Author Topic: I want to make a crazy multi-team trade proposal BOS/BRK/CHI/TOR  (Read 1518 times)

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Combining several of my trade ideas, because I want to go nuts just like everyone else.

Boston:
In: Carlos Boozer, Gerald Wallace, Mirza Teletovic,  Landry Fields
Out: Paul Pierce, Brandon Bass, Courtney Lee, Jason Terry

Chicago:

In: Andrea Bargnani, Courtney Lee, Marshon Brooks
Out: Carlos Boozer

Brooklyn:
In: Paul Pierce, Brandon Bass, Jason Terry
Out: Kris Humphries, Gerald Wallace, Mirza Teletovic, Marshon Brooks

Toronto:

In: Kris Humphries
Out: Andrea Bargnani, Landry Fields

Some additional players may need to be included to make it work.

Boston receives second-round picks from Chicago and Toronto and two first-round picks from Brooklyn.  Maybe also an option to swap their own 2014 pick for the (top-ten protected) Bobcats pick owned by the Bulls.   

Toronto does this deal because it gets out from Fields' contract and gets a PF not named Bargnani.

Brooklyn does this because they get out from under Wallace's contract, get an upgrade at PF from Humphries to Bass, and get a HOFer in the kind of splashy big name acquisition that a crazy Russian billionaire probably loves.

Chicago does this because they get a better solution at SG and get out from under Boozer's contract.

Boston does this to acquired draft picks while taking on bad contracts.

Unless you think Garnett-Boozer-Green-Bradley-Rondo with a bench of Sullinger, Wallace, Teletovic, and Fields plus a free agent center and backup point guard or two, a rookie, filling out the roster with some of the Chinese three or similar players is a recipe for a watchable team, in which case Boston does this to reload instead of rebuild, while acquiring future assets.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 01:24:17 AM by LooseCannon »
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: I want to make a crazy multi-team trade proposal BOS/BRK/CHI/TOR
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 05:44:36 AM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
The issue I have with this deal would be the amount of bad contracts that we are taking back on and in exchange we aren't going to get any top 10 picks.

Thats a fairly solid roster that the Celtics would have at the end of the day, but its not a team that is going to compete deep into the playoffs and it won't have room to improve due to cap constraints, which means we end up with a late teens draft pick the next few years.

So we are hamstrung by the cap until those bad contracts come off the books and we aren't drafting in a position to find a true difference maker (unless we get lucky and find a diamond in the rough). Seems like a recipe for mediocrity for me.

I do think its the type of deal each team would consider, and no one is getting screwed or anything, I just think there are probably better deals out there.

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:28:09 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
The issue I have with this deal would be the amount of bad contracts that we are taking back on and in exchange we aren't going to get any top 10 picks.

The recipe for the Celtics getting a top 10 pick is for them to get lottery-protected pick from a team that is still bad after the protection wears off or to get a pick well into the future from a team that is good now but will suck in a few years.  Maybe the Bobcats pick owned by the Bulls, which becomes unprotected in 2016.

If you want a top 10 pick that is specifically for 2014, you probably need a young player that another team thinks is better than anyone they can draft.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 11:37:32 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Why would we want bad contracts in a soon to be rebuilding era? Plus theres no reason for us to get all those draft picks in this deal the package we are giving up isnt all that special.

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 11:42:54 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I like the effort here.

I'm not sure that Chicago pulls that, though.  I understand the sentiment to try and get out from under Boozr's contract (which actually isn't terribly bad at this point) but I don't think Chicago takes this deal.  I think Butler came on strong towards to the end of the season and the SG position isn't as dire as people are led to believe.

Also, I hate the idea of Bargs/Deng for CHI.  Taking out Boozer and creating that duo makes the team worse, IMO.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 11:55:11 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Carlos Boozer, Gerald Wallace, Mirza Teletovic, Landry Fields are all pretty bad players.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 11:55:52 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Why would we want bad contracts in a soon to be rebuilding era? Plus theres no reason for us to get all those draft picks in this deal the package we are giving up isnt all that special.

Acquiring first-round picks by taking on bad contracts as pat of the deal is a reasonable way to go about rebuilding.  It requires accepting that you probably won't be a contender until a few years after those contracts expire.