Author Topic: Eastern Conference Predictions  (Read 6169 times)

Eastern Conference Predictions
« on: October 19, 2014, 01:47:56 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Here's my attempt at the East:

Playoffs:

Cleveland
Chicago
Washington
Toronto
Miami
Atlanta
Brooklyn
Boston

Out:

Charlotte
Detroit
New York
Indiana

Milwaukee
Orlando
Philadelphia

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Re: Eastern Conference Predictions
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 02:08:25 AM »

Offline Blaze4G

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Playoffs:

Cleveland
Chicago
Washington
Toronto
Miami
Charlotte
Atlanta
Brooklyn

Out:

Detroit
New York
Indiana
Boston
Milwaukee
Orlando
Philadelphia

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 02:20:23 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I have Chicago as #1 seed with Cleveland in 2nd place. Title contenders.

Next tier down - long way down - I have Washington, Toronto, Atlanta, Miami. Charlotte should be pretty secure with a playoff spot in 7th place with Lance Stephenson joining the team (I would have bet on them taking a step back otherwise).

Philadelphia far and away the worst team in the league. Orlando should be 2nd worst. Next tier up has New York  and Milwaukee. Not impressed with early signs from Knicks in preseason. Doesn't look like that team will come together. Milwaukee very young and unbalanced. Milwaukee 3rd worst and Knicks 4th worst.

That leaves Indiana, Brooklyn, Detroit and Boston competing for 8th playoff spot to 11th place in East. Indiana is interesting. They had a great defensive team last year and could be able to retain large portion of defense. One of those all defense / no offense teams that can go .500. Brooklyn has most star power but inefficiency with bad balance. One of those teams that could be less than sum of all of their parts unlike Indiana who look like one of those teams that can overachieve relative to their talent. Detroit a big question mark. A lot will depend on whether Andre Drummond has a breakout year or not. Boston have questionable starting unit but excellent depth. I am leaning towards Indy and Brooklyn competing for 8th and 9th place respectively with Boston 10th and Detroit 11th rounding out the pack a bit behind them.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 02:41:09 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
My prediction

Playoffs:

Cleveland
Toronto
Washington
Chicago
Charlotte
Atlanta
Boston
New York

Out:

Miami - Dwade will be out half the year.  Bosh will be hurting trying to do more.
Indiana - PG loss will be big. LS loss bigger than expected.  RH cannot carry the team (will be traded)
Detroit
Milwaukee
Orlando
Philadelphia

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Celts will make the playoffs.  Win a ton of games at home and lose games away.   
-Marcus Smart will make an impact on the defensive end
-James young will help the team out on the offensive end
-Zeller/KO improve our front court defense vs last seasons front court. Zeller excels in PNR , KO  is one of the better 3 pt shooting and passing pf's in the league
-Marcus Thornton is in the top 5 for 6th man of the year award

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 02:56:32 AM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Cleveland
Chicago
Toronto
Atlanta
Washington
Miami
Brooklyn
Charlotte

Notes: I disagree that Love will get the Bosh treatment alongside LeBron. Don't sleep on Toronto, a team with great depth and lots of internal improvement potential. The addition of Pierce's leadership is huge for Washington, but so is their loss of Ariza's defense. Miami's depth is concerning, and the fortunes of that team as well as Brooklyn's are heavily dependent on health. Stephenson was a splashy acquisition by Charlotte, but I'm curious seeing how his ball-dominant tendencies are incorporated into an offense dominated with Kemba and Big Al; what's for sure is that Williams cannot fill McRoberts' shoes.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:50:39 PM by rondoallaturca »

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 04:28:35 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Here's my attempt at the East:

Playoffs:

Cleveland
Chicago
Washington
Toronto
Miami
Atlanta
Brooklyn
Boston

Out:

Charlotte
Detroit
New York
Indiana

Milwaukee
Orlando
Philadelphia

I agree with this list. I kind get a bad feeling about the Bulls like Gasol, Butler and Rose are all going to miss games. Just a feeling..

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 08:10:43 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Chicago, Cleveland, Miami, Washington, Toronto are in.
Atlanta and Brooklyn are probably in.
Detroit, Charlotte, Indiana, NYK could make it.
Philly, Orlando, Boston, Milwaukee are out. 

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 08:38:11 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Chicago
Cavs
Wizards
Toronto
Charlotte
Miami
Atlanta
Detroit

Brooklyn
Indiana*
NYK*
Boston*
Orlando*
Bucks
Magic

The four teams with the * could finish anywhere in that 10th to 13th spot in the East.

As for us?
Ainge appears happy to let our young guys 'develop' this season while doing as much schmoozing with Rondo as he can to get him to stay. (Or is he doing that so everyone *thinks* he wants him to stay, in order to increase Rondo's trade value? Okay probably not.)

Smart will be okay and will make the rotation as a defensive stopper. He's already been told to let it rain three point shots so I can't see that stopping- similarly to last season when Sully had the green light to throw anything up behind the arc- the results were bad on the scoreboard, but the 'development' was good.

Sullinger's going to have a big year. Something like 16 points, 10 rebounds a game and 35% from three point land.

Olynyk will do okay and get something like 9 points, 7 rebounds a game.

Rondo will be good for 14 points, 5 rebounds and 10 assists per game and Avery Bradley will put up something like 14 ppg, 4 assists, 2 steals per outing.

Jeff Green will be good old uncle Jeff. Missing so many easy shots and retaining his stinker FG% at around 40% while his three point shot is as consistent as his overall play- a roller coaster ride. 15 ppg, 6 rebounds, 3 assists.

Tyler Zeller will be a solid big man off the bench and may start depending on who we play.

James Young will get 6-10 minutes a game but probably spend a bit of time with the Claws.

Evan Turner will get on everyone's nerves for winning us hard games with his hot streaks and losing us easy games with his vomit sessions- I guess they figure if they can put Turner and Green on the court at the same time then the odds are that one of them will have an okay night when the other one stinks.

In summary, this team isn't making the playoffs with this current roster. Danny doesn't want this team to make the playoffs either- he would have gotten us a center of some kind if he did.
He'd prefer to showcase Olynyk and Sullinger and hopefully their value goes up enough that we get some interested GM's when the time comes to trade for a top 20 player to join Rondo.
That's probably what he's told Rondo and it's probably why Rondo will do all he can to make Olynyk, Turner and Zeller in particular look as good as possible when he's on the court with them.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 11:58:27 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Washington
Cleveland
Miami
Chicago
Brooklyn
Toronto
Indiana
Boston
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 12:10:19 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
playoffs:
Cavs
Bulls [favorites for #1 seed if they stay healthy - if]
Wiz [rooting for PP]
Heat
Raps
Hawks
Charlotte
Nets [could be as good as the 5 seed or as bad as 11th]

lotto:
Detroit [they have a real shot at the playoffs]
Knicks [Melo was dumb to re-sign]
C's [will be very mediocre]
Bucks
Indy [this team has no grit.]
Magic
Philly [over-under 10 wins?]

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:22:27 PM by loco_91 »

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 12:33:24 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
This is how I'm currently seeing it.

Chicago
Cleveland
Washington
Miami
Toronto
Charlotte
Boston
Detroit

Brooklyn
Atlanta
New York
Milwaukee
Indiana
Orlando
Philadelphia

Chicago I see as prepped to be a strong team on both sides of the floor and Rose seems to be looking good.

Toronto, I've honestly been underestimating this team. There's a side of me that is still insisting that what they showed last year was fool's gold, but I've been impressed so far this season on their ability to make shots, particularly tough ones, that has me reevaluating.

Charlotte, really worried about their depth situation. They're very thin with their bigs. If I were them I'd make a play to acquire Bass and solidify their depth situation. So while they should be very good while healthy, they have very little margin for error.

Boston, I really like our roster, too bad we're missing the legit reliable center still. But I think our depth will help a lot, particularly since our margin for remaining at their level of play has a big margin for error due to this. I'm really counting on our perimeter defense, particularly if the coach decides to press on defense. We have the depth to do it and the defenders to do it. And the X-Factor of Rondo, who no one (either optimists or pessimists) knows how he'll come to play. Early signs, injury aside, seem promising to me.

Detroit is my surprise for the last spot. I have a feeling that this year they'll put it together a bit. They have plenty of talent on that team for them not to make it work somehow, and Pope seems like he's made great strides to become a dangerous and reliable scorer... who's injured now of course.

Atlanta, I just don't like their roster at all. I'm still scratching my head on how they made the playoffs last year. I like Horford, still a major injury concern.

Brooklyn, worse roster than last year and still have their injury concerns. Maybe the new coach will put them to work more effectively, but 2 coaches in 2 years doesn't necessarily make it for a smooth transition. I honestly don't know what to make of them. They have talent, they have severe issues despite of that. Wouldn't surprise me if they're at the top of the conference, wouldn't surprise me if they're at the bottom.

Indiana - I don't see it. Don't like their roster, I think they're on a downward spiral, the loss of Stephenson is going to be felt, and the injury of Paul George will keep them out of the picture. Without George or Stephenson I don't see their defense being up to task, which was their main weapon.

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 12:36:19 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Cavs
Bulls
Charlotte
Raps
Heat
Hawks
Washington
Brooklyn

I guess if I had to say I had one opinion that differed from most NBA fans, it's that the Wiz aren't going to have as good a season as anticipated. They replaced Ariza with a 37-year old Pierce, and added Humphries? Nene is injury prone, Beal's already hurt, Porter unproven etc. I just don't get why most think they made some substantial leap in the offseason.

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 04:09:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
My two big concerns about the Brooklyn Nets was the SG and PF positions.

Who started on perimeter alongside Deron & JJ and who can give them reliable production at PF position. The center position is strong with Lopez, KG and Plumlee. Deron and Jack give strong guard production. JJ talented wing. But where is the rest coming from? Who can they rely on as starting SG, PF, backup SF and backup PF?

.... But after seeing some of Bogdanovic in this preseason game, he has gone a long way to easing some of my worries on the wing. Rookie player + foreign player adapting to new country, new league and faster more athletic style of play + scout reports I read where questioning his defense and quickness at NBA level. Seemed dodgy to be depending so much on him as valuable contributor (important role player, glue guy). But he looked really solid in that first half against Boston. Looks like he is going to pan out and contribute right away for the Nets and help solve some of those issues on the wing.

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 05:28:57 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
1. Chicago
2. Cleveland
3. Washington
4. Toronto
5. Charlotte
6. Miami
7. Atlanta