Author Topic: How good do you see MarShon Brooks becoming?  (Read 23921 times)

Re: How good do you see MarShon Brooks becoming?
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2013, 08:42:40 PM »

fitzhickey

They play different positions, but MarShon Brooks contributes much less than Brandon Bass when neither is making shots and is less likely to make a shot than Bass.
the difference in fg% is 2% so i think that doesnt really count for much. i would much rather have a guy who can score 15 get 4 boards and 3 assists per 36
than 11 pts 7 rebs

If the first guy plays matador defense and the second guy hustles on defense, would you still feel that way?
haha good point
i will admit that my judgments are based on seeing bass play and just on brooks' statistics which dont show effort

« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2013, 09:10:50 PM »

Offline celticbos

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
I see Brooks having a very productive year with Rondo dishing him some easy shots. Don't be surprised to see him in the starting lineup at the beginning of the year if Rondo is ready to go.

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2013, 09:38:58 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Yes, that's right. Also described a lot of others PG's... say the last 2 ROYs more or less. It's not really easy to find a quality "real" SG to go well with Rondo, but that would be great for the team, would really take it to another level. If the young Celtics SG's start playing better, we can try a trade.

A catch-and-shoot guy who plays defense seems like the ideal shooting guard to pair with Rondo.  Avery Bradley has the potential to be that guy.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2013, 09:48:43 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I see Brooks having a very productive year with Rondo dishing him some easy shots. Don't be surprised to see him in the starting lineup at the beginning of the year if Rondo is ready to go.

the same can be said about Deron Williams right? I mean obviously I think Rondo is the better player, but in terms of commanding double teams and setting up teammates, both Deron and Rondo possess that...

I doubt Marshon is going to be any more different than he was in Brooklyn. Though I must say the reason his production went down is because of Joe Johnson, while here, he has the competition of Bradley, Lee and Crawford which isn't much competition in terms of just plain scoring. I still like Bradley as our starting SG

« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2013, 09:52:30 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
the question here really should be is Marshon Brooks' ceiling higher than any of the other Nets players Ainge could have asked for in return instead of him, such as Teletovich? I say yes, Brooks was clearly the best option.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:00:22 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2013, 09:54:24 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I say yes, Brooks was clearly the best option.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2013, 10:11:17 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I doubt Marshon is going to be any more different than he was in Brooklyn. Though I must say the reason his production went down is because of Joe Johnson, while here, he has the competition of Bradley, Lee and Crawford which isn't much competition in terms of just plain scoring. I still like Bradley as our starting SG

If you look at his per-minute stats, his playing time went down, but not his production.  Some of the minutes that could have gone to Brooks went instead to Jerry Stackhouse and Keith Bogans.  You may have noticed that Brooks only started two of the ten games that Johnson missed towards the end of the season, coming off the bench in the other eight.  Was that because Avery Johnson and PJ Carlisimo are bad coaches who won't use young players?  Was that because a playoff team should rely on veterans rather than inconsistent youth?  Or was it something else?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2013, 10:42:51 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within

If you look at his per-minute stats, his playing time went down, but not his production.  Some of the minutes that could have gone to Brooks went instead to Jerry Stackhouse and Keith Bogans.  You may have noticed that Brooks only started two of the ten games that Johnson missed towards the end of the season, coming off the bench in the other eight.  Was that because Avery Johnson and PJ Carlisimo are bad coaches who won't use young players?  Was that because a playoff team should rely on veterans rather than inconsistent youth?  Or was it something else?

Thanks for pointing this out; however even if he did not start he did shoulder most of the scoring. Defense is the key, playing more within the flow of the game, making the extra pass, all things that come with experience. Is clearly a bright guy and one who has something to prove. Yes he can be a player in this league; but Crawford and Bradley will push him to prove it every day. The real question is which will be the most consistent from 3pt. range. Bradley can shut down D Wade. So he will also have to play some D to get minutes; but Danny will play him and Crawford, if only to showcase him for a trade. Look for them to spread the minutes around and mix things up.

« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2013, 02:13:33 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Ceiling: Kobe Bryant

Floor: LaMarcus Aldridge
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2013, 02:48:54 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I have seen a solid rookie season from him and I think having Joe Johnson hindered his development a bit.

I mean sure, he needs to improve in a few facets of his game, especially defense but during his rookie year I saw the scorer that everyone said he was. If he gets a steady 25 minutes a game, I think it's not crazy to say that Brooks will average 12-15 ppg.

I think I'm echoing a lot of posters already but I'll say it anyway. I think his NBA floor is a scorer off the bench in the like of Gary Neal.

Now I'm not comparing him to Neal, obviously Neal is a better shooter, I'm just saying his NBA floor could be that kind of a role player that gets inserted in the game to provide a bit of a scoring punch, and then of course once in a while, will have big games where he'll be on fire and not miss anything.

His rookie year showed me that his ceiling could be a guy that will average 18 ppg on 42-44% shooting. I think he was on pace to do such a thing if not for JJ taking his paying time. Now, for a player picked #25 in a relatively weak draft, that's a steal.  But I think that's about as high as he can be.

And he still needs to work on his defense and three point shooting.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2013, 03:32:04 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
He would make a nice fourth guard on a good team.  He can put the ball in the basket (albeit inefficiently).  Every team needs a guy who can score.

He also seems to be a nice kid.  Seems very willing to learn.  He could turn into a solid asset if Stevens can teach him to play defense and shoot.

« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2013, 05:35:38 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Ceiling: Reggie Miller, Floor: Muggsy Boguoes. ;-)
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2013, 06:23:52 AM »

fitzhickey

Ceiling: Reggie Miller, Floor: Muggsy Boguoes. ;-)
cant wait for reggie 2.0
it will be like ray never left

« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2013, 08:34:06 AM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Still needs to improve his 3 point shooting and shot selection, but he's an interesting offensive talent that can be productive when given the chance.
If I had to sum him up in one sentence that would be it.

I watched a good bit of Brooks his rookie season and the potential there was obvious, but I think there is a clear ceiling for him. He is never going to be a starting 2 guard on a team that is competing for a championship.

At best he is going to be Nate Robinson/Nick Young type 6th man instant offense type of player. At worst he is going to be a talented scorer on a Euro squad. If I had to make a prediction, I think he is going to end up being a poor man's 6th man or a rotational SG on a good team (Leandro Barbosa).

I don't think he is going to be a Celtic long term though. With a bit more polish he would be a great add in to one of those mega trades for a superstar. He will get plenty of minutes to showcase his talents this year and then could be moved in a large deal down the road or at the deadline to a contender needing either scoring or that suffered an unexpected injury.

He just was.  Involved in a mega trade for 2 superstars actually.  Just a shame we were the ones giving up the superstars.

« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2013, 11:41:47 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Not very good.

On the other hand, we may be bad enough that bad players could look good this season. Like Brooks' rookie season.