Poll

What should the Celtics organisation do?

Let Rondo and KG have one more ride, with or without Pierce.
9 (25.7%)
Complete tank/lottery/pray for top 3 pick +acquire more picks mode
6 (17.1%)
Mini Rebuild: Tank next season while Rondo recovers, get top 3 pick, sign FA's to create a new Celtics contender
13 (37.1%)
None of the above.
7 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: So what's Danny's plan next season? What do you think we should do?  (Read 7960 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Heading in to next season, with a monstrous draft coming up
What is our best plan of action?
 There are three options. If you don't agree with any of them, what do you think we should do. I pick option 3. I think we should roll the dice on getting Wiggins or Parker if we want to compete with Miami and OKC. We already have Rondo+capspace. We have Sully and we have assets in Avery, Green and Crawford.

Here's our options:

1) "Rondo's return +KG's last dance
Keep KG around as a stretch 4 or 5 and let him have 9 months off to have surgery/recover until after all star break, then let him finish his contract with Rondo. Hopefully we can dump Pierce's deal and sign a free agent big or scorer. If we can't dump Pierce for assets and sign a decent FA then let him and KG have one last hoorah with Rondo. We probably make playoffs with or without Pierce, and if we replace Pierce with two decent scorers we potentially finish top 4, but don't have enough to get past Miami again.

2)"Complete tank/reset/overhaul mode"

let them both go and TANK hard for the super draft in 2014. Let Rondo and Green lead us to a bottom 3 standing in the East. Then, trade Green + Avery and replace him with a legit superstar in the 2014 draft. If we get the right deal, trade Rondo too and get 2-3 picks including our own lottery pick in that same draft...
Basically move Rondo, Green, Avery, Crawford for as many picks as we can, and as high in the draft as we can.

3)"Mini Re-build"
Similar to above, but in the vein of Duncan's rookie year at San Antonio, let both Pierce and KG go and tank while Rondo recovers.
Let Green, Avery, Sully,Crawford, Melo all build their trade value and naturally tank while Rondo is resting.
Ensure we are one of the bottom 3 teams, preferably last.
Bink a top 3 pick (hopefully number one or two) and sign Wiggins or Parker, whichever we can get.
Snag a potential Paul Pierce replacement and potential superstar to pair with Rondo, meanwhile trading our assets (Green, Avery, Crawford) for top 15-20 picks in the same draft- or somehow package Green, Sully +Avery for DeMarcus Cousins.
Come back 2015 with
*Rondo
*top 3 2014 draft pick (wing player)
*DMC or solid big man
*another pick netting us a scoring 2 guard that can control the game with Rondo
* plenty of money for 1 or 2 elite level free agents.

A lot of people will say TANK. I'm not sure how easy or hard it will be to watch this team rebuild and we haven't had the best luck in the draft- but tanking one season to get once in every 10 year kind of players like Wiggins or Parker (Lebron and Melo comparisons) might be worth it. I would be in favor of a mini rebuild that proposes tanking next season and rebuilding with a lottery pick, trading for a big and/or picks and letting Rondo captain a team that can make Rondo a contender for the last 4-5 years of his career. I have confidence that Ainge could sign some solid free agents with all our cap space, whilst nabbing a superstar or a rookie deal.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 10:18:03 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: So what's Danny's plan next season? What do you think we should do?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 10:16:15 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I'm just gonna say, I can't fathom missing the playoffs. I'm sure lots of fans don't like to watch a tanking team.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 10:16:53 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Danny wasnt even happy with our 2010 team where we went 39-10 at the beginning with shaq diesel. he traded away perk and krypto-nate.... imagine how happy you think he is with our team this year?

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 10:18:22 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
No point keeping Garnett if Pierce isn't here.

Either keep both of them or dump both of them. Their futures should be tied to one another.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 10:34:59 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Either keep both of them or dump both of them. Their futures should be tied to one another.

This, either we go on One Final Stand and reload or start the rebuilding and start collecting assets around Rondo and Green.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 10:36:04 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

This, either we go on One Final Stand and reload or start the rebuilding and start collecting assets around Rondo and Green.

