Author Topic: Trade Ideas w/Brandon Bass  (Read 8722 times)

Re: Trade Ideas w/Brandon Bass
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 07:21:37 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'm not sure now is the time to go after Asik, but I do think he's a superior player to Bass. If 10 points, 12 boards and elite defense spells "backup" I dunno what to say.

The $15M thing is a backloaded contract. For cap purposes he only makes $2M more than Bass, and Houston can send up to $3M in sweetener.

I'd do the deal if we could resign Asik on a reasonable contract. Not worth losing a 1st rounder if he just walks, though.

EDIT: We could also play TPE games. For example, Bass to Denver for a TPE (Igoudala) and then 1st rounder + our TPE to Houston for Asik.

I feel like a lot of people have just never seen Asik play. On most teams, he's a starter - double, double with great defense? Why wouldn't we want a guy like that?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 07:27:04 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm not sure now is the time to go after Asik, but I do think he's a superior player to Bass. If 10 points, 12 boards and elite defense spells "backup" I dunno what to say.

The $15M thing is a backloaded contract. For cap purposes he only makes $2M more than Bass, and Houston can send up to $3M in sweetener.

I'd do the deal if we could resign Asik on a reasonable contract. Not worth losing a 1st rounder if he just walks, though.

EDIT: We could also play TPE games. For example, Bass to Denver for a TPE (Igoudala) and then 1st rounder + our TPE to Houston for Asik.

I feel like a lot of people have just never seen Asik play. On most teams, he's a starter - double, double with great defense? Why wouldn't we want a guy like that?

I agree, he's good, but not flashy - and that's probably the problem. People fall so in love with athleticism and potential, and with a fan base that has watched PP play since '98, that is a little ironic.

The problem may be that we are trying to clear as much cap space as possible and ~9 mill/yr for Asik might be seen as a waste, even if it really isn't.

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 07:35:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Bass is gone for this reason.  We are no longer in contention and he alone won't put butts in the seats.   It has nothing to do with his game.   He is not a future guy to build around. 

I would offer him to Dallas for Jaw Crowder and a next year pick or Ledo.

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6319909

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 07:45:59 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
1. Three-way trade with OKC and HOU (can't be done until December because of Adams ) that sends:

- Bass+Shav to HOU with Steven Adams from OKC
- Asik to OKC
- Perk + PJ3 + the Dallas 2014 pick and the rights to Papanikolau from HOU to the Cs.

2. Bass for Derrick Williams to shave some salary (1M)and get a younger player. Are the Wolves trying to win? they should pick a real PF  ;)

3. Bass+filler to Utah for Biedrins. Big expiring to use at the trade deadline, maybe packed with Bogans.

I'd do 1 and 2, 3 only if we can't find a better deal.

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 07:47:42 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Best LeBron-defender in the league.
Best Carmelo-defender in the league.

Easily underpaid.

~thumpin'

He is?

I can't think of any defenders better than Bass.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 08:01:48 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Brandon Bass and Jordan Crawford to Cleveland for Daniel Gibson (sign & trade) and Alonzo Gee.

This assumes that the Cavs get claim Mike Miller off of waivers and have Gee as the third string small forward behind Miller and Russian rookie Sergey Karasev.

After waiving Kris Joseph, the Celtics are only two players deep at small forward.  Gee would be a third string player on a very tradeable contract which has the feature of being fully unguaranteed for 3014-2015.

The Celtics could use another point guard.  Pressey might make the team as a backup, but the team could use another point guard, especially if Rondo is not ready at the start of the season.  I think he would have to be signed at a contract starting at around $2.5m to make the money work but only the first season has to be guaranteed.

It clears up the logjam at two positions, creates third-string options at SF and PG, reduces the 2013-2014 payroll, reduces the 2014-2015 payroll, and gives the team two future unguaranteed contracts that can be used in trades.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 08:06:22 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Brandon Bass and Jordan Crawford to Cleveland for Daniel Gibson (sign & trade) and Alonzo Gee.

This assumes that the Cavs get claim Mike Miller off of waivers and have Gee as the third string small forward behind Miller and Russian rookie Sergey Karasev.

After waiving Kris Joseph, the Celtics are only two players deep at small forward.  Gee would be a third string player on a very tradeable contract which has the feature of being fully unguaranteed for 3014-2015.

The Celtics could use another point guard.  Pressey might make the team as a backup, but the team could use another point guard, especially if Rondo is not ready at the start of the season.  I think he would have to be signed at a contract starting at around $2.5m to make the money work but only the first season has to be guaranteed.

It clears up the logjam at two positions, creates third-string options at SF and PG, reduces the 2013-2014 payroll, reduces the 2014-2015 payroll, and gives the team two future unguaranteed contracts that can be used in trades.

We'd still have 17(?) players, unfortunately.

