Author Topic: Marcus Smart NBA comparison  (Read 9328 times)

Re: Marcus Smart NBA comparison
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 08:59:30 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Would it be fair to say that since the All Star Break, Smart has already become a more valuable player than Tony Allen ever was?

Already? Tony Allen was a significant piece to a title winner...Smart has helped the Celtics fight for an 8th seed in a weak conference.

Yes and Tony Allen played with three hall of famers around him and has played for contenders his entire career. Marcus is already a better shooter, on his way to being an as good or even better defender and Marcus looks to be a better scorer/playmaker.

Who's Marcus Smart got to help carry this team? Isaiah Thomas and Jarred Sullinger are about it. And Brad Stevens.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 09:15:14 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Smart reminds me a lot of Chauncey Billups, with the notable exception of his shooting ability of course. But if he can improve like Chauncey did, watch out!

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 10:19:56 AM »

Offline mrceltic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
Smart reminds me a lot of Chauncey Billups, with the notable exception of his shooting ability of course. But if he can improve like Chauncey did, watch out!

Hopefully soon. The kid works hard on his game and it shows.

@the TA comparison: at least marcus' shot isn't as broken Lol.

IMO, our guy is all-defensive 3rd team at this point. The kid is like a glove the way he goes around screens(nut-punching aside).

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 11:02:25 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Better defender than CB though I would say.

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 11:52:26 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Billups didn't exactly set the NBA world on fire with shooting in his first handful of seasons, though...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 11:54:04 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
actually I don't think this has been mentioned, but how about Bruce Bowen?

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 12:27:02 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Would it be fair to say that since the All Star Break, Smart has already become a more valuable player than Tony Allen ever was?

Already? Tony Allen was a significant piece to a title winner...Smart has helped the Celtics fight for an 8th seed in a weak conference.

Yes and Tony Allen played with three hall of famers around him and has played for contenders his entire career. Marcus is already a better shooter, on his way to being an as good or even better defender and Marcus looks to be a better scorer/playmaker.

Who's Marcus Smart got to help carry this team? Isaiah Thomas and Jarred Sullinger are about it. And Brad Stevens.

I never said Tony Allen was more talented. The question was is Smart more valuable. Under the circumstances of comparison, I think Tony Allen was a more valuable player to that championship run then anything Smart has accomplished yet.

Is Smart more talented now and destined to potentially be a better NBA player than Allen? Yes.

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 01:03:25 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

If Smart is ever able to defend the three wing positions in the NBA I'll be estatic.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 01:03:29 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I don't get why people say TA has a better offensive game. Yes he can finish inside, but he was terrible at passing, seemed lost on offense, and COULDN'T shoot a ball if his life depended on it.

Smart is hovering around 33-36% 3pt which is something I'm happy about. Smart seems like a player that has great work ethic, and will only get better. He also seems more of a stronger leader than TA will ever be. If Smart was surrounded around Garnett, Allen, or Pierce, you could argue he could definitely be a lot better.

If Smart is ever able to defend the three wing positions in the NBA I'll be estatic.

Which is why I like Smart. His strength, and his wingspan helps him immensely. I liked him posting up Dirk, and Dirk seemed to struggle with his tenacious defense.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 01:16:03 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
This one hasn't been mentioned, and given the differences in personalities, probably is far from obvious, but Smart kinda reminds me of a young Doc Rivers.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2015, 12:30:30 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Doesn't really remind me of anybody, he's the original, one and only, Marcus Smart.

Since I should try to make a comparison, what about Alvin Robertson?

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2015, 12:36:06 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think its DWade....IF he learns to go to the basket more...

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2015, 01:15:35 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I think its DWade....IF he learns to go to the basket more...

I think he already shoots better than DWade did (the 3 at least), but he doesn't quite have his full athleticism or finishing ability.

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2015, 01:32:14 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
His game is so underdeveloped at this point, especially offensively, that I don't think you can even make a comparison. We have no idea who he will be in a couple of years.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2015, 03:44:52 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Defensively, he is very strong.  Physically he can bully lesser guards.  And he has enough rep that the refs let him play D without him fouling out of the game.  It's hard to find this type of package in a 6'4 point guard.

Offensively, still a work in progress, but his ability to take long range shots definitely helps with the floor spacing.  The Defense has to honor his 3-ball.  Something that a certain other former PG on this team could not bring to the table.  Just by being a credible shooting threat, Smart allows other players more room to operate on offense.

He's not a primary ballhandler yet, but I'm sure he will learn over time how to run the offense.  With creative players like Evan Turner and Isaiah Thomas available, Brad Stevens doesn't have to turn the keys over to Smart yet until he is fully ready.