I feel like we've been going "One Final Stand" for the last 3 years. At some point we legitimately have to move on.

Just an observation.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 10:50:20 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557

I feel like we've been going "One Final Stand" for the last 3 years. At some point we legitimately have to move on.

Just an observation.

yep. i cannot argue with that.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 10:54:07 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Depends on how you define "dump". If you could flip Paul for a decent younger player then adding that player to a Rondo/Green/Sullinger/Garnett core seems like a decent idea.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 11:02:03 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
I'm just gonna say, I can't fathom missing the playoffs. I'm sure lots of fans don't like to watch a tanking team.

That's fair enough, but this draft comes at a perfect time for us to do this. The timing is absolutely perfect. One crappy season to give Rondo a young superstar to work with for rest of his career...
Think about Rondo
+capspace
+Parker or Wiggins
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 11:11:02 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Depends on how you define "dump". If you could flip Paul for a decent younger player then adding that player to a Rondo/Green/Sullinger/Garnett core seems like a decent idea.

If there's any truth to that rumor of Pierce for Barnes and filler, then Ainge is certainly looking around.

However, I don't think there's any way that Ainge could purge the roster of enough talent (without taking on massive future salary commitments) to put the team into the top half of the lottery. The draft class of 2014 may be historic, but the only way the Celtics will be able to get a shot at a top 5 pick is by pulling off a lopsided trade with a basement team, or by a miracle bounce of the ping-pong balls.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 11:42:58 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

If there's any truth to that rumor of Pierce for Barnes and filler, then Ainge is certainly looking around.

However, I don't think there's any way that Ainge could purge the roster of enough talent (without taking on massive future salary commitments) to put the team into the top half of the lottery. The draft class of 2014 may be historic, but the only way the Celtics will be able to get a shot at a top 5 pick is by pulling off a lopsided trade with a basement team, or by a miracle bounce of the ping-pong balls.

If we cut Garnett and Pierce, and Rondo sits out half a season- we are easily in contention for a lottery spot.

Dump KG, Pierce, Terry.
Starting five of

Bradley
Lee
Green
Bass
Shav or Melo

Crawford sixth man.

That's easily a lotto team. Even if we keep Terry and Bass and give both of them significant minutes, that team is barely better than the Kings or Bobcats.
Doc can give Melo 30 minutes a night. He can move Crawford or Lee  because of their age. Without KG, Rondo and Pierce we have nothing except Jeff Green showing up once every 3 games.

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 11:46:53 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

If we cut Garnett and Pierce, and Rondo sits out half a season- we are easily in contention for a lottery spot.

Dump KG, Pierce, Terry.
Starting five of

Bradley
Lee
Green
Bass
Shav or Melo

Crawford sixth man.

That's easily a lotto team. Even if we keep Terry and Bass and give both of them significant minutes, that team is barely better than the Kings or Bobcats.

Suns, Magic, and Pelicans are also all worse. And, why wouldn't those teams, and a few others, not also try to race to the bottom?

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 11:54:57 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

Dump KG, Pierce, Terry.
Starting five of

Bradley
Lee
Green
Bass
Shav or Melo

Crawford sixth man.

Suns, Magic, and Pelicans are also all worse. And, why wouldn't those teams, and a few others, not also try to race to the bottom?

Actually I think you're wrong.
Do you see us beating the Magic or Pelicans with that squad?
It's utter garbage. Our best player is Green with Avery Bradley as the second option. Very horrid.
Of course there will be a race to the bottom, but why not gamble when there are two game changers to be had?
I'd rather that then go after Josh Smith and get owned by the Heat and Bulls for the next 6-7 years.

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 11:57:06 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

That's fair enough, but this draft comes at a perfect time for us to do this. The timing is absolutely perfect. One crappy season to give Rondo a young superstar to work with for rest of his career...
Think about Rondo
+capspace
+Parker or Wiggins
exactly... and if not either of those, you still have aaron gordon, julius randle, dakari johnson, and the harrison twins in the lottery.

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 12:04:07 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Of course there will be a race to the bottom, but why not gamble when there are two game changers to be had?

The gamble didn't pay off the last two times the Celtics tanked for a top lottery pick.