Author Topic: Joel Anthony to Pistons for Will Bynum  (Read 14235 times)

Re: Joel Anthony to Pistons for Will Bynum
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2014, 02:31:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Hope Will didn't house or apartment hunt...Looks like "He Gone":

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/10/18/celtics-likely-waive-will-bynum/nPSsKzckjaiCkRa4Qltl1J/story.html

Thanks I was wondering what the plan was.  TP for you.

Who lasted longer Wil Bynum or Wil Solomon?
Yup

« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2014, 06:07:03 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Doesn't look like Bynum is going to stick around for very long.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/report-celtics-likely-waive-newly-acquired-bynum

« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2014, 06:58:48 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/report-celtics-likely-waive-newly-acquired-bynum
Sure, the whole point of the trade was to keep Powell. Otherwise it makes no sense at all.
Smart and Young, Sullynyk, and Powell are our core of young players. No-one knows how good they will become (IMHO only Smart and Young have potential to reach All-Star level) but my guess is we ll keep them for several years, and build around them. This means a couple of more years at the league's bottom, but a well-designed team of young players that was from the start supervised from Stevens would be a real reward.
PS I do not think that Zeller is part of our long term plans. I hope he proves me wrong, but other than a slightly above average rim protector I see little more in him.

« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2014, 07:10:53 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
This makes me VERY angry!!!!  Clearly we are NOT trying to win this year and that disgusts me.  Bynum had a 14.40 PER last year (around the NBA average).  He probably had one of the top three PER's of all back up PG's in the league.  And we are going to cut him in favor of keeping Pressey and/or  Powell (who has shown NOTHING)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember sitting in chairs on the floor watching the Roanoke Dazzle play the Fayetteville Patriots in Fayetteville with my son and being so very impressed with his play.  He was the NBADL Rookie of the Year in 2004/2005!!!!

Nice to save $900,000, but I would have at least played him once he got healthy to showcase him for a trade.  Better yet, I would have KEPT him.

Smitty77

« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2014, 07:22:21 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
This makes me VERY angry!!!!  Clearly we are NOT trying to win this year and that disgusts me.  Bynum had a 14.40 PER last year (around the NBA average).  He probably had one of the top three PER's of all back up PG's in the league.  And we are going to cut him in favor of keeping Pressey and/or  Powell (who has shown NOTHING)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember sitting in chairs on the floor watching the Roanoke Dazzle play the Fayetteville Patriots in Fayetteville with my son and being so very impressed with his play.  He was the NBADL Rookie of the Year in 2004/2005!!!!

Nice to save $900,000, but I would have at least played him once he got healthy to showcase him for a trade.  Better yet, I would have KEPT him.

Smitty77

Didn't Ainge bring "Bynumite" lol to camp in 2005 or something?  I know I asked this question once before and I believe the answer was yes, but, anyway, how would he fit on this team?  We simply have way too many guards.  I don't think acquiring him just to save 900K is worth it, quite honestly, but at least his contract is an expiring, so, yay?  Lol, I really have no clue what Ainge is doing or even trying to do with these pointless moves.

Edit: Yep -

Transactions
August 19, 2005: Signed as a free agent with the Boston Celtics.

October 25, 2005: Waived by the Boston Celtics.

March 17, 2006: Signed a 10-day contract with the Golden State Warriors, then signed a contract for the rest of the season.

April 17, 2006: Signed as a free agent with the Golden State Warriors.

July 30, 2008: Signed as a free agent with the Detroit Pistons.

July 15, 2013: Signed as a free agent with the Detroit Pistons.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bynumwi01.html

Interestingly, I think he's probably the only guy besides Antonio Mcdyess who played really well against the Cavs in that 2009 1st round series.  11.8 ppg in 19.5 minutes?  That's awesome, and at an excellent percentage, as well.  Shucks ;D

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 07:32:52 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2014, 07:32:15 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Sure, the whole point of the trade was to keep Powell. Otherwise it makes no sense at all.
Smart and Young, Sullynyk, and Powell are our core of young players. No-one knows how good they will become (IMHO only Smart and Young have potential to reach All-Star level) but my guess is we ll keep them for several years, and build around them. This means a couple of more years at the league's bottom, but a well-designed team of young players that was from the start supervised from Stevens would be a real reward.
PS I do not think that Zeller is part of our long term plans. I hope he proves me wrong, but other than a slightly above average rim protector I see little more in him.

How is Powell a member of our core moving forward?  Has he even made the team yet, haha?  I mean, sure, I like his defensive potential, but does he bring any other skill to our team?  I've only seen a few minutes of him in garbage time against the Knicks in that Hartford game, so I'm not exactly the best judge here lol.

« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2014, 07:35:38 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
This is simply a way to reduce the Celtics' obligations by $900,000.  This gives them more flexibility in future trades, as they are now further under the luxury tax.  They can now take on about $2 million more than they send out, and use that space either to improve the team for this year or when taking back contracts while trading away players like Bass, Green, or Thornton if that makes more sense.  I'd probably keep Bynum over Pressey for purely basketball reasons, but it doesn't matter to me one way or the other really.  I do think this greatly increases Powell's chance of making the team, since it's one less player in the frontcourt.

From a financial standpoint it also makes more sense to hold Bynum, who you can trade at a future point if you need more financial relief than eating his contract vs. just eating Pressey's or Powell's.

It actually makes more sense, financially, to use the stretch provision on Bynum and keep Pressey. It'd open up an additional $2 million to play with under the tax line this season (essentially doubling their current breathing room) and, with the way the cap's set to jump up the next two years, carrying less than a million a season extra over that time period isn't really problematic.

« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2014, 08:07:07 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I don't understand: if the Celtics are going to waive Bynum anyways, why make him come to Boston to meet with Ainge and have him take a physical? Celtics can just waive the physical, and cut him loose.

Holding out hope that Bynum sticks around, even if it's just to be dealt in a follow-up move. It seems unlike Ainge not to get the most out of a trade asset. Bynum has value.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2014, 08:20:39 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
They are not necessarily going to waive him.  They are likely to waive him if they don't make another move before the season starts but, Ainge being Ainge, there is a decent chance the Celtics make another trade that may clear up a roster spot.

Since there is a chance Bynym sticks around if another deal is made, the Celtics should do their due diligence and have him come to Boston and take a physical.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2014, 08:34:24 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
How is Powell a member of our core moving forward?  Has he even made the team yet, haha?  I mean, sure, I like his defensive potential, but does he bring any other skill to our team?  I've only seen a few minutes of him in garbage time against the Knicks in that Hartford game, so I'm not exactly the best judge here lol.
I know, I know. Watching Powell play gives me the giggles too. But, it looks like he's here to stay.

« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2014, 08:40:25 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
They are not necessarily going to waive him.  They are likely to waive him if they don't make another move before the season starts but, Ainge being Ainge, there is a decent chance the Celtics make another trade that may clear up a roster spot.

Since there is a chance Bynym sticks around if another deal is made, the Celtics should do their due diligence and have him come to Boston and take a physical.

I guess I somehow interpreted Washburn's article as saying that they would waive Bynum immediately.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague