Author Topic: Celtics (11-19) at Bulls (23-10) Game #31 1/3/15  (Read 59943 times)

Celtics (11-19) at Bulls (23-10) Game #31 1/3/15
« on: January 02, 2015, 10:53:42 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
at
Boston Celtics (11-19) at Chicago Bulls (23-10)
Saturday, January 3, 2015
8:00 PM ET
Game #31, Road Game #13
TV: CSNNE, WGN, NBA-LP 752(DTV/Xfinity)
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, ESPN 1000AM
United Center

Probable Starters

PG: Evan Turner................................................SG Avery Bradley

C:  Tyler Zeller

SF: Jeff Green ................................. ............PF Jared Sullinger

Celtics Reserves
Phil Pressey
Marcus Smart
Brandon Bass
Kelly Olynyk
Gerald Wallace
Jae Crowder
Brandan Wright

Injuries
Marcus Thornton (calf) out
Jameer Nelson (ankle) out

Red Claws

James Young

Probable Starters

PG: Derrick Rose ............................................. SG: Kirk Hinrich

C: Joakim Noah

SF: Nikola Mirotic ............................................. PF: Paul Gasol

Bulls Reserves
Taj Gibson
Doug McDermott
Tony Snell
Cameron Bairstow
E'Twaun Moore

Injuries
Doug McDermott (knee) out
Mike Dunleavy (foot)  out
Jimmy Butler (death in family)  out
Kirk Hinrich (hamstring) probable
Taj Gibson (ankle) probable
Joakim Noah (ankle) probable
Pau Gasol (chest contusion)  probable

Game Notes
The Celtics had to jump on a plane and head to Chicago after the tough loss to Rajon Rondo and the Mavericks.  They need to shake that one off as it doesn't get any easier as they now face Derrick Rose and the Chicago Bulls.

This is the third meeting between these two teams.  The Celtics won the first game 106-101 while the Bulls won the second meeting 109-102, with each team winning on the other's home court.  They will meet one more time in Boston later this month on January 16. 

The Bulls are playing very well while the Celtics have been up and down all season, but especially since trading their Captain to the Mavericks.  Mike Dunleavy missed practice on Friday with a foot injury and is questionable for this one.  4 other Bulls are battling various bumps and bruises but are all listed as probable. 

Key Matchups
vs
Jared Sullinger & Tyler vs Pau Gasol & Joakim Noah
The Bulls have one of the tougher front courts to match up with.  Gasol and Noah are both long and very talented.  Sullinger and Olynyk will have their hands full trying to contain the Bulls big men and will have a tough time getting open shots with Gasol and Noah draped all over them.

Honorable Mention
Avery Bradley vs Jimmy Butler
Butler is playing about as well as anyone in the league.  He is averaging 21.9 points, 6.2 rebounds, 3.3 assists, and 1.58 steals.   Avery will have his hands full trying to slow Butler down but slowing him will be key to getting a win against the Bulls. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - The Bulls are a high scoring team, averaging 102.6 points per game.   The Celtics defense has left much to be desired, allowing 104.2 points per game.   On the other hand, as you would expect from a Tom Thibodeau coached team, the Bulls are allowing only 98.5 points per game.  The Celtics have got to match the Bulls defensive intensity if they expect to win this one. 

Rebound - The Celtics can't score if they don't have the ball.  Rebounding will be tough against Chicago's big front line, but much of rebounding is effort and desire and so the Celtics must put out the extra effort on the boards to give themselves extra possessions as well as to limit the Bulls fast break opportunities and second chance points. 

Limit Turnovers - The Celtics are averaging 15 turnovers per game, which is too many.  They also seem to go through spurts in the game when they lose focus and have a flurry of turnovers.  With 3 new players and getting used to a new point guard, some turnovers are to be expected, but they have to take better care of the ball and also keep their focus better throughout the game if they want to win this one.

Play 48 Minutes
- The Celtics seem to play very well at times, sometimes starting off strong and sometimes finishing strong.  But then at other times, they seem to fade away and can't seem to do anything right.   They have to make an effort to play hard and keep their focus from the starting tip until the final buzzer.

Be Aggressive
- The Celtics must be aggressive on both ends of the court.  They have to be the more aggressive team going for loose balls, on defense, on the boards, and in going to the hoop.   The Celtics will be aggressive at times and then be timid at other times.  They have to be the more aggressive team throughout the game if they want to win this one. 

X-Factor
Back to Back on the Road

The Celtics are playing in back to back games and had to travel after their loss to the Mavericks and so fatigue may be a factor for them down the stretch.   Also, they are on the road where they haven't played all that well this season.  Can they focus and tune out the hostile environment? 

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 04:23:42 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (11-19) at Bulls (23-10) Game #31 1/3/15
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 11:08:28 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Let's bounce back on this game. Hoping for Smart to put up pressure against D-rose and Brooks.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 11:11:35 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP mr. dee for being the first to post in the Game Thread.  Go Celtics!!! 

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 11:48:11 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
cheering for the loss, we need to lose some more for okafor

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 02:32:05 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Does anyone on this blog have the pull to get James Young activated and out on the court? I'll give you ten Tommy Points if you make this happen.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 02:35:32 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
If Chicago wants to play we lose by at least 20 - probably more.  I suppose the good thing about sucking is teams don't get up for playing you so maybe the game will be competitive.

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 02:46:09 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Does anyone on this blog have the pull to get James Young activated and out on the court? I'll give you ten Tommy Points if you make this happen.

Me too, so it is now at 20 tommy points.  Can't hide him in the D-league forever.  Hopefully he gets at least run of a few weeks at some point soon.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 02:55:11 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932

Me too, so it is now at 20 tommy points.  Can't hide him in the D-league forever.  Hopefully he gets at least run of a few weeks at some point soon.

I bet they're waiting for a Green trade before making him a permanent fixture in our roster. Otherwise, there's not really the playing time to justify him missing D League playing time.

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 03:07:11 PM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 03:11:53 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I'm guessing Danny makes some move in January and Young gets some time after that. Smart's not being ready for the PG position really complicates playing time with AB on the roster. Thornton too--his injury is probably going to make it harder to get a taker for his contract too.

I wonder whether Young's ready to deal with 3's, or if they can stick Smart out on some 3's instead. If so, it would be interesting to see Young and Crowder get Green's time once he goes.

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 07:38:19 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Sorry Scal..but that tie kinda sucks...maybe if it had a darker pattern over it.....

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 07:41:34 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......
Zeller will be tested versus gasol......can sully cover noah.....I don't think he can.....he bettr do ONE THING...BOX OUT.....it is his only hope...and the Celtics aren't good at all with that...

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 07:44:05 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......
off topic..I think LeBron james is quitting..again.....he doesn't have knee and back problems....he has heart problems....LOL....FAKERRRRRR...

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 07:50:55 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Lucky me. I thought game started at 2.30 am Gr time, and I came home punting like an old automobile...
(fecking Athenian transport)
We start at 300! HURRAH!

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 07:53:01 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......
At least AB doesn't have to cover Butler..!!!