Author Topic: INSTANT REPLAY?  (Read 788 times)

INSTANT REPLAY?
« on: October 19, 2014, 03:38:00 AM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
Saw this on ESPN and didn't notice anything posted here about it.  I like  instant replay in the NFL and would love to see them get the calls correct in the NBA but don't know if officials could do it right without turning game into a 4 hour fiasco.  any thoughts on this???

link below.......

NEW YORK -- The NBA Board of Governors has approved several modifications to the league's instant replay system.

The most notable change announced Thursday night allows officials to use replay only in the last two minutes of overtime. Last year, instant replay was available for use in the entire overtime period.

Referees can also now review plays to determine if a clear-path foul is warranted even if they did not initially call a clear-path foul. Previously a clear-path foul had to be called for the play to be eligible for review.

Referees also will be able to use replay to determine if a foul merits being upgraded to a flagrant foul. Last season, they could only use replay if a flagrant foul was called on the floor.

Re: INSTANT REPLAY?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 03:58:17 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
What they really need is a replay ref -- a head ref, off the floor, who can make decisions that the guys on the floor have to abide by without deliberation.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 04:06:08 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Bad calls are part of the game.
F instant replay.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 08:32:53 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
F instant replay.
YES!

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 08:56:31 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
What they really need is a replay ref -- a head ref, off the floor, who can make decisions that the guys on the floor have to abide by without deliberation.
I will never be an advocate for more refs...ever.

what they should do is take 2 of the on floor officials off the court and make 1 of them the replay official and the other the head official off court.

less on court refs is the way to go. no more of this crap where the guy on the other side of the court who has no way view of the play making the call. that crap has to go. till it does i'll assume the NBA officials are corrupt. 

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 09:13:43 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
F instant replay.

no doubt, I expect bad calls, no one's perfect. I don't mind instant replay being used in like buzzer beater situations, maybe final second  plays. but basketball is better when there is a flow and less stops. i'd rather just go with out it though when they turn it into a 10 min. discussion.

but these officials specifically should be a helluva lot better than what they are. they're the only full time officiating crew in all the major sports.

the way they distribute responsibilities between the 4 refs on the floor is laughable. at any given moment a ref with the best view of a foul or non foul might not blow the whistle simply because it's not his responsibility.

this is why we see refs with no view of the actual play calling fouls because it's his "responsibility" - so they're basically guessing.

should full-time officials be guessing? can't they be better than that? shouldn't we expect a lot more out of them?