Author Topic: Way to get Gortat and then Al Jefferson  (Read 4627 times)

Way to get Gortat and then Al Jefferson
« on: May 29, 2013, 08:49:45 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If the Celts decide to give it another go next year and bring back Pierce/KG (hopefully they do), what about dealing Green/Bass for Gortat/Beasley?

If the Celts take Beasley's deal, I've got to think Gortat would be ours for the taking.

Then, maybe dealing Rondo to Utah in a sign and trade for Al Jefferson (or Paul Millsap, in case Utah tries to keep Al and decides that a Rondo/Jefferson duo could make them a contender.)

I think adding Gortat and Jefferson (or Millsap) quite possibly sends us back to the Eastern Conference Finals.

Re: Way to get Gortat and then Al Jefferson
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 09:01:44 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Who plays PG?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 09:03:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Who plays PG?

A combination of Bradley, Lee, Terry and resigning Barbosa.

I know that didn't work out so well last year, BUT I just think having this much size will make up for any weaknesses in the backcourt.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 09:14:10 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
If we get one, we don't need the other.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 09:16:11 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Who plays PG?

Haven't you heard?  We don't need a point guard.  Point guards don't win titles. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 09:16:53 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Well, I was thinking in terms of if you add 2 more big guys, that's less you can play KG during the regular season and keep him preserved for the playoffs.

Besides, I don't think you can ever have enough size.

That's the only way we are ever going to beat Miami.

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 09:19:27 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Who plays PG?

Haven't you heard?  We don't need a point guard.  Point guards don't win titles.

This team needs size ALOT more than it needs a point guard. Indiana is in the ECF right now. Who is the all-star point guard on their team? George Hill is a decent player but I don't think he's in the proverbial top 10 PG class.

It's probably not a coincidence that the Pacers are doing well with size like Hibbert, West, Hansborough and Mahimi.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 09:32:12 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Who plays PG?

This team needs size ALOT more than it needs a point guard. Indiana is in the ECF right now. Who is the all-star point guard on their team? George Hill is a decent player but I don't think he's in the proverbial top 10 PG class.

It's probably not a coincidence that the Pacers are doing well with size like Hibbert, West, Hansborough and Mahimi.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Pacers are doing well.  I think Hibbert and West (and, to a lesser extent, Hansborough and Mahinmi) have a lot to do with that success. 

I also don't think it's a coincidence that the Spurs are in the finals.  The play of their star point guard clearly has a lot to do with that.  Of course, so does the play of their aging, legendary big man. 

Anyway, I think there's more than one way to skin a cat, and I also think there's more than one way to build a contending NBA basketball team.  The line of reasoning that says, "never mind point guards, the only thing that works is throwing size--any players with size--out there, and, presto, you're a contender" is a narrow and unsophisticated way to view the game of basketball. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 09:51:15 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think giving up Green for those 2 is too much. That same package could net us a lot more with other teams. Maybe if they swapped their 5th pick for our 16th too, but it's just not enough. They'd have to take Lee or Terry off our hands too for me to pick up the phone.

I'll also add that big men are the most important piece in general. Unless you have a combination of wing players that are both top 10 in the world, big men rule the NBA.
The heat lost to the Macs going big, they're struggling mightily against the Pacers tandem of Hibbert and West -on both ends.
Imagine if the Pacers had Grangers scoring and defense. Or even a top 5 SF instead of Paul George....they'd be up 3-1.
Imagine if the Bulls had a healthy team or if they get their hands on Gasol to replace Boozer AND get Rose and Butler to go along with Noah and Deng.
Their window is closing to me with Wades aging/injury status.
They've just been so lucky with the competition being injured and their own teams health being injury free.

If we look ahead to next year, the two teams that stand out to me are the Bulls and the Grizzlies. They'll get healthy, and in the Frizz case, they'll try and get a scorer to replace Prince. Even a few more solid 3 point shooters and they'd probably be up 3-1 against the Spurs. I mean they went to 3 overtimes in 4 games with zero input from Prince, with Allen chipping in the occasional 10 or 15 on a good night.
Imagine how good they'd be if they'd kept Gay, Speights and Sam Young?
Bigs rule, you need to surround them with at least one capable wing player and some 3 point shooters, but it's a hard task to stop them if they have perimeter threats to pass out to.
Small ball is very overrated.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 10:04:27 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Well, I was thinking in terms of if you add 2 more big guys, that's less you can play KG during the regular season and keep him preserved for the playoffs.

