Author Topic: Celtics (2-3) at Sixers (1-3) Preseason Game #6 10/16/14  (Read 16700 times)

Re: Celtics (2-3) at Sixers (1-3) Preseason Game #6 10/16/14
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2014, 11:33:17 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
today's agenda, keep bombing away 3s

Unfortunately, this seems to be Stevens' style of play, even without a roster of 3-point marksmen.  Personally, I'd prefer it if our number of free throw attempts was exchanged with our 3-point tries, so that we'd shoot 15 3s a game, but shoot 30+ free throws, but I guess that that's just me.

Incredibly premature to say that so far. The way they've been shooting it during the preseason (yes, I know it's the preseason, yadda yadda) seems to suggest that this team is prepped with a lot of players who shoot the 3-pointer very well, the main 4 being Bradley-Sullinger-KO-Thornton. Then you have Green who is quite prolific from the corner.

I think people have been a bit dismissive of our 3-point arsenal, in part because of what occurred last year and also because Thornton was completely overlooked as a contributor.

That said, I think they're taking a lot of 3s that are completely unnecessary and out of rhythm, that worries me. But at the moment, I'll play along and see how far the 3 point shooting can get us.

I've seen enough at the moment to see this experiment through particularly if our bigs are hitting it at this efficient of a rate.

« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2014, 12:20:24 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
This team will shoot a lot of 3's all season long.  That is how they'll try to compete so get used to it. 

« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2014, 12:23:02 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
KO looks good.  After his summer weight program he already looks more jacked than Dirk (his role model and ultimate ceiling) ever did.  If he can continue to build his physique while maintaining and improving his finesse game, he could be a dominant and versatile big man. 

Ps- anyone hear Embiid's brother passed away?  Poor guy.  RIP
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2014, 12:56:53 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
KO looks good.  After his summer weight program he already looks more jacked than Dirk (his role model and ultimate ceiling) ever did.  If he can continue to build his physique while maintaining and improving his finesse game, he could be a dominant and versatile big man. 

Toni Kukoc?

« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2014, 02:06:25 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
The box score says Marcus Smart jacked up 4 threes, missed all of them, and that was it as far as him trying to score is concerned. Does the eye agree with this?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2014, 02:28:16 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Between the last two games. C's need to work on their ball movement too many turnovers. Also the pick and roll offense and defense needs a lot of work. Funny how Raptors packed it in and C's could not hit their shots while 76ers attempt to guard* and they hit a great rate. So far I'm not feeling this strategy because I don't believe the shooting is consistent enough. Looks like it's a heavy analytic offense of shoot 3s or make sure it's a layup offense. I know they can be a turnover forcing defense but can everyone keep their 3pt fg % above 36%? Also not sure if they will win the board battle. Based on what I have heard analytics suggest to win FT, 3s, TOs, Rebs ratio all must be in their favor. Not the C's strengths right now.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 02:37:35 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2014, 02:32:10 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The box score says Marcus Smart jacked up 4 threes, missed all of them, and that was it as far as him trying to score is concerned. Does the eye agree with this?

To me, no. He went after some put backs. He also drove a few times deep. So about 4 shots outside all in stats chart and 4 in the paint. Though in the paint ones never got off he was looking for them.

« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2014, 02:56:49 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
If we could play the 76ers 82 times this season, we'd probably end up with a pretty good record.

« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2014, 10:29:38 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Toni Kukoc?
Larry Bird?

« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2014, 01:13:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Incredibly premature to say that so far. The way they've been shooting it during the preseason (yes, I know it's the preseason, yadda yadda) seems to suggest that this team is prepped with a lot of players who shoot the 3-pointer very well, the main 4 being Bradley-Sullinger-KO-Thornton. Then you have Green who is quite prolific from the corner.
Preseason or not, Olynyk, Bradley, and Sullinger are not going to average .520+ shooting from three over the course of the season. That's not preparation, that's statistical variation.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2014, 09:19:28 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Toni Kukoc?
Yes, I made this comparison last year. Now I see the close resemblance to Dirk with offensive arsenal of 3-point shot, a nice post spin move, and a step back shot that really looks a lot like Dirk.  Not saying he will become Dirk by any means, just that the resemblance is there. I would say KO already is a better passer and may be a better defender than Dirk.  The passing is really why the Kukoc comparison is a good one.