Author Topic: Mavs (28-10) at Celtics (11-18) Game #30 1/2/15  (Read 71629 times)

Mavs (28-10) at Celtics (11-18) Game #30 1/2/15
« on: January 01, 2015, 09:59:42 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Dallas Mavericks (23-10)  at   Boston Celtics (11-18)
Friday, January 2, 2015
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #30 – Home Game #18
TV: CSN-NE, FSSW, NBA-TV
Radio: 98.5 The Sports Hub, 103.3 FM ESPN
TD Garden

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard

vs
Evan Turner vs Rajon Rondo
(this seems so wrong putting Rondo on the other side)

Shooting Guard
vs
Avery Bradley vs Monta Ellis

Small Forward

vs
Jeff Green vs Chandler Parsons

Power Forward

vs
Jared Sullinger vs Dirk Nowitski

Center

vs
Tyler Zeller  vs Tyson Chandler

Celtics Reserves
Phil Pressey
Evan Turner
Brandon Bass
Kelly Olynyk
Gerald Wallace
Jameer Nelson
Jae Crowder
Brandan Wright
James Young

Injuries

Marcus Thornton (calf) day to day

Mavs Reserves
Devin Harris
ALFarouq Aminu
JJ Barea
Richard Jefferson
Dwight Powell
Greg Smith
Charlie Villanueva
Raymond Felton
Ricky Ledo

Injuries

None

Game Notes
The Celtics welcome Rajon Rondo and the Dallas Mavericks to the Garden for the first time since the trade.  It's bound to be an emotional night, not just for Rondo and his former teammates, but also for Jae Crowder, Brandan Wright and Jameer Nelson, who will also be facing their former team for the first time.

Both of these teams are in 3rd place in their respective conferences.  That speaks volumes as to the strength of each conference.  The Mavs are 10-5 on the road while the Celtics are 8-9 at home.  The Mavs have won their last 3 games while the Celtics are looking for their second straight win after ending a 4 game losing streak. 

I imagine that there will be a video tribute and a standing ovation for Rondo when he is introduced.  These festivities will be a distraction for both teams.  Wright, Nelson and Crowder don't have to worry about returning to Dallas this season as the Celtics have already visited the Mavericks back in November. 

Evan Turner started at the point in the Celtics' last game and after the team's success in that game, it's difficult to picture coach Stevens changing the starters for this game but it's possible that he may switch the lineup once again.  Lost in the Rondo hoopla will be the fact that Dwight Powell will also return to face his former team as well. 

The game was changed from League Pass to NBA-TV right after the trade so, as if things weren't bad enough,  we will get National TV Rondo for this one. 

Key Matchups
vs
Jared Sullinger vs Dirk Nowitski
This will be a tough matchup for Jared in that Dirk is very mobile and can score from both inside and out.  Dirk is averaging 18.7 points, 5.9 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game.  Sully broke out of his mini slump in the last game and hopefully will continue to play well in this one. 

vs
Avery Bradley vs Monta Ellis
Ellis is the Mavs' top scorer at 20.6 points per game.  Avery will need to use his reputation as a defensive stopper to slow him down.  If Avery can't get the job done, perhaps Marcus Smart will get some time guarding him.

Honorable Mention
Evan Turner vs Rajon Rondo
Turner has a size advantage over Rondo, but that's about it.  Even though he will be emotional about his return to the Garden,  Rondo has much to prove to his new team, and perhaps to his former GM.  I expect him to put on a show for the fans and Evan Turner will have to do the best he can to slow him down. 

Keys to the Game
Be Aggressive - The Celtics were the more aggressive team vs the Kings and came away with a blowout.  Hopefully they will retain that information and come out aggressive in this one.  They have to be more aggressive in going for loose balls, on defense, on driving to the basket, and in every aspect of the game.   Their only hope of a win in this game is to be the more aggressive team. 

Rebound - Rebounding is crucial to getting a win. When the Celtics put out the effort to grab rebounds, more often than not, that effort extends to other areas of their game. Rebounding is all in who wants it more and the Celtics have to be the team that wants it more.

Defense
- Defense is always crucial to getting a win. Defense wins games is not just a cliche, it is a fact. The Celtics must play tough team defense especially against high scoring teams like the Mavs who average  a league leading 109.6 points per game.  Neither team has been a defensive juggernaut with the Celtics allowing 103.7 points per game and the Mavs allowing 102.7 points per game.  The team that clamps down on defense will get the win. 

Play 48 Minutes - The Celtics have got to come out strong and play hard from start until finish.  Against a team like the Mavericks, they can't afford to dig themselves into a hole or to allow the Mavs back into the game if they get a lead.  They have to play hard for all 48 minutes.

Take Care of the Ball -   The Celtics have to move the ball and have to set the pace but they also have to limit turnovers.  They seem to lose focus at times and turn the ball over too much.  They have to take care of the ball because the Mavs will make them pay if they turn it over. 

X-Factors
Team Swap and Distractions

There will be distractions for Rondo, Powell, Nelson, Wright and Crowder all playing against their former team after the recent trade.   Whether that makes them play better or worse is the question. 

Re: Mavs (28-10) at Celtics (11-18) Game #30 1/2/15
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 10:07:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Can't wait to see AB and Smart play tough defense on Rondo

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 10:11:45 PM »

Offline Skywalker2.0

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 247

Maybe so, but I think Rondo is going to be extra motivated in his first game against the Celts. Also, tp to FL for another game thread.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 10:17:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Maybe so, but I think Rondo is going to be extra motivated in his first game against the Celts. Also, tp to FL for another game thread.

Why will he be extra motivated?  Danny didn't kick him out of town.  It was best for Rondo and the Celts to go in different directions.

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 10:20:55 PM »

Offline Skywalker2.0

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 247

Why will he be extra motivated?  Danny didn't kick him out of town.  It was best for Rondo and the Celts to go in different directions.

He'll be extra motivated because he wants to show Ainge that he shouldn't have been trade for two bench players and a low pick.

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 10:41:46 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Trick will be to keep the score low. Another Celtic victory cometh!

Goooooo Celtics!!!

And thanks flc
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 10:48:16 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP triboy16f for being the first to post in the Game Thread.  Go Celtics!!!! 

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 10:48:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Trick will be to keep the score low. Another Celtic victory cometh!

Goooooo Celtics!!!

And thanks flc

+1 . If the Celts play the Mavs like they did against the Kings, we will win.  Physical basketball.

Can't wait to see Smart do his thing vs Rondo

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 11:16:22 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
if the game's close let us try the hack-a-rondo theory.lol this game gonne be fun. dirk jr. vs dirk sr.haha

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 11:24:55 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003

I imagine Rondo knows how to play effectively against both of them.  I mean, he's faced AB a ton of times in practice.  As good a defender as Smart is, he's just a rookie who Rondo has already played against in practice as well.

Whether Rondo has a strong game or not remains to be seen, but I doubt we're going to be able to slow a strong offensive team like Dallas down enough to win.

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 12:14:31 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Hey..

Will be wacthing...and sippin...

How hyped would you be if we won....?

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 01:00:02 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Hey..

Will be wacthing...and sippin...

How hyped would you be if we won....?

"Mad hype"

I still feel dumb rooting for victories I just can't help myself

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 06:34:51 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
No clue about the result, but I expect Smartacus to have a MONSTER game.
(And Stevens and Ainge really want the W tonight  ;D)

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 06:42:43 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Mother: You have to wake up early tomorrow.
Me: Mother, we play against HIM.
Mother: HIM?
Me: Yes, HIM.
Mother: Do whatever you like, just try not to shout too much.

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 06:45:24 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
if the game's close let us try the hack-a-rondo theory.lol this game gonne be fun. dirk jr. vs dirk sr.haha

I think Stevens said they wouldn't go that route.