Poll

What was your greatest disappointment during the offseason?

The players we signed?
0 (0%)
The players we did NOT sign?
5 (12.2%)
Failing to get a top-3 draft pick?
19 (46.3%)
The Love Affair?
9 (22%)
Failing to get rid of Wallace's contract?
1 (2.4%)
Other (specify in comments)
7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: The all-purpose feel down and depressed topic  (Read 20895 times)

Re: The all-purpose feel down and depressed topic
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2014, 12:14:37 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Perkins. 'nuff said.
  I think he timed this one perfectly.   Guy can't stay healthy.  He got rid of him at the right time.

KO is a solid player, but choosing him over Giannis
  Giannis best attribute is he has grown, his stats are worse than KO last year.

Fab Melo- a first round pick now playing for Paulistano in Brazil.
  This I agree with but when has a Syracuse guy ever been good on defense?   Below average college players rarely translate well in the NBA.

I would like to add that he added assets with losing nothing in the off season.    I was talking to a CAVs fan the other day and they really hated losing Zeller.  Not that he is a star but a bench guy with promise.

« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2014, 12:26:04 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I left the forum once I knew Love wasn't coming here.

Now I'm back and basically being a troll/venting on various topics.There really is no hope imo

Yeah but on the other hand at least we didn't wind up with Kevin Love.

The Perkins trade was a good trade, Olynyk/Giannis is a wash right now, and Fab Melo was the 22nd pick, so no harm no foul.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2014, 12:26:59 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Perkins. 'nuff said.
  I think he timed this one perfectly.   Guy can't stay healthy.  He got rid of him at the right time.

KO is a solid player, but choosing him over Giannis
  Giannis best attribute is he has grown, his stats are worse than KO last year.

Fab Melo- a first round pick now playing for Paulistano in Brazil.
  This I agree with but when has a Syracuse guy ever been good on defense?   Below average college players rarely translate well in the NBA.

I would like to add that he added assets with losing nothing in the off season.    I was talking to a CAVs fan the other day and they really hated losing Zeller.  Not that he is a star but a bench guy with promise.
Hi Celtics4ever!
Thank you for your thoughts. Everything I write is at least partially tongue in cheek, so there is always some exaggeration involved.
Now, let's see if I can find some serious answers to your valid points.
-The problem with the Perkins + Robinson trade is not only what he gave up (a legit Center) but also what he got in return.
-Giannis is 19; KO is 23. Comparing their stats alone is misleading due to the age gap + Giannis has a huge upside and a body uniquely fitting to the game of basketball. The media are in love with him for a reason.
But even if we focus on their stats alone the only cat in which KO was better (if my memory is correct) is FG%. I believe Giannis will have a monster year. KO will slowly evolve into a solid stretch 4- nothing wrong with him, he is a good player, I just do not see the All-Star potential Giannis has.

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2014, 12:28:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The media are in love with Giannis because he's basically the only good thing to come out of that entire draft class so far, and by 'good' I mean that he allows them to play on potential and storylines, which is their stock-in-trade.  ;)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2014, 12:32:08 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
I left the forum once I knew Love wasn't coming here.

Now I'm back and basically being a troll/venting on various topics.There really is no hope imo

Yeah but on the other hand at least we didn't wind up with Kevin Love.

The Perkins trade was a good trade, Olynyk/Giannis is a wash right now, and Fab Melo was the 22nd pick, so no harm no foul.
Sir, everything is a wash right now. All we are left with is the reminiscence of past glory.

« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2014, 12:36:29 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2014, 01:11:54 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I think Giannis is a future all star, and I don't think that Olynyk and Giannis are a wash (if they were the same age, I would reconsider)

I also think that picking Giannis would have been reckless and idiotic. Olynyk won't be an all-star, but he will have a more successful NBA career than all but 5-6 of the players that were drafted that year. That'a great pick at #13. No one should feel down about it.

What you should feel down about is drawing pick 6 last year when a 1-3 pick would have been life-changing. We have drafted well, but we have not been lucky.

« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2014, 01:15:57 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

I think Giannis is a future all star, and I don't think that Olynyk and Giannis are a wash (if they were the same age, I would reconsider)

I also think that picking Giannis would have been reckless and idiotic. Olynyk won't be an all-star, but he will have a more successful NBA career than all but 5-6 of the players that were drafted that year. That'a great pick at #13. No one should feel down about it.

What you should feel down about is drawing pick 6 last year when a 1-3 pick would have been life-changing. We have drafted well, but we have not been lucky.
Interesting ideas. Since you think that Giannis is a future A-S and Olynyk is not, why do you think that picking Giannis would have been reckless? Can you elaborate on this?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:24:46 PM by greece666 »

« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2014, 01:30:29 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137

picks 2 or 3 would've been a gear shifted up in the rebuild. not necessarily life changing. Seems like whoever got that #1 pick was scoring at love this off season

« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2014, 01:34:14 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

Interesting ideas. Since that you think that Giannis is a future A-S and Olynyk is not, why do you think that picking Giannis would have been reckless? Can you elaborate on this?

There were hours and hours of tape on Kelly Olynyk. He was the most dominant offensive player in the NCAA in 2012-2013.

There were minutes of tape on Antetokounmpo. In it, he was dribbling the ball beautifully up the court against a bunch of 6-foot Greek teenagers.

He was a skinny 6'9" dude running the point in U18 ball and playing not particularly well on a terrible team in a 2nd-tier Greek pro league. The highest competition he had ever seen was either that or the FIBA U18 tournament, where he also wasn't a huge standout. He was a complete shot in the dark gamble- the only thing anyone knew for sure about him was that he had big hands, long arms, and could move well with the ball.

« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2014, 01:35:18 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

picks 2 or 3 would've been a gear shifted up in the rebuild. not necessarily life changing. Seems like whoever got that #1 pick was scoring at love this off season
Maybe. I think what made LBJ consider a return to the Cavs was precisely that they got the nr 1 pick. So, the order would be more like 1. Cavs get nr 1 pick 2. LBJ gets in touch with them 3. Cavs get in touch with Minny.
If Philly had got nr1 I really doubt Hinkie would have gone after Kevin Love  ;D

« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2014, 01:37:50 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

Strongly disagree. There is no universe in which Kevin Love would have been traded to the Bucks, Magic, 76ers, or Jazz.

« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2014, 01:38:52 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

Strongly disagree. There is no universe in which Kevin Love would have been traded to the Bucks, Magic, 76ers, or Jazz.
or Boston.
TP anyway.

« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2014, 01:39:10 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137

Maybe. I think what made LBJ consider a return to the Cavs was precisely that they got the nr 1 pick. So, the order would be more like 1. Cavs get nr 1 pick 2. LBJ gets in touch with them 3. Cavs get in touch with Minny.
If Philly had got nr1 I really doubt Hinkie would have gone after Kevin Love  ;D

Your right. What I meant was has the best chance of an offer Minny was willing to take. Excluding Goldenstate who almost threw away a hard earned  team rebuild for him

« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2014, 01:40:48 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

Your right. What I meant was has the best chance of an offer Minny was willing to take. Excluding Goldenstate who almost threw away a hard earned  team rebuild for him
Yup, that's a good point.