Author Topic: Hypothetical: Pierce for Amar'e?  (Read 2741 times)

Hypothetical: Pierce for Amar'e?
« on: May 27, 2013, 12:29:47 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Not sure if the Celts and Knicks would agree to a deal, but if they did, do you think they would consider swapping Paul for Amar'e?

For the Knicks, they escape from the final 2 years of Stoudemire's contract. They can start Shumpert at SG, Pierce at SF and Melo at PF.

For the Celts, IF Amar'e is healthy (I know, a big if) he and KG could combine for a very deadly front court.

Re: Hypothetical: Pierce for Amar'e?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 12:31:50 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I would despise that. Amar'e is the worst contract in the league, let the Knicks sink
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 12:41:13 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I am not one of those that hates Amar'e, but this deal really does nothing for us. It gives us a worse player on a worse contract than Pierce who is on the verge of being washed up. And this doesn't even factor in the sentimental aspect in getting rid of Pierce.

Amar'e is the type of player you use the LLE on in two years, as he would provide a spark off the bench or be a spot starter.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 12:51:51 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I am not one of those that hates Amar'e, but this deal really does nothing for us. It gives us a worse player on a worse contract than Pierce who is on the verge of being washed up. And this doesn't even factor in the sentimental aspect in getting rid of Pierce.

Amar'e is the type of player you use the LLE on in two years, as he would provide a spark off the bench or be a spot starter.

Well, that certainly could be the case. The flip side to that is he comes back next season and resembles the all-star he was in his days with Phoenix.

Also, let's not forget, he does only have 2 years left. Yeah that's not ideal but it's also not turrible (to quote Chuck Barkley.)

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 01:15:14 PM »

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Seems to be a new love jones for Amar'e here.
Loyalty Is Royalty

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 01:15:58 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
If going this route I'd much rather take on a contract like Boozer who will actually suit up for most games.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 01:16:39 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Damaged goods why would we trade for him.  He has no knees left.  This is hypothetically bad.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I would love to see Paul Pierce (SF) play alongside Carmelo Anthony (PF) in that New York Knicks system. That would be a really fun alignment.

I think this move could help the Celtics if Amare could stay healthy for a full season but I reckon Amare is too much of a question mark physically at this point to take this risk. Unfortunately.

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 01:26:25 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Amare is by far a worse player, a bigger injury concern, and has a worse contract which is uninsured. I say a big time no to this.

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 01:29:24 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Terrible move for a team so close to rebuilding. 

Do not take on longer contracts of shell of former players.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 01:37:39 PM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
smh  :-\

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 01:56:21 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
You know I'd take Amare's 2 years if Garnett decided to retire. Of course I'd make the Knicks pay for taking on the worst contract in the league.

Something like Pierce/Bass for Amare/Shumpert and the #24 pick this year and their 2nd rounder next year.

That would probably be too steep for them but it wouldn't bother me if they said no :)

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 02:25:59 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
You know I'd take Amare's 2 years if Garnett decided to retire. Of course I'd make the Knicks pay for taking on the worst contract in the league.

Something like Pierce/Bass for Amare/Shumpert and the #24 pick this year and their 2nd rounder next year.

That would probably be too steep for them but it wouldn't bother me if they said no :)

I don't think the Knicks would deal Shumpert as he's turned out to be a pretty good player for them. BUT, if they agreed to what you've proposed, sign me up!

Shumpert is basically Paul Pierce, only years younger and better at this stage.

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 03:43:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Honestly, if there is any team in the league poised to take on Amar'e, it's the Knicks. They are already a somewhat aging team in 'win-now' mode. Amar'e does have the potential to have some success in the next couple of years and NY could very well use that edge. It would be really stupid of them to trade assets just to get rid of a player that could be really big for them.

I get that maybe they would rather have a player like Pierce, but not at the expense of their other younger players / draft picks.

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 03:53:02 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Not sure if the Celts and Knicks would agree to a deal, but if they did, do you think they would consider swapping Paul for Amar'e?

For the Knicks, they escape from the final 2 years of Stoudemire's contract. They can start Shumpert at SG, Pierce at SF and Melo at PF.

For the Celts, IF Amar'e is healthy (I know, a big if) he and KG could combine for a very deadly front court.
There is no way the Knicks do not do this. Paul for Amare is an incredibly lopsided deal. It would be better for the Celtics to not pick up Pierce's option than to be stuck with Amare's contract. Amare brings negative value to a team.