Author Topic: The Spurs show we should run it back  (Read 23796 times)

Re: The Spurs show we should run it back
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2013, 10:52:48 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Celtics need a catch and shoot guy to be back at the level of the Spurs. Also if we could convince pierce to come off the bench then yes, we could be the spurs. Need a big man as well though, but if we could have pierce off the bench like Manu that would be a huge help.

Who in the spurs is a catch and shoot guy? Bonner? If thats the case, Kyle Korver can be our Bonner.
We need scorers that are decent defenders.

Kawhi Leonard type, Danny Green type players. Not stars, but just really good role players.

And we need a Tiago Splitter kind of guy, I'm thinking Gortat? John Henson could be our Splitter.

Pierce could be our Ginobilli

Duncan = KG

Parker = Rondo

« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2013, 10:59:04 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Who in the spurs is a catch and shoot guy? Bonner? If thats the case, Kyle Korver can be our Bonner.

Just getting Korver is way easier said than done
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2013, 11:01:20 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

Just stop trying to rebuttal everything I say.
Would you? It's annoying as crap. Whats your problem?

You just pick and choose a sentence out of a whole post just to argue.

Get a life.

Plus.
My post was hypothetical.
And I wasn't talking to you. That was in reply to WeMadeIt17.

« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2013, 11:24:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
As others have said, there are enormous, glaring differences between the Spurs' roster and ours.

The biggest thing to me is that the Spurs have a lot of size and versatility.  They can play any style and match up with nearly any team.  They are really effective both offensively and defensively. 

Most importantly, the Spurs have an MVP candidate leading the way for them, a guy who on the tail end of his athletic prime, in Tony Parker.  That's something the Celtics don't have, with all due respect to Rajon Rondo and Paul Pierce.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2013, 11:28:39 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Timo I would say Danny green is a catch a shoot guy as well. And yes if we could get korver that would be great

« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2013, 11:32:14 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I just dont see how you can say KG is right there with Duncan at this point in both their careers.

I think trying to say which is 'better' than the other becomes almost a matter of taste.

Well, OK, but according to the 'taste' of most head coaches, sportswriters and other NBA analysts, Duncan is a far better player than KG as of right now.

Like PJ said, Duncan was 1st team All-NBA and 2nd team All-Defense. He also finished 7th in MVP voting. KG was not even really on the map for those awards.

So if according to your taste KG is equal, that's obviously OK, but you have to recognize that it is a minority opinion.

« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2013, 11:34:54 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Timo I would say Danny green is a catch a shoot guy as well. And yes if we could get korver that would be great

Danny Green can catch and shoot, yes, but he's more than that, he can drive and run and defend, but that boy can shoot the lights out.

So hypothetically we'll if we need someone like him, we kind of already do in Courtney Lee, but Lee has been struggling hard.

They're both Athletic SG's that can shoot. Man I hope courtney lee steps it up next season.

« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2013, 11:36:27 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
Yeah I agree lee could definitely play his role

« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2013, 11:39:09 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Get a life.

Plus.

I think what CC was implying is that in a thread asking how we compare to the Spurs, saying "we'd be more like the Spurs if we just got more guys like the Spurs have" doesn't add a lot, without more specifics.

It seems like a valid observation. I'm not sure what else has been going on between you two, and I don't really want to know, but I don't see it as an outsider as something too argumentative for its own sake.

« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2013, 11:40:19 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
if u all are watching the spurs right now and are saying the talent between us and the spurs is comparable idk what to tell u.

« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2013, 11:49:01 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

Get a life.

Plus.

I think what CC was implying is that in a thread asking how we compare to the Spurs, saying "we'd be more like the Spurs if we just got more guys like the Spurs have" doesn't add a lot, without more specifics.

It seems like a valid observation. I'm not sure what else has been going on between you two, and I don't really want to know, but I don't see it as an outsider as something too argumentative for its own sake.

What I was discussing with WeMadeit17 was comparisons and it was all hypothetical, I wasn't saying that we should do it. All I was doing was comparing players, and trying to name players that is comparable to the spurs players.

« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2013, 11:58:39 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
The talent difference i believe is very comparable. KG could easily avg. 15ppg and 8 rebounds as duncan did. Rondo if healthy is capable of what tony does. Pierce can do what Manu does as well. I think what we are missing which from what i have said and same with timo is our role players. We needed them this year. Really thats what this team was built on this year. Guys like Sully and Rondo being healthy, Pierce and KG doing their normal things, JG stepping up (which he did), and Role players like Lee,Terry,AB,and Crawford being able to step in and score and play D. Only a few of those things happened and thats where you get the difference.

« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2013, 12:09:32 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
The talent difference i believe is very comparable. KG could easily avg. 15ppg and 8 rebounds as duncan did. Rondo if healthy is capable of what tony does. Pierce can do what Manu does as well. I think what we are missing which from what i have said and same with timo is our role players. We needed them this year. Really thats what this team was built on this year. Guys like Sully and Rondo being healthy, Pierce and KG doing their normal things, JG stepping up (which he did), and Role players like Lee,Terry,AB,and Crawford being able to step in and score and play D. Only a few of those things happened and thats where you get the difference.

no we can't and that's why we had a lovely first round exit
TP is much better than Rondo right now because Rondo just isn't consistent. I think he's getting there though. KG and duncan...sure...but TD just did great things this series. He also looks a step ahead of KG. And if you want to put PP on the bench, I'm so cool with that.
You're also forgetting how the Spurs have a coach that's lightyears ahead of ours. They're also kind of deep...oh and big.
Spurs are much better than the Cs. And unless we want to put Paul on the bench, DEMAND a consistent game from Rondo, feature JG more and get a coach who's not stuck on being loyal to 2-3 guys, then sure, we can be better than the Spurs.

« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2013, 12:11:10 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
if u all are watching the spurs right now and are saying the talent between us and the spurs is comparable idk what to tell u.

I'm with ya man.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2013, 12:14:13 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I just dont see how you can say KG is right there with Duncan at this point in both their careers.

I think trying to say which is 'better' than the other becomes almost a matter of taste.

Well, OK, but according to the 'taste' of most head coaches, sportswriters and other NBA analysts, Duncan is a far better player than KG as of right now.

Like PJ said, Duncan was 1st team All-NBA and 2nd team All-Defense. He also finished 7th in MVP voting. KG was not even really on the map for those awards.

So if according to your taste KG is equal, that's obviously OK, but you have to recognize that it is a minority opinion.

Don't really care.

To me, a lot of this whole thread keeps waiving over the obvious.  It is silly to compare the teams based on KG vs Duncan, PP vs Manu, Rondo vs Parker and so on using this last season as the comparison basis, considering that outside of KG & PP, none of the principles on the C's were even 'all there' for the whole season. 

There can be no real comparison between the Spurs this year and the Celtics this year because the Celtics didn't really HAVE their whole team for anything but about 12 games in the middle of the season, while the Spurs had most of their main rotation for most of the regular season and most importantly now, in the playoffs.  The C's didn't have Bradley or the 'good' Jeff Green in the first half and they didn't have Sully or Rondo in the second half.  They were basically a crippled roster one way or another all season.

The Spurs were very simply a much better TEAM this year and I don't think that can be questioned. 

Comparing how well KG or any individual played between two teams with such radically different fortunes seems dubious at an exacting level.   Team effects DO effect how the individuals perform, even elite superstars.  And it also most definitely affects how fans / writers / coaches perceive players.  So I'm not particularly worried about whether my opinion is 'minority' or not.  I detailed the basis for my opinion and I'll stand by it.

The OP's premise, flawed or not, should only be viewed from the hopeful lens of how well the proposed lineups (on either team) might fair if healthy and performing at at least their recent nominal performance ratings.  On who we think those players will be next season, if healthy and integrated.    Not on how things went during a bizarrely broken season.

Viewed that way, sure, the OPs premise might still not hold water.   Or maybe it does.  But the criticisms that are based purely on how crappy THIS year went for the C's don't particularly impress me.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.