Poll

Are we tanking this season?

Yes
41 (44.1%)
No
52 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Are we tanking this year?  (Read 38923 times)

Re: Are we tanking this year?
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2014, 05:47:37 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'd like an example of a major free agent, please.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2014, 05:54:51 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'd like an example of a major free agent, please.

That's the biggest issue, if anything.

« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2014, 06:13:02 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The best way to win championships is to have Gold Medal Superstar players.  The best way to get those is through the draft.

The first part of this statement I agree with, you absolutely need at least one top level superstar to win a title, except for the rarest of occasions.

The second part of this statement has been proven factually inaccurate, as NBA history is littered with superstars who have won titles (in their primes) for teams other than for whom they were drafted by.

Draft matters
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2014, 06:27:55 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
1) As pointed out earlier, good FAs rarely come to Boston.
2) Yes, some players do change teams. And there is a good chance we might get a good player in a trade- just like with did with KG.
But:
i.Draft is by far the cheapest way.
ii. There are many all-star level players who stayed with their teams for ever. Not just for the money but also out of loyalty. Nowitzki, MJ, Bird, Magic Johnson, Stockton, most of the SAS roster, and the list can go on...
The point is not that draft is the one and only way to build a contender. But that it is one of the best weapons Boston has in the present situation.
If we were talking about LAL or Miami it would be a very different story...

« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2014, 07:05:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Oh my God!!! This crap again. Its going to be a ridiculously long season on Celticsblog again I see.

Instead of just all typing the same old arguments about tanking and not tanking, about being able to land free agents and if we have ever had the opportunity to land free agents and about whether the draft is the only way to get a certified superstar to this team, maybe the mods should just cut and paste all these arguments from all last season's threads that did these things and we can all move onto something more productive, like watching the 8 million youtube and draftexpress videos that are going to be posted of 18 year olds that might be in next year's draft.

You know what? Nevermind. Maybe its just time to take a break from Celticsblog.

« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2014, 07:08:02 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Tanking is the only way a star player comes to Boston.

Completely and utterly wrong.  You might as well tell me that Mike Brown is an awesome coach.

If you added *And trades* to his statement I agree with it. No major free agent will ever sign with Boston.

How do you know that?

« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2014, 07:09:16 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
. . . and, it begins anew.

For me, personally, the worst part of being a Celtics fan last year was not the product on the court, but the blatant rooting for losses by a large contingent of the fan base.

Frankly, I found it distasteful, and will continue to find it distasteful this season.  I don't mean to tell anyone how to root for their favorite team, but I just wanted to share my thoughts on the matter.

Like last year, I'll be here to root for my team to win games throughout the season.  I expect bumps, but my commitment to wanting to see the Celtics win every time they play won't waiver.

And, while I may be setting myself up for disappointment, I fully expect this year's team to win considerably more games than last year's squad.

You would think, that after the number of times the C's have deliberately decided to suck, throw away whole seasons, and still ended up p---ed off on lotto night that people would be more interested in trying to actually win some games and get better, organically. 

Nope.  "We didn't tank hard enough last year!!!!"  Well, what the **** good would THAT have done us?

Oh I dont know, maybe land us a future allstar instead of another PG who cannot shoot?

One more loss and we would of had Dante Exum who is an infinitely better prospect than Smart.   And if we had the worst record we would of had one of Wiggins/Parker/Embiid with basically a 100% probability. So yes...we didnt tank hard enough.

Dante Exum is no better of a shooter than Smart, yet Exum is labeled as a future All-Star?

« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2014, 07:13:50 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Oh my God!!! This crap again. Its going to be a ridiculously long season on Celticsblog again I see.

Instead of just all typing the same old arguments about tanking and not tanking, about being able to land free agents and if we have ever had the opportunity to land free agents and about whether the draft is the only way to get a certified superstar to this team, maybe the mods should just cut and paste all these arguments from all last season's threads that did these things and we can all move onto something more productive, like watching the 8 million youtube and draftexpress videos that are going to be posted of 18 year olds that might be inw next year's draft.

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!

TP

« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2014, 07:20:57 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

Instead of just all typing the same old arguments about tanking and not tanking, about being able to land free agents and if we have ever had the opportunity to land free agents and about whether the draft is the only way to get a certified superstar to this team, maybe the mods should just cut and paste all these arguments from all last season's threads that did these things and we can all move onto something more productive, like watching the 8 million youtube and draftexpress videos that are going to be posted of 18 year olds that might be in next year's draft.
OMG!!! A PERSON WHO HAS A LIFE IN THE CELTICSBLOG?!? WHAT THE F***?!?
NEVER MIND YOU CAN ALWAYS PLAY WARCRAFT INSTEAD!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oALUNqVWQoQ

« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2014, 07:25:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Check my post stats.....you will find I do not in fact have a life. ;D

« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2014, 07:33:21 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

Check my post stats.....you will find I do not in fact have a life. ;D
It is 2.30 am over here, and I spend the night discussing Phil Pressey's career prospects with unknown people on the wrong side of the Atlantic.
I am clearly far beyond the realm of normality- let alone having a life...

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2014, 03:38:10 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Completely and utterly wrong.  You might as well tell me that Mike Brown is an awesome coach.

If you added *And trades* to his statement I agree with it. No major free agent will ever sign with Boston.

How do you know that?

Name one that has in the last 44 years....yeah, nobody ever has. NBA is a league of high drama bright lights fashionistas who would rather play somewhere for the weather and public exposure than the organization and championships. Now hell may freeze over once like it did with Lebron going to cleveland. But it would have to be some crazy circumstance like a Big name free agent growing up in Boston and wanting to bring a championship there. (Nerlens Noel im looking at you)

but to your average joe it isnt a very attractive place.

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2014, 03:51:54 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

How do you know that?

Name one that has in the last 44 years....yeah, nobody ever has. NBA is a league of high drama bright lights fashionistas who would rather play somewhere for the weather and public exposure than the organization and championships. Now hell may freeze over once like it did with Lebron going to cleveland. But it would have to be some crazy circumstance like a Big name free agent growing up in Boston and wanting to bring a championship there. (Nerlens Noel im looking at you)

but to your average joe it isnt a very attractive place.

When did Boston had the cap space to sign free agents?

« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2014, 01:05:45 PM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92

« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2014, 01:33:19 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
It's getting hard to talk rationally about this tanking thing because of the patriotism factor and the basic idea of whether or not you tanking is a good strategy.

If you just ask the question, though: "Is winning games this season the organization's top priority?" The answer is obviously no.

Is the organization trying to get the best possible personnel for this season's team? The answer is obviously no.

Is the team pursuing a winning strategy on the court? No, again.

That doesn't add up to tanking, exactly. As an organization, the Celtics aren't racing to the bottom- they just aren't trying to win.