Author Topic: After one game Perry Jones is already a better pick than Fab Melo  (Read 8578 times)

Re: After one game Perry Jones is already a better pick than Fab Melo
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 03:32:17 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Never understood the Melo pick, terrible in college usually means terrible in the NBA

Here is the answer:

22: Fab Melo
23: John Jenkins (bunch of time in D-League, out for all of last season)
24: Jared Cunningham (21 career games in 2 years, although on Clips now)
25: Tony Wroten (he is an ok player for fantasy, although I'm unsure about real life)
26: Miles Plumlee (he is ok)
27: Arnett Moultrie (out of the league)
28: PJ3 (I wanted him when the pick was happening)
29: Marquis Teague (out of the league)
30: Festus Ezeli (he's ok)
31: Jeffery Taylor (he's ok)
32: Tomas Satoransky (out of the league)
33: Bernard James (out of the league)

That is a total crapshoot of a list of players.  I wanted PJ3 at the time, but I feel like I would have given up on him by now.  He didn't do anything the last two years
definitely puts some perspective on it.  I wanted Moultrie over Sully (smh) and PJIII.   I was ok with the Sully pick but worried about his back.  hated the Melo pick right from the get go.  I would have understood Ezeli more than Melo but still been upset PJIII wasn't taken.  I had visions of him being able to play some SF at the time.

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2014, 04:30:09 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I like that there's a why didn't we pick DeAndre Jordan thread and a why did we pick Fab thread.

The thing those picks have in common is that they were players drafted for position instead of the best player available.  They were also win-now picks, where Ainge hoped the players could step in and immediately play 10-15 mpg as a rookie on a contender, even if they were unlikely to develop into role players.

Melo was drafted for position, but he was not a "Win-now" pick.  He was always seen as raw.  The hope was that by the end of the year he might be able to take a few minutes from our tired bigs and provide injury insurance in the playoffs, but that's not really win-now.  My point is that raw bigs are inherently risky, and Fab and DeAndre Jordan easily could have been reversed in terms of who had success.

I think Melo was a win-now pick as the guy who Ainge thought was most likely to be able to provide playoff minutes at the center position.  At the time, I think I wanted to take either Jeff Taylor or Jae Crowder and to get a backup center from the D-League.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2014, 04:50:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I never liked the Melo pick, he was poor college player only Big East homers thought he was going to be any good.

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 05:03:26 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
Fab has provided us with more entertainment in the NBA than PJIII ever will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1jpAqWQmEQ

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2014, 06:41:59 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I like that there's a why didn't we pick DeAndre Jordan thread and a why did we pick Fab thread.

The thing those picks have in common is that they were players drafted for position instead of the best player available.  They were also win-now picks, where Ainge hoped the players could step in and immediately play 10-15 mpg as a rookie on a contender, even if they were unlikely to develop into role players.

Melo was drafted for position, but he was not a "Win-now" pick.  He was always seen as raw.  The hope was that by the end of the year he might be able to take a few minutes from our tired bigs and provide injury insurance in the playoffs, but that's not really win-now.  My point is that raw bigs are inherently risky, and Fab and DeAndre Jordan easily could have been reversed in terms of who had success.

I think Melo was a win-now pick as the guy who Ainge thought was most likely to be able to provide playoff minutes at the center position.  At the time, I think I wanted to take either Jeff Taylor or Jae Crowder and to get a backup center from the D-League.
The opposite is true. Melo was a project. That was the almost unanimous perspective. He was raw. The instant contributor guy was Sullinger, not Melo.

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 07:18:42 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
Before the draft I told my best friend that the one player I hope we don't pick is Fab Melo..and when the 23rd pick came, I had that feeling that Danny was picking him..then BAM!! A lot of ppl knew he would be a bust and just wondering why Danny would select him..cause he is 7 foot tall?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 07:46:27 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Just close your eyes and imagine that, instead, Tyler Zeller fell to us and we never picked Fab Melo at all. Problem solved!

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2014, 07:48:39 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
Before the draft I told my best friend that the one player I hope we don't pick is Fab Melo..and when the 23rd pick came, I had that feeling that Danny was picking him..then BAM!! A lot of ppl knew he would be a bust and just wondering why Danny would select him..cause he is 7 foot tall?

well, 7-footers have potential. and pretty much every player picked after melo was absolute garbage, it's actually pretty amazing... so we were picking from a very low talent pool at that point, and we took a shot on a big guy, considering how the rest of the draft turned out, we really didn't miss out on anything.

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2014, 07:49:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
You can apply for GM

But I wouldn't hold my breath

20 /20 ....life is ruff and then ya die ......move on

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2014, 08:16:54 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
32 pts, 7 reb, and 3 asst against the Clippers.

Why did we take Fab over this guy? He's already done way more than Melo lol ;D

Look guys I know it's one game but I remember draft night I was really upset we didn't take PJIII...he honestly would be great to have in this motion offense right now.

I don't know if I was "really upset" but I was definitely hoping that we took him with that pick. I liked his game and potential even with the injury flags (his back? I forget).

But when we took Fab I wasn't terribly upset at the time. In hindsight I am.
I believe it was his knees and the potential for serious problems loomed large in the minds of some GMs.

Melo was a pick I did not like, but Danny went big as he did with perk, a gamble on size. Since only 25% of the players drafted in the 20s stick in the nba, hard to say he was an unexpected bust.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2014, 08:44:39 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

The opposite is true. Melo was a project. That was the almost unanimous perspective. He was raw. The instant contributor guy was Sullinger, not Melo.

Melo was raw offensively, but I think Ainge went with the center who he thought was most likely to be able to step in and defend at an NBA level by the end of the season.  If that's what Ainge wanted, I'm not sure there was a clearly better option than Melo.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2014, 09:17:58 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
Jones with another big game.

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2014, 09:41:51 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Look guys I know it's one game but I remember draft night I was really upset we didn't take PJIII...he honestly would be great to have in this motion offense right now.
Fab Melo was a bad bad choice.
We all know this now.
It's not only Perry Jones, we could have taken  Wroten ot Plumlee. Even Tomáš Satoranský looks like an intriguing prospect by comparison to Melo (in retrospect of course).

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2014, 09:47:45 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Fab Melo was a bad bad choice.
We all know this now.
It's not only Perry Jones, we could have taken  Wroten ot Plumlee. Even Tomáš Satoranský looks like an intriguing prospect by comparison to Melo (in retrospect of course).
the risk and reward are different for those two positions. finding a quality center is much more difficult, hence teams need to take greater chances to find quality centers. and as a result, there are more noticeable failures, our very own fab being one case in point.

it really does seem to be hit or miss for centers, with the majority being misses. there have been a ton of lottery busts, yet there have been high quality 5's such as DeAndre, M.Gasol, Okur, and Gortat found in the second round...meaning every GM passed on them at least once for whatever reason.

fab was a miss and i did not like the pick, but i understand ainge swinging for the fences when he already had sully in hand.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2014, 09:58:25 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Ainge vindicated for not drafting DeAndre Jordan?

"See what happens when I draft a project center??"

;)