Author Topic: Joel Anthony to Pistons for Will Bynum  (Read 14267 times)

Re: Joel Anthony to Pistons for Will Bynum
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2014, 03:41:47 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
For those who like Simmons (I do!):

http://nesn.com/2014/10/bill-simmons-predicts-celtics-will-trade-rajon-rondo-to-knicks-this-season/

Boy, I sure Simmon's trade doesn't go down. It would spell disaster for this season and next. Only good thing about it is we would've gotten rid of Wallace's deal.

« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2014, 03:45:16 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
What are the specifics of the trade? I'd probably do it for shumpert and a first if we could get rid of the decaying corpse of Wallace.

« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2014, 03:47:24 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
What are the specifics of the trade? I'd probably do it for shumpert and a first if we could get rid of the decaying corpse of Wallace.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=73836.0
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2014, 03:48:09 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I love Will Bynum as backup to Rondo.

Exactly the type of playmaking PG who can operate in low minutes and provide ample dribble penetration that I felt this team needed behind Rondo. Especially due to lack of dribble penetration provided by wing players which forced too much pressure on PGs to provide creativity which is fine when Rondo was on the floor but disastrous when Rondo wasn't.

Unfortunately though, with Avery Bradley re-signed (starting SG) and Marcus Smart added to the team (backup PG/SG), there isn't a regular rotation job available for Will Bynum to play. Rotation already full and makes no sense trying to force him in alongside Bradley and Smart. Will hurt team more than help it. Waited so long for Ainge to get backup PG for Rondo and now that Will Bynum is here there is no (substantial) role for him to play. Consigned to a 3rd string PG role.

No point in keeping Phil Pressey. No need for him on roster. Should be waived and open roster spot should be given to a new 3rd string center. Someone like Thabeet would have been very interesting. Pity Detroit signed him. Although if they were this hot for Joel Anthony maybe Thabeet isn't working out over there. Not that that is a good sign. Any other interesting 3rd string centers out there still looking for an NBA team?

« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2014, 04:02:53 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This is simply a way to reduce the Celtics' obligations by $900,000.  This gives them more flexibility in future trades, as they are now further under the luxury tax.  They can now take on about $2 million more than they send out, and use that space either to improve the team for this year or when taking back contracts while trading away players like Bass, Green, or Thornton if that makes more sense.  I'd probably keep Bynum over Pressey for purely basketball reasons, but it doesn't matter to me one way or the other really.  I do think this greatly increases Powell's chance of making the team, since it's one less player in the frontcourt.

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2014, 04:10:51 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
This is simply a way to reduce the Celtics' obligations by $900,000.  This gives them more flexibility in future trades, as they are now further under the luxury tax.  They can now take on about $2 million more than they send out, and use that space either to improve the team for this year or when taking back contracts while trading away players like Bass, Green, or Thornton if that makes more sense.  I'd probably keep Bynum over Pressey for purely basketball reasons, but it doesn't matter to me one way or the other really.  I do think this greatly increases Powell's chance of making the team, since it's one less player in the frontcourt.

From a financial standpoint it also makes more sense to hold Bynum, who you can trade at a future point if you need more financial relief than eating his contract vs. just eating Pressey's or Powell's.

« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2014, 04:27:28 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

From a financial standpoint it also makes more sense to hold Bynum, who you can trade at a future point if you need more financial relief than eating his contract vs. just eating Pressey's or Powell's.
agree, more than a few teams could use bynum as a backup, not many teams would probably have interest in trading for pressey

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2014, 04:34:42 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Welcome back Wil
Yup

« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2014, 04:38:59 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Welcome back Wil

I missed him as well!

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2014, 07:49:12 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
Count me as one who would not like to see Pressey moved or cut.   

I thought he has been playing great this preseason.  (Can't say the same for his Summer League performance as he was in perpetual jacking-up-threes mode.)   

So far, he's turned up his defense about 20% over last year.  He's been a very pesky defender.  One can tell he makes opponents uncomfortable and disrupts what they would like to do.  He's like a mosquito who won't leave you alone.  It's been great watching his effort.  Wish he could inspire Powell to follow suit.

In a couple of the games the Cetlic's offense ran better with him in the lineup. (I don't know his plus/minus numbers.) Yes, I know Turner may be the better shooter.  But, he doesn't have the same court savvy.  Even Tommy mentioned that he thought Pressey turned the corner this year with his brand of play.

After reading about this trade my initial thought was that Bynum would be cut because he is injury plagued.  Now, I'm not sure what Danny might do with the final roster spots.

« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2014, 07:58:42 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2014, 10:44:46 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Look for Danny to ship out the other players that don't have good hands and aren't good passersJ

Joel Anthony didn't get playing time because he isn't a motion type of player.  He shouldn't touch a basketball unless it's for a block or rebound.

Stark contrast to guys like KO and Sully, even Zeller, our new top-3 rotation bigs.

Totally a financial/flexibility move, though.

« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2014, 01:38:13 PM »

Offline nacceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2014, 02:28:11 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Hope Will didn't house or apartment hunt...Looks like "He Gone":

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/10/18/celtics-likely-waive-will-bynum/nPSsKzckjaiCkRa4Qltl1J/story.html

Thanks I was wondering what the plan was.  TP for you.