Author Topic: Celtics trade Fab Melo for Donte Green (non-guaranteed contract)  (Read 29106 times)

Re: Celtics trade Fab Melo for Donte Green (non-guaranteed contract)
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2013, 01:58:26 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
should have taken the two picks last year and moved up...

what a waste...

I'm happy with Sully.  Melo was a wasted pick the second it was made.  Of course, nobody picked behind him is lighting the world on fire.  I still think Perry Jones would have made more sense.
Well, Ezeli looks like he may be a serviceable NBA player.
Moultrie too.

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2013, 01:58:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

what a waste...

I'm happy with Sully.  Melo was a wasted pick the second it was made.  Of course, nobody picked behind him is lighting the world on fire.  I still think Perry Jones would have made more sense.

Yeah, he'll at least be a bench guy, assuming he comes back fine from his roster.  I don't see Ezeli as a huge miss, but he would have added more than Melo.
Well, you can't miss _that_ huge in the 20s and down, really.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2013, 02:00:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

what a waste...

Moultrie too.
Yeah. I didn't even realize he was picked after Melo.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Re: Rumor: Memphis working on Donte Green for Fab Melo swap
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2013, 02:03:49 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Terrific. An open roster spot looks more valuable than Fab Melo. So nicely done.

Although another SF/PF/SG puts Bogans' role in question. Especially with G-Wallace expected to be used off the bench as backup SF.

It'll be interesting to see whether Ainge keeps D.Greene or K.Bogans. Greene's versatility as a utility man and third string SF is pretty useful to have on the end of one's roster.

« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2013, 02:05:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Terrific. An open roster spot looks more valuable than Fab Melo. So nicely done.

Although another SF/PF/SG puts Bogans' role in question. Especially with G-Wallace expected to be used off the bench as backup SF.

It'll be interesting to see whether Ainge keeps D.Greene or K.Bogans. Greene's versatility as a utility man and third string SF is pretty useful to have on the end of one's roster.
Greene's contract is non-guaranteed, Who. Its more than likely he is gone.

« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2013, 02:07:31 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

If we could somehow keep him over Bogans, I'd happily do so. Isn't the tax not assessed until the end of the year? We can trade Bogans in December, IIRC.

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2013, 02:13:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I don't think Donte Greene is any more than a D-League quality player than Fab Melo is, honestly.

I'd much prefer to keep Bogans.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2013, 02:15:54 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

I don't think Donte Greene is any more than a D-League quality player than Fab Melo is, honestly.

I'd much prefer to keep Bogans.

Remember, Bogans is also a great locker room prescence.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2013, 02:30:04 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

But he's completely unguaranteed, it seems, with the standard January deadline being when his contract becomes fully guaranteed. So the Celtics can afford to kick the tires and see if he has anything to offer.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2013, 02:43:14 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I wish all the luck in the world to Fab.

Still a long ways to go but the kid is a hard worker. It might help him watch Marc Gasol every practice.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2013, 02:44:08 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Another "Green(e)?" Oh wow hahah.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2013, 02:52:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If we could somehow keep him over Bogans, I'd happily do so. Isn't the tax not assessed until the end of the year? We can trade Bogans in December, IIRC.

Bogans would be a lot harder to dump, with a $5 million deal.

Plus, his contract actually turns into an asset next season, with its $5+ million salary being non-guaranteed.  That's pretty nice in a sign-and-trade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2013, 02:54:19 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Good riddance.  The kid has no basketball sense.

That's basically what I felt/thought upon seeing the headline on CB. Melo just seems to have no grasp of the game.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2013, 03:08:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Greene will get a chance to show himself for trainning camp. And even then kept for trading piece purpose.

He is a super streaky shooter. Maybe something will click here with the celts

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2013, 03:12:44 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Smart choice by Danny Ainge, I hope he has some more trade(s) up his sleeve in order to balance the roster better.

I hate to see Project Melo didn't work, but we still have some young prospects and future picks. Of course, I wish good luck to the kid, but I hope this trade works out in Celtic's favor, aside from the good news of avoiding the luxury tax.

Donte Greene is tall, is he any good?