basket, as opposed to what's not happening right now.  It couldn't hurt, right?

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2015, 07:40:13 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
marcus stats get skewed by the fact he is the one putting up shots when clock is running down-eye test only-maybe brads playing front office game for refs and league and actually shielding marcus from refs at moment-again alot of learning for a rookie and isiah being out without sullinger to throw his weight around-

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2015, 07:53:17 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I think he might just be hitting a rookie wall.  His offense is a work in progress.  It takes a while for some players.  Just look at Avery Bradley.  I think Smarts ceiling is higher than Bradley's.  Bradley was a mess his rookie year and look at him now.

In fairness to AB, he really never played until the last 1-2 games of his rookie year, but when he did get a chance to play, he dropped 20 on the knicks, iirc, which is far better than what we've seen from Smart so far.

AB literally had a good half of basketball vs. the Knicks on the last game of the regular season, when both teams were resting anyone who was a regular, since they were going to start a playoff series against each other in three days.  It was a fun game to watch, but to say that his game against the Knicks was better than the 25/9/5 line that Smart put up just 10 days ago against OKC in the middle of a playoff race for both teams is just laughable.

I know that it was our b and c team versus the same for the knicks, but I guess my whole thing is that, when AB was given an opportunity, not only did he embrace it, but he pretty much showed us much of what he could be.  With Smart, it seems like he has maybe one good game a month, no matter who he's playing against.  Sometimes, like last night's game, he'll go 0-6, but then in other contests he'll play more minutes but only take 3 shots, leaving me to think, "huh?"  I'm just completely baffled by how bad he's been.  Like I said before, I'm not giving up on him, but I think he needs to take a real look at his game, as well as his physique.  Perhaps if he lost 15-20 lbs. he might be able to get to the basket, as opposed to what's not happening right now.  It couldn't hurt, right?

AB shot .343 from the 2 and .000 from the 3 and .500 on FTs in his first year.

Smart hit a 3, went 3-3 from the line and scored 10 points to go along with 4 steals, a couple of assists and a couple of boards in his first game in the NBA.

« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2015, 08:55:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Doc was a better ball handler and Smart is a better defender.   The comparison is a poor one to me, Doc did not have the physicality that Smart brings to the table.   

« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2015, 10:41:53 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Doc Rivers: Celtics’ Marcus Smart Reminds Me Of ‘A Better Version Of Me’

BOSTON — Doc Rivers has kept tabs on the Celtics since leaving Boston two summers ago, and he’s liked what he’s seen in rookie point guard Marcus Smart.

“He reminds me of me — a better version of me,” the Los Angeles Clippers coach said before Sunday’s matchup with the Celtics at TD Garden. “I’m serious. I really mean that. I think, a better version, and I’m not kidding.”

Rivers enjoyed a 14-year run as an NBA point guard before transitioning into the coaching ranks, even earning an All-Star nod during the 1987-88 season. Smart and Rivers weren’t identical players (the former is roughly 40 pounds heavier, for one), but the former Celtics coach notices a number of similarities between their respective games.

“He’s a defensive guard, but he can score — that’s the difference,” Rivers said. “He’s a big guard, he’s not a pure point. He never really played point in college. He’s got a strong body, he’s tough and he likes defense. He’s a really good defensive player. On the ball, off the ball. Yet he’s making plays, too, offensively. I like him a lot.”

Smart’s love for all things defense is a trait few NBA rookies possess.

“It’s rare,” Rivers said. “(Celtics guard Avery Bradley) was a little like that. Marcus is a little different than (Bradley). He’s good. I didn’t know him much (before the season). I knew he was going high in the draft, so I knew I didn’t have to look at him much. But watching him this summer, you’re watching him and thinking, ‘Ooh, he’s going to be good.’ ”

It also helps that one of the better games of Smart’s young career came against Rivers’ Clippers. Smart finished with 14 points and seven assists off the bench Jan. 19 in a 101-92 Celtics loss at Staples Center.

http://nesn.com/2015/03/doc-rivers-celtics-marcus-smart-reminds-me-of-a-better-version-of-me/

Well, that's it, then.  I'm done with Smart, lol (sarcasm). ;D Honestly, though, if Doc Rivers is the best we can hope for, uh, we might be better off just trading him now, lol. ;D

For what it's worth - I made this same comparison a week or two ago in the  'Marcus Smart NBA comparison' thread.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=77023.15

He DOES remind me of a young Doc Rivers.

That's not a bad thing to get out of a #6 pick.  Doc had a very solid, long NBA career.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2015, 11:20:08 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I think Smart is working on his ability to score in the paint it seems like he's trying to diversify his moves and whatnot. So far it just isn't working. I think not playing him and making him sit in the corner when he does play is not a good way to get over this. I don't think we can afford to miss on this guy.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2015, 11:26:50 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
We're in game 73 of his rookie year, on a team that had more roster turnover than any other in the league. If he looks worn out mentally and physically, he has good reason.

We will learn a lot more about him in the first 20 games of his second season than we will in the last 10 games of his first season. Let's be patient.

« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2015, 11:36:30 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Pressey should never play over Smart, IT, or Bradley, even if they are a combined 0-50.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2015, 11:55:56 AM »

Offline C-Green

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
I think years from now we we going to learn that Stevens found Smart to be a difficult player to coach. I have zero evidence to this but just have a hunch given all the yoyoing of Smart in and out of the lineup. He is obviously not doing what Stevens expects from him and I know Stevens isn't cool with Smart's on the court dirty play at times that have gotten him Flagrants and ejections.

I think the problem with Stevens he wants to run a "good ol boy" team where he takes the players out for ice cream regardless if they win or lose like in little league.

I have no problem with Smart's play on the court.

What about all the dirty hits the Celts have taken from other players like DWade and Whiteside?
I agree completely, TP.
I think Stevens is a great coach, but his personality really contradicts Smarts. Smart plays with that fire. He wont hesitate to hit you and he hates losing. You can see it in his actions. He is very emotive. Stevens, on the other hand is very reserved. I think they can make it work and I think that it could be very valuable if Smart becomes a leader on the team to see his fire when you need energy and when things get hectic you will have the calming presence of Brad, but right now they arent exactly seeing eye to eye I dont think.
I don't think it has much to do with them having different personalities, I think it has to do with Smart's terrible offense of late as well as not controlling and channeling his emotions into better play. He got leveled and didn't get the call, he goes to the hoop (rarely) and gets fouled and its a no call, on defense he picks up some foul calls that are suspect; all reasons to be upset. However, when he starts confronting people and running the risk of getting T's, flagrant fouls etc he should be pulled out. Again, he has reason to be frustrated and he is not channeling into better play, rather getting into further trouble. I agree with Stevens pulling him before he got himself into trouble.

« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2015, 12:00:16 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 906
We're in game 73 of his rookie year, on a team that had more roster turnover than any other in the league. If he looks worn out mentally and physically, he has good reason.

We will learn a lot more about him in the first 20 games of his second season than we will in the last 10 games of his first season. Let's be patient.

Thank you and TP for writing exactly what I came here to right.  Look, I know it's Boston and we're used to building up athletes and then tearing them down when they don't meet our expectations right away.  I hated the draft pick last year, but after having watched him for most of his rookie season, I'm actually beginning to enjoy the Celtics games again.  He's a big part of the reason.

[Rant]Should he be in Stevens's doghouse (for now)?  I think so.  Does he occasionally look like the kid who ran into the stands to attack a fan?  Yup.  But the kid just turned 21.  Most people were playing beer pong at that age.  Not me, because I'm a dork, but most normal people.

In the past week I've seen threads about trading for James Young and now this one where we're seeing suggestions to trade Smart because he's not Rondo.  Nobody on the team is untradeable, but can we give the kids a couple of years to develop before we ship them off for Tayshaun Prince?[/Rant]

Mike

« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2015, 12:01:38 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Think people are reading negatively into "Smart, Stevens". Smart would get more minutes if he was playing better and the team was going after the playoffs. Clearly something with the whole team is off (like management called for the tank) everyone is bummed and not focused. They are giving mins to everyone like it's a showcase for the FAs and trades (as was the case at beginning of year when C's were really bad). Not a lot of crisp ball movement or hustle across the roster.

« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2015, 12:11:03 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Speaking only for myself, I'm pretty sure I'd stopped playing beer pong by 21.

At least, that's the lie I tell myself.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2015, 12:17:31 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
Um how is confronting people a bad thing. It's not like he's doing Demarcus Cousins stuff. Smart has 1 tech this year (http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/fouls/sort/technicalFouls/count/121).

I think Stevens seems willing to live with awful aspects of a player's game if they are his "type." I think Turner is his type why he gets more minutes that Smart.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2015, 12:19:42 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Besides Smart's defense, I have not read a single statement in this thread that gives any tangible evidence for why Smart will be a good player.  Instead, I see that he is young (a non positive statement if there ever was one), he hit the wall (another non-compliment), he's experimenting with his game (huh?), he's taken shots at the end of the clock (you're the ****' PG, get the team better shots then), his ankle injury is bothering him (really?), and on and on.

On the downside, we know he's slow (lose weight?), he can't finish, he need's to work on his handle (sorry, the good ones have this from day 1), his shot is inconsistent (he can work to get better but likely will never be great or very good), and he isn't a natural PG (again, day 1).

So seems to me most of hoping in one hand and Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ting in the other.  Let's see which one fills up first.

« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2015, 12:27:58 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
Besides Smart's defense, I have not read a single statement in this thread that gives any tangible evidence for why Smart will be a good player.  Instead, I see that he is young (a non positive statement if there ever was one), he hit the wall (another non-compliment), he's experimenting with his game (huh?), he's taken shots at the end of the clock (you're the ****' PG, get the team better shots then), his ankle injury is bothering him (really?), and on and on.

On the downside, we know he's slow (lose weight?), he can't finish, he need's to work on his handle (sorry, the good ones have this from day 1), his shot is inconsistent (he can work to get better but likely will never be great or very good), and he isn't a natural PG (again, day 1).

So seems to me most of hoping in one hand and ****ting in the other.  Let's see which one fills up first.
I don't think he's slow. I think he isn't very smooth but is very quick (which you can see when he plays defense).

Things he does well besides defense:
-Transition ball handling
-Vision and passing
-Making plays to get to 50/50 balls
-Posting up smaller point guards
I'm forum!