Author Topic: Opinion on C's Starting Five.  (Read 9766 times)

Re: Opinion on C's Starting Five.
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2014, 04:24:19 PM »

Offline showtime

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
My Wished for starting line up. Rondo, Young, Green, KellyO, and Zeller.  The probable starting line up assuming Rondo is still out. Turner, Bradley, Green, Sully, and Oly.

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2014, 05:17:42 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja
My revised starting five...Turner, Young, Green, Sullinger, and Zeller.
Are you Young's agent?
tp. good one.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2014, 05:32:16 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja
Rondo, Bradley, Green, Bass, Olynyk

I believe that's the most balanced starting 5 we have, and is a nice balance between slashing, shooting and defence.

Sully is in horrible condition this pre-season, as much as he has impressed the box scores with his 'on paper' production, this completely covers up the fact that his defence has been well and truly horrendous as a result of his total lack of mobility and size. 

Against the Raptors it was almost embarrassing - their bigs were shooting straight over Sully like he was a SG.  He jumped with his arm up to contest, but due to his lack of height and vertical he wasn't able to even come close to bothering the shot...and when they weren't shooting over him they were running by him like he was standing still.

After Sully sat I saw them trying the exact same thing against both Olynyk and Zeller with minimal success.  I think they managed to shoot over Olynyk's outstretched arm one time...every other time he was able to get his hand up high enough to bother the shot, or was able to use his (relative) agility to cut off the drive and force them in to a tough position. 

Transition effort was even worse by Sully.  Olynyk was constantly one of the first men back on defense and one of the first men up on offense.  I saw a number of possessions where Sully either jogged back incredibly slowly (by the time he got back there was already a change in possession) and a possession or two where he didn't get back at all.

Sully has looked reasonably energetic in about the first 3-5 minutes of getting in the game, but after that time has passed he looks slow in every possible way.  At times you could see that he saw a chance to make a move, was about to step, then backed off because he realised he was too slow to get to it. 

Sully is now in his third season in the league.  His back has been repaired, his finger is no longer injured, he's had a full training camp...and he's just about out of excuses.  I'm hoping he comes off the bench, because that way he can come in for 5 minutes at a time, play hard, and really provide a spark for us.

My optimal second unit would be:

Smart
Thornton
Turner
Sully
Zeller

My only reason for not starting Zeller (over Bass) is that we need a defensive player with some size off the bench to pair with Sully, as his D is truly horrific.  Bass is a solid defensive player, but the Bass+Sully combination is too lacking in size...and we all know by now that having this combination in the game (at any time) is a pure disaster.

On the other hand Olynyk is a legit 7 footer with decent mobility, so having Bass along side Olynyk wouldn't be so bad.  Bass can man up against stronger and more physical bigs, while Olynyk can take the longer and skinner big (assuming there is one). 

Also this combination ensures there is always a big in the game with three point range - either Sully or Olynyk.
just a small point here. olly is 7 foot, but the real measure of importance is not the top of a center's head. the more important measure is standing reach. and from there we factor in jumping ability.

the average center in the nba has a standing reach of 9'1.7". our very own olly has a standing reach of 9' even, which, obviously, is below average. add into that the fact that olly is not a terrific leaper and you can see that even though the top of his head is 7 feet from the floor, his ability to contest shots, etc. in the nba is probably below average for centers.

next, you mention olly's agility. please, i know of no one who seriously puts this forth as a strength for olly. his agility is really questionable, and that is putting it nicely. he seems to be better this year than last, but he still is not an agile cat out there. lateral movement is not his forte. i like olly's game a lot, but these are weaknesses, not strengths for him.

but aside from this small point sniping by me, your post is a good one and i dont mean to distract from it.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2014, 06:27:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
At some point we should make a trade for a starting center.

PG - Rondo/Smart/Pressey
SG - Bradley/Thornton
SF - Green/Turner
PF - Bass/Sully/Oly
C - ?/?/Zeller

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2014, 09:38:02 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
At some point we should make a trade for a starting center.

PG - Rondo/Smart/Pressey
SG - Bradley/Thornton
SF - Green/Turner
PF - Bass/Sully/Oly
C - ?/?/Zeller
All the pieces fall into place if you consider that there are quite a few good centers in next year's draft.

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2014, 09:49:10 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I want to make a small point of clarification that everyone seems to have missed.

Our current starting lineup is actually:

PG:  Turner (until Rondo returns)
SG:  Bradley
SF:  Green
PF:  Olynyk
C:  Sullinger

Not that it matters all that much as they are both in reality power forwards, but paired with Olynyk, Sully is likely to be guarding the opposing team's center on most nights as opposed to the other way around. 

Refer to the recent Toronto game for an example, where Sully guard Valanciunas while Kelly was guarding Amir Johnson. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2014, 10:11:15 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I want to make a small point of clarification that everyone seems to have missed.

Not that it matters all that much as they are both in reality power forwards, but paired with Olynyk, Sully is likely to be guarding the opposing team's center on most nights as opposed to the other way around. 

Refer to the recent Toronto game for an example, where Sully guard Valanciunas while Kelly was guarding Amir Johnson.

I'm sure they will take turns guarding the center but either way, CBS says he is the starting center.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2014, 10:16:01 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I'm sure they will take turns guarding the center but either way, CBS says he is the starting center.

Which one is "he"?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2014, 10:20:11 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
I found the article.  While I have no problem calling Olynyk the center in name, I still think that Sully is most likely to be guarding the opposition's primary low post scorer. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2014, 10:21:05 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
KO is listed at Center.

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2014, 10:22:13 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
I found the article.  While I have no problem calling Olynyk the center in name, I still think that Sully is most likely to be guarding the opposition's primary low post scorer. 

And being guarded by the opposing center as well.

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2014, 10:24:02 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
If they were into accuracy, I think the box score listings would look like this:

PG:  Turner
PF:  Sullinger

Basically, we are going without a center and having our two young power forwards share the interior duties. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2014, 10:24:58 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

And being guarded by the opposing center as well.

Probably true, as well. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2014, 12:15:54 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
If they were into accuracy, I think the box score listings would look like this:

Basically, we are going without a center and having our two young power forwards share the interior duties.

If this is our starting line I'm not sure how anyone can really have any optimism for this season.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2014, 12:30:35 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

If this is our starting line I'm not sure how anyone can really have any optimism for this season.
That will only be the starting lineup for at most a week or two before our All Star point guard returns to push Evan Turner back to his rightful position coming off the bench.
DKC Seventy-Sixers: