Author Topic: Supposed rumor between NO and BOS  (Read 23064 times)

Re: Supposed rumor between NO and BOS
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2013, 02:03:07 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Can Eric Gordon stay healthy though? The guy has shown that he can be a bright star in the NBA. He plays really good defense too so he's not a big setback for Bradley defensively.

But boy did this kid is owed 13 million dollars. If he can't be on the floor, that's a lot of money to eat the cap.

I'd love him here if he stays healthy.

The answer to your first question is the only reason that he may be available. Obviously New Orleans doesn't think he can stay healthy or they wouldn't even consider trading him.  BTW according to this link they really aren't...

https://twitter.com/JimmySmith504/statuses/336876506297012225

« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2013, 02:23:13 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Not loving it.

Gordon, to me, is a wash in value with Bradley as is.   And Gordon's health and contract scare me.

Yes, Gordon has more history as a successful scorer.  But his shooting has declined the last few years.   And his defense is nothing remotely close to Bradley's.

And Bradley still has a lot of upside potential.

I just don't see this as a particularly compelling deal.

If you are doing this to retool for the present, Gordon doesn't represent enough 'bang' worth giving up Pierce & Bradley for.

If you are doing this to rebuild for the future, I don't see Gordon's upside as much more compelling than Bradley's - especially given the giant contract.

It just doesn't seem to me like the type of deal Danny would do.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2013, 02:36:26 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
No thanks. Eric Gordon can't stay healthy. Too risky.

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2013, 03:10:16 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I think it's a very good trade for the celtics. Those who think it's not are totally overvaluing Pierce and Bradley. Pierce is an expiring contract right now, that's his only value. Bradley is an undersized SG with major flaws, which got exposed this year. Gordon, with all his overblown injury history, is a very talented scorer and distributor, and the celtics have had major struggles in that department. He would be a huge upgrade at the SG position and is very young. I think you have to make this trade if available.

« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2013, 03:20:37 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Can Eric Gordon stay healthy though? The guy has shown that he can be a bright star in the NBA. He plays really good defense too so he's not a big setback for Bradley defensively.

But boy did this kid is owed 13 million dollars. If he can't be on the floor, that's a lot of money to eat the cap.

I'd love him here if he stays healthy.

The answer to your first question is the only reason that he may be available. Obviously New Orleans doesn't think he can stay healthy or they wouldn't even consider trading him.  BTW according to this link they really aren't...

https://twitter.com/JimmySmith504/statuses/336876506297012225

The reason there have been rumors for a year now that they are trying to trade him is because he has indicated that he doesn't want to stay on their team. He's kept quite about it lately because it hurt his trade value but he has clearly expressed previously that he wants no part of being a hornet/pelican

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2013, 03:58:21 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
If this rumor is true, it causes me to shake my head at Boston's seeming fascination with injury-prone players. I realize that injuries can happen to anyone at any time, but after all the snake biting this team's been through in the last five years, I'd think they'd want to go after only those players who have no history of major injuries.

Idk if its a fascination with injury prone players or just maxing out what we have with less than great assets. As much as I would love to net a big name guy who's already an established all-star, the truth is thayt we just don't have the pieces to pull it off. I mean we have #16 in a weak draft, AB (a defensive stud but still a gigantic question mark on the offensive end), Paul's partially guaranteed deal, an injured Rondo, and a ton of overpaid role players who didn't exactly light it up last year.

Getting a young guy who, yes - been injured often, but has shown he can play in this league might just be the best deal we can do.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2013, 04:11:02 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I think it's a very good trade for the celtics. Those who think it's not are totally overvaluing Pierce and Bradley. Pierce is an expiring contract right now, that's his only value. Bradley is an undersized SG with major flaws, which got exposed this year. Gordon, with all his overblown injury history, is a very talented scorer and distributor, and the celtics have had major struggles in that department. He would be a huge upgrade at the SG position and is very young. I think you have to make this trade if available.

Wait - Avery Bradley (6' 2")  is an undersized SG?

But Eric Gordon (6' 2") is not?

Avery Bradley has 'major flaws' that were exposed?  Sure, if you think inconsistent shooting  coming off double shoulder surgery and a long lay-off and then playing out of position represents a fundamental 'major flaw'?   Odds are just as good that his shooting woes will mediate out as he gets further from the surgery.   Looking at his longer term numbers (NBA, D-League, NCAA & H.S.), Bradley likely figures to settle somewhere around a 35-38% 3PT shooter and an 75-80% FT shooter.  If that happens, what are his 'major flaws'?

Eric Gordon, meanwhile, has also been an inconsistent, streaky shooter - with no shoulder surgery excuse, though he certainly has had his share of injuries.   His shooting percentages have slumped the last couple of years and indeed, this last year he shot about the same as Bradley did!

Gordon:  45% eFG%,  32% 3P%
Bradley:  44% eFG%   32% 3P%

Gordon shot better in his first couple of years.  But more recently he is supporting his scoring with volume shooting, not efficiency.

And defensively there is simply no comparison - Bradley blows him out of the water on defense.

Ultimately, if you want to some how give Gordon some marginal edge in value (for what reason I can't figure out) - is it worth paying 13-15M each year over the next few years?

That seems nuts.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2013, 04:13:50 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
lol what's a supposed rumor? Aren't all rumors supposed? :P
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2013, 04:16:46 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

6'3", 215 pounds vs 6'2", 180 pounds.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3431/eric-gordon

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4240/avery-bradley

I can understand the reluctance to invest in Gordon. But, he has averaged 20 points for two seasons.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2013, 04:18:27 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

At the combine they measured the same 6' 2" w/o shoes and 6' 3.25" with shoes.

Gordon is definitely a stronger player, just more heft.

« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2013, 04:21:58 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

At the combine they measured the same 6' 2" w/o shoes and 6' 3.25" with shoes.

Aha.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2013, 04:22:36 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Avery Bradley has 'major flaws' that were exposed?  Sure, if you think inconsistent shooting  coming off double shoulder surgery and a long lay-off and then playing out of position represents a fundamental 'major flaw'?   Odds are just as good that his shooting woes will mediate out as he gets further from the surgery.   Looking at his longer term numbers (NBA, D-League, NCAA & H.S.), Bradley likely figures to settle somewhere around a 35-38% 3PT shooter and an 75-80% FT shooter.  If that happens, what are his 'major flaws'?

Eric Gordon, meanwhile, has also been an inconsistent, streaky shooter - with no shoulder surgery excuse, though he certainly has had his share of injuries.   His shooting percentages have slumped the last couple of years and indeed, this last year he shot about the same as Bradley did!

Gordon:  45% eFG%,  32% 3P%
Bradley:  44% eFG%   32% 3P%

Gordon shot better in his first couple of years.  But more recently he is supporting his scoring with volume shooting, not efficiency.

And defensively there is simply no comparison - Bradley blows him out of the water on defense.

Ultimately, if you want to some how give Gordon some marginal edge in value (for what reason I can't figure out) - is it worth paying 13-15M each year over the next few years?

That seems nuts.

Gordon has about 25-30 lbs on Avery. That does make a difference.

And that stretch last year where Gordon played so-so offensively is about the same amount of time Avery played well for us offensively during the end of the 11/12 season.  The biggest difference is that Eric has played at a near all-star level and has been able to sustain it.  Avery? Well, I'm starting to wonder if that break out was just a Jeremy Lin-like hot streak. There's no questioning his defensive ability, but on the other end there's still tons of questions and concerns.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2013, 04:24:58 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

You're wrong.  That's not why I don't like it at all.  You have a young kid making alot of money who can't seem to stay healthy.  That's why I don't like it.  If he continues with his injuries he kills your cap space for several years.   There's a reason why New Orleans is possibly willing to move him.  It's dumb risk to take......

« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2013, 04:28:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Gordon has about 25-30 lbs on Avery. That does make a difference.

It does help him finish through contact and get to the line. But I don't think it helps him defensively, biggers SGs can still post Gordon up and/or shoot over him.

« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2013, 04:37:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
this trade smells like huge pile of fresh dung.   DA mut have slamed the phone so hard your could hear it a mile away.

I wouldn't trade either PP or AB for Gordon,  the most famous player to have never done anything ,to prove how great he is other than just be "ERIC GORDON" , Mr INJURY  with worse attitude than DWill.