Author Topic: Glen Rice Jr is a surprisingly good shooter...we should consider this kid  (Read 1763 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
So Mr Rice apparently really has gotten his act together after being kicked off Georgia Tech.

I'm starting to think if someone like Shabazz doesn't drop to 16 that Danny should consider trading down and nabbing him.

Looking at his D League stats- the guy has insane range and during the regular season shot at a clip of 38.5% on 59 attempts.
To give an NBA comparison, Ryan Anderson, considered a top 5 shooter in the NBA shot 38.2 % over 557 attempts this season.
obviously that's a tonne more shots and tougher defense but Rice has a beautiful stroke coming off the dribble and in catch and shoot situations. His dad was consistently a top 10 3 pt shooter too, and that was in the days of Dana Barros, Steve Kerr and Nick Anderson.
6'6" tall and long arms, he's reminding me of Kevin Martin but with a better stroke and much more defensive ability- he can also get to the hole although his handle needs a bit of work. Seems like a very good running mate with Rondo because he can run the floor and finish, but also can shoot the lights out from anywhere on the court.
As a starter in the D league playoffs he averaged 43%.

Anyone else keen on this guy if we don't get a bargain who drops to us?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5E_IpKjowQ
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:59:01 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
His BBIQ isn't all that high, according to some reports. It also says that he is a streaky shooter and has a poor shot selection. His potential is probably one of the lowest among other possible first round choices as well.

+ the maturity/discipline issues, and I think I'd shy away from him at the 16th. Maybe if he's available for a late first/early second, we could trade to get him.

I think there are other players more valuable than him at the 16th.
I like Marcus Smart

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
He's not my fave necessarily, but as a general observation this draft is FULL of guys like this: flawed players with one or two very good skills.

If you read different mocks it is not unusual to see one project a guy in the teens, and another have him in the 30s. Rice is at 26 on DE and 34 in NBAdraft.net.

What this tells me is that there is a ton of variation in opinions in the 15-35 range, and not much decline in talent/potential.

A couple of very talented players are going to fall into the late first round, or early second, and we should snag one or two of them IMO. We have some roster flexibility and could have more depending on the whole Pierce situation.

I see Rice as at the high end of that group, with Muscala, Ledo, Snell, Wolters, Hardaway, Goodwin, Withey, Bullock, Crabbe and several others.

I'm not making any specific predictions but I would bet that a couple of those guys turn out to be legit players.

So I very much agree with your general idea: two picks in the 20s-30s might end up being much better than one pick at 16. It gives us two rolls of the dice instead of one, at pretty much the same average level of talent.

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Somewhat off topic but I wonder if Cleveland would trade us their 31st and 33rd for our 16th..
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
He's not my fave necessarily, but as a general observation this draft is FULL of guys like this: flawed players with one or two very good skills.

If you read different mocks it is not unusual to see one project a guy in the teens, and another have him in the 30s. Rice is at 26 on DE and 34 in NBAdraft.net.

What this tells me is that there is a ton of variation in opinions in the 15-35 range, and not much decline in talent/potential.

A couple of very talented players are going to fall into the late first round, or early second, and we should snag one or two of them IMO. We have some roster flexibility and could have more depending on the whole Pierce situation.

I see Rice as at the high end of that group, with Muscala, Ledo, Snell, Wolters, Hardaway, Goodwin, Withey, Bullock, Crabbe and several others.

I'm not making any specific predictions but I would bet that a couple of those guys turn out to be legit players.

So I very much agree with your general idea: two picks in the 20s-30s might end up being much better than one pick at 16. It gives us two rolls of the dice instead of one, at pretty much the same average level of talent.

good analysis of the draft. for rice, i watched the video so that is my only really basis for judgement....limited for sure.

but in the video i was really surprised by how little rice cares about defense. when he has the ball and is the key, he performs. but on defense, boxing out - those things a team basketball player needs to do - i did not seem them. combined with his troubles staying on a team in college, and i wonder about his approach to team play.

doc would never let this guy off the bench since he doesnt play defense.

pass on rice, thank you.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Somewhat off topic but I wonder if Cleveland would trade us their 31st and 33rd for our 16th..

Great idea, I was thinking this today actually- which teams we could poach two picks from... the draft is so backloaded.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I like GR I'd take him with 16
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I like Hardaway JR. better.