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 08:06:48 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Easily underpaid.

~thumpin'

He is?

Can't tell if this is sarcasm.

But off the top of my head: Paul George, Kahwi Leonard, Luol Deng, Andre Iguodala, Tony Allen, Thabo Sefolosha, Jared Dudley, so many more.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 08:20:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

We'd still have 17(?) players, unfortunately.

Waive Randolph, make Pressey your final preseason cut so you can hopefully send him to the D-League if Rondo is ready at the start of the season.  You'd still have to drop someone if you want Colton Iverson taking up a roster spot, but it will be easier to do a salary dump of Gee than Bass or Humphries if you are simply looking to clear a roster spot.

EDIT: I was wrong.  Waiving Shav gets you down to 14 and you can decide between Pressey, Iverson or trying to move another contract to keep both rookies.  You don't need to make a trade to cut Pressey and keep Iverson.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:26:56 PM by LooseCannon »
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 08:27:45 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Easily underpaid.

~thumpin'

He is?

Can't tell if this is sarcasm.

But off the top of my head: Paul George, Kahwi Leonard, Luol Deng, Andre Iguodala, Tony Allen, Thabo Sefolosha, Jared Dudley, so many more.

Not sarcasm. LeBron James average points per game vs. each of these players?

25.8 - Jared Dudley
26.4 - Paul George
26.9 - Brandon Bass
28.5 - Andre Iguodala
30.6 - Luol Deng
30.6 - Tony Allen
30.8 - Thabo Sefolosha
33.0 - Kawhi Leonard

If those are the seven best defenders that you can think of, off the top of your head, then Bass is right up there with the best. And when you take into account his defense in the Playoffs, where things matter most, it becomes much less of a competition. In my opinion, Brandon Samuel Bass is indeed the best LeBron-stopper in the league. JMO
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 08:34:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
At one time PP had to be on that list.

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 09:50:38 PM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
just out of curiosity, does anybody know Bass's defensive numbers? I know he's regarded as good but I'm curious as to his advanced stats.

here you go buddy:
http://stats.nba.com/playerStats.html?PlayerID=101138&groupFeedtype=splitsGeneral&MeasureType=Advanced&PerMode=PerGame

He got DefRtg of 102.9 and Marc Gasol only got 96.8
so somehow I trust my eyes more than what the stats says :P
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 11:19:49 PM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
Bass is undersized. He doesn't have the luxury of finishing finesse-like because everyone is more opposing than him.

He plays to his strength, which is his strength. People bash on Fab for not trying to finish strong. Well, Bass finishes strong and tries to finish strong almost every time. Normally you want your bigs to dunk it, not lay it up - especially if he is 6'8.

I actually like all the pump-fakes he does. It means that he's in control and he doesn't want to force anything. This is literally the first time I've seen someone bash a player for pump faking the basketball.

His defense basically shut down Melo in the playoffs too. And he has some post moves. He isn't prolific, but he can abuse a mismatch.

Regarding the pump-faking and finishing; I think Bass uses the pump fake too much, I just feel he will pump-fake to no end in order to get his two-handed dunk off..when a simple jump hook or short shot off the glass would do, a la Sully.

And as a big, I want my big to make the correct basketball play,if the dunk is there dunk it, if a lay-up is there do the layup. What Bass does all the time is catch a ball above his head, and then bring it all the way down to gather,wait on his defender to react, then pump-fake(s), and then try to dunk. Bass(and almost most bigs to be honest) needs to do what sully does, if you catch it high, don't bring the ball all the way back down! Just finish high, all in one motion.

Bass and Sully are both players who are undersized yet their paint game is totally different, sully has a very diverse set of moves, which includes jump hooks, where as Bass has 1 to 2 moves, face-up jumper, pump fake to dunk...I'd rather open up more minutes to the player who is more effective, and the player to me is Sully.

Bass will have the defender backed down and on his shoulder, but then will pivot in, toward facing his defender to get his shot off, instead of using one hand to do a jump hook.

Here are Sully's jump hooks, Bass doesnt do this. Ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjjS-3rlqzg

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 11:32:21 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I'd prefer to trade Bass near the trade deadline. I'm more concerned with easing Sully back into things and limiting his minutes in the beginning of the season. Not to mention, Bass is a vet and can help mentor the new younger guys. Either way, I'm sure there will be a playoff team waiting to snatch him up.

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 11:45:17 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I'd prefer to trade Bass near the trade deadline. I'm more concerned with easing Sully back into things and limiting his minutes in the beginning of the season. Not to mention, Bass is a vet and can help mentor the new younger guys. Either way, I'm sure there will be a playoff team waiting to snatch him up.

Good points. Some apply to Lee too.

There is no rush to move them. They're not really the garbage that they're made out to be. They're trade-able but also have value here as mentors. They're also young playoff vets which young playoff teams could use.