Horrible trade. No way getting rid of Green is worth bringing in Beasley. Green is twice the player than Beasley, PP can't play a ton of minutes, and Green next to KG was one of our better players in the playoffs.

Rondo is way more valuable the Big Al when it comes to the play offs, and for this team who needs some one that can get them shots. Big Al can't really do that for PP and KG.

So we loose two of our best players for two Starting centers and wast of talent SF that wont be able to guard the Lebrons and Melos, unlike Green.

Bradley/Barbosa
Terry/Williams
PP/Beasley
KG/Bass/Sully
Big Al/Gortat/Randolph

We're big but become very slow and less athletic. And hurts our future after next season, because you possible end up with...

Bradley
Williams
Beasley
Bass/Sully
Big Al/Randolph

Thats the core of your rebuild...

Appose to...

Rondo
Bradley/Williams
Green
Bass/Sully
2013 pick or FA/Randolph

If you were a FA who would you rather play with?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 10:15:11 PM by Sketch5 »

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 10:11:53 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
i dont want gortat, and i dont want that black hole al jefferson. enough with these outdated dinosaurs who cant play.

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 10:30:08 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
i dont want gortat, and i dont want that black hole al jefferson. enough with these outdated dinosaurs who cant play.

Hmmm yeah, let's take a look, shall we:

Last season averages:
Al Jefferson - 17.8ppg and 9.2 rpg
Marcin Gortat - 11 ppg and 8.5 rpg.

Career Averages -
Al Jefferson - 16ppg and 9 rpg.
Marcin Gortat - 8.6 ppg and 7 rpg.

Love to know which outdated dinosaurs you are talking about, because it seems to me that both Al and Gortat can play.

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 10:34:10 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Who plays PG?

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Pacers are doing well.  I think Hibbert and West (and, to a lesser extent, Hansborough and Mahinmi) have a lot to do with that success. 

I also don't think it's a coincidence that the Spurs are in the finals.  The play of their star point guard clearly has a lot to do with that.  Of course, so does the play of their aging, legendary big man. 

Anyway, I think there's more than one way to skin a cat, and I also think there's more than one way to build a contending NBA basketball team.  The line of reasoning that says, "never mind point guards, the only thing that works is throwing size--any players with size--out there, and, presto, you're a contender" is a narrow and unsophisticated way to view the game of basketball.

Well, if the Celts had a point guard like Tony Parker, we'd be all set. But we don't. Rondo is decent, but he's no Tony Parker.

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 10:38:19 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Horrible trade. No way getting rid of Green is worth bringing in Beasley. Green is twice the player than Beasley, PP can't play a ton of minutes, and Green next to KG was one of our better players in the playoffs.

Rondo is way more valuable the Big Al when it comes to the play offs, and for this team who needs some one that can get them shots. Big Al can't really do that for PP and KG.

So we loose two of our best players for two Starting centers and wast of talent SF that wont be able to guard the Lebrons and Melos, unlike Green.

Bradley/Barbosa
Terry/Williams
PP/Beasley
KG/Bass/Sully
Big Al/Gortat/Randolph

We're big but become very slow and less athletic. And hurts our future after next season, because you possible end up with...

Bradley
Williams
Beasley
Bass/Sully
Big Al/Randolph

Thats the core of your rebuild...

Appose to...

Rondo
Bradley/Williams
Green
Bass/Sully
2013 pick or FA/Randolph

If you were a FA who would you rather play with?

Two things

1.) This is a move more for next year to maximize KG and Paul's final year of their career. I thought that's what everyone on this board wanted and that's what I want.

2.) I don't quite get the love affair with this Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sully future foursome.  That (at least to me) is just not a good team. If they win 30 games, I'd be surprised.

If the Celts could resign Gortat after next season, then
I am not sure how a foursome of Gortat, Jefferson, Bradley and Beasley is any worse than Rondo, Bradley, Green and Sully.

Not to mention, the Celts can just pick up a decent pg along the way either through draft, free agency or trade.

And Shavlik Randolph??? Really? ???

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 11:06:43 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Who plays PG?

Well, if the Celts had a point guard like Tony Parker, we'd be all set. But we don't. Rondo is decent, but he's no Tony Parker.

Chalmers is decent. Rondo is good to great in the playoffs. I don't get just adding big men and still leaving a problem with the ball handling, which proved to be MAJOR in the playoffs.