Poll

Are we tanking this season?

Yes
41 (44.1%)
No
52 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Are we tanking this year?  (Read 38695 times)

Re: Are we tanking this year?
« Reply #135 on: October 20, 2014, 12:05:54 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Lakers will out tank out this year and it will be painful to watch. Call me crazy but seeing young players that will in all likelyhood not be on this team for the next championship run score some points and beat teams like the Jazz and Sixers makes me angry. Now if Jared Sullinger becomes a 20/10 David West in his prime type of player so be it but I doubt that will happen

Also I wish it wasn't like this but Basketball is unlike all other sports in that you NEED to have transcendent players to win championships. In football, teams dont tank. In baseball, teams dont tank. In hockey teams dont tank. In the NBA? Yes

« Reply #136 on: October 20, 2014, 12:09:45 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Do the Lakers have a draft pick this year?

« Reply #137 on: October 20, 2014, 12:10:56 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Lakers will out tank out this year and it will be painful to watch. Call me crazy but seeing young players that will in all likelyhood not be on this team for the next championship run score some points and beat teams like the Jazz and Sixers makes me angry. Now if Jared Sullinger becomes a 20/10 David West in his prime type of player so be it but I doubt that will happen

Also I wish it wasn't like this but Basketball is unlike all other sports in that you NEED to have transcendent players to win championships. In football, teams dont tank. In baseball, teams dont tank. In hockey teams dont tank. In the NBA? Yes

What about the Jazz and Sixers that makes you angry?

« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2014, 12:16:16 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell

The fact that their GM's are and are going to be doing a better franchise reboot than ours. I envy Sixers fans as they have Embiid, MCW, Noel, and next year at this time, another elite top 5 prospect on their roster. Law of averages says at least one of them will become an allstar and there you go, that's how you build a team. Beating them contributes to us being a middling team, and helps them with their cause.

« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2014, 12:17:52 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell

It's top 5 protected and I am sure the Lakers GM will do everything in his power to assure they get a top 5 pick by tanking and trading players other than Kobe.

« Reply #140 on: October 20, 2014, 12:23:52 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

The fact that their GM's are and are going to be doing a better franchise reboot than ours. I envy Sixers fans as they have Embiid, MCW, Noel, and next year at this time, another elite top 5 prospect on their roster. Law of averages says at least one of them will become an allstar and there you go, that's how you build a team. Beating them contributes to us being a middling team, and helps them with their cause.
Aren't the lottery odds far more even now. I thought it was a 1% difference between each pick. Like 1 is 14, 2 is 13, ect. If so being 8th vs 1st is a small difference.

« Reply #141 on: October 20, 2014, 06:13:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Lakers will out tank out this year and it will be painful to watch.

Not for me, I hate LA, I won't be watching as long as we beat them during the season I will be happy but then I am a Celtics Fan.

« Reply #142 on: October 20, 2014, 09:22:19 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

It's top 5 protected and I am sure the Lakers GM will do everything in his power to assure they get a top 5 pick by tanking and trading players other than Kobe.

Who exactly would they trade? It's not like they are sitting on assets galore.

« Reply #143 on: October 20, 2014, 10:23:29 AM »

Offline Celtics-Royals-Chiefs

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
didnt take the time to read your whole post, but my answer is - yes. Rondo will be traded and we will be anywhere from 20-25 wins. At least i hope this is what happens  :)
Celtics 2015 tank open for business, boys

« Reply #144 on: October 20, 2014, 10:24:20 AM »

Offline Celtics-Royals-Chiefs

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1

Lol they're def not tanking, they just suck donkey balls bro
Celtics 2015 tank open for business, boys

« Reply #145 on: October 20, 2014, 03:17:38 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

IMHO Kobe is going to have a media explosion at some point during the regular season targeting the ownership or teammates or the coaching staff or all of the above.
And I certainly do not expect Scott to finish the year in LAL. This might very well be Scott's last year as a pro-coach, the only reason they hired him is that his reputation was already so low, they can easily use him as a scapegoat when necessary.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 04:18:27 PM by greece666 »

« Reply #146 on: October 21, 2014, 02:23:54 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

IMHO Kobe is going to have a media explosion at some point during the regular season targeting the ownership or teammates or the coaching staff or all of the above.
And I certainly do not expect Scott to finish the year in LAL. This might very well be Scott's last year as a pro-coach, the only reason they hired him is that his reputation was already so low, they can easily use him as a scapegoat when necessary.

Nah, I think everyone in LA knows they aren't very good.  Kobe included. 

Thing is, in Socal, they don't care.  It's about the show, the spectacle of it all.  Watching Kobe hit long range fadeaway j's is worth the price of admission.  Laker fans are resigned to scuttling the ship with Kobe at the helm.  They love the guy, he entertains them.

« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2014, 02:32:33 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

Nah, I think everyone in LA knows they aren't very good.  Kobe included. 

Thing is, in Socal, they don't care.  It's about the show, the spectacle of it all.  Watching Kobe hit long range fadeaway j's is worth the price of admission.  Laker fans are resigned to scuttling the ship with Kobe at the helm.  They love the guy, he entertains them.
You are right about the fans and the ownership (and there is the protected pick story that offers them an extra stimulus to focus on entertainment rather than winning).
Methinks you are wrong about Kobe. He hates losing. He will hate playing in a bottom-5 team and I think it will not go unnoticed.

« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2014, 04:50:33 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Hmmm, given the recent news on the draft reform, it is time to have a fresh look on this conversation. It does change a lot of things + we (of course) voted in favour of the reform.
I feel like we are Wile E. Coyote to Hinkie's Road Runner.

« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2014, 08:25:47 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
if we win too many games to tank because Marcus Smart looks like a legit star in the making and Sullinger has taken the next step, then I am Perfectly fine with that because it means we have players for the future