Author Topic: Treys tonight  (Read 1896 times)

Treys tonight
« on: March 18, 2013, 09:34:42 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
How many threes can we hit? We shot a blistering percentage last game.

I believe, if we're hitting our threes, we're unstoppable.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Re: Treys tonight
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 11:47:25 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Well, it's probably a factor that the Bobcats are second worst in the NBA at defending the 3PT shot - opponents are shooting 39% from beyond the arc against them this year.

The Heat are a little above average at it, opponents are shooting 35.2% (league average is 35.9%).   During this win streak, of course, they've been pretty stingy.

For February and March combined, the Heat have held opponents to 33.4% 3PT shooting.  In the 10 games of March, they've held them to just 29.6%.

To flip it around:  The Heat have been shooting 3s  at a very good 38.8% in February and March.

Meanwhile, the C's for the season have shot 3s at a mediocre 35.4% but held opponents to a stingy 33.4%.

But, over the course of February and March, the C's have shot a blistering 40.2% while holding opponents to just 29.1% from beyond the arc.

This will, indeed be a key part of the game.

Especially with KG likely sitting out.   If we have any hope of winning it, we need to win the battle at the arc.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 11:54:06 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
What team isn't unstoppable when they're hitting their "treys"

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 12:19:40 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170

I thought this was about Miami's 3's actually. We need to scare them off that 3 point line. It's gonna be hard though because they spread you out so thin on the perimeter. As for our looks we're near the bottom of the league in 3pt shooting in terms of attempts. It's not what we do. We just need to get good shots whatver they are and run when possible.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 01:42:32 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I thought this was about Miami's 3's actually. We need to scare them off that 3 point line. It's gonna be hard though because they spread you out so thin on the perimeter. As for our looks we're near the bottom of the league in 3pt shooting in terms of attempts. It's not what we do. We just need to get good shots whatver they are and run when possible.

Well, season stats have to be taken with a grain of salt.  As several of our shooters have emerged from various slumps, the rate at which we are attempting 3PT shots has risen.

Back in Oct-Nov, we barely took 14 per game.  But in February we averaged 18.9 per game and in March we have averaged 16.8 per game.

So we are now taking a lot more 3s than it would appear if you just look at season totals.   We still don't take anything close to 'league leading' number of attempts.  But fairly close to league average.  And probably a little above that if you pace-adjust.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 03:48:35 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
What team isn't unstoppable when they're hitting their "treys"

Yeah that was my first thought. I'd say containing Miami 3's is more important

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 03:49:54 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Who cares about us?  Miami is who we should be watching.  We aren't a 3pt shooting team.  We have Pierce and Terry.

Miami on the other hand is much more capable of creating wide open 3s, and has tons of amazing 40% shooters in Chalmers, Ray, Battier, LeBron, Lewis, and Miller.

It's of vital importance we keep them shooting contested shots.  If any of their big 3 is drawing and kicking they can heat up much faster than we can.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 03:57:09 PM by mgent »
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Who cares about us?  Miami is who we should be watching.  We aren't a 3pt shooting team.  We have Pierce and Terry.

Miami on the other hand is much capable of creating wide open 3s, and have tons of amazing 40% shooters in Chalmers, Ray, Battier, LeBron, Lewis, and Miller.

It's of vital importance we keep them shooting contested shots.  If any of their big 3 is drawing and kicking they can heat up much faster than we can.
Miami's blitzing defense will give up open three point looks, and given how good they are you have to make them pay for it.

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 04:09:04 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Miami on the other hand is much capable of creating wide open 3s, and have tons of amazing 40% shooters in Chalmers, Ray, Battier, LeBron, Lewis, and Miller.

Miami's blitzing defense will give up open three point looks, and given how good they are you have to make them pay for it.
While keeping in mind they're always trying to bait you into that crosscourt pass so LeBron or Wade can jump up and get a guaranteed 2 points.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I'm not worried about us making threes, what we need to do is attack the rim and glass. The thing we need to be worried about is limiting their threes. If we limit them on the perimeter along with D Wade we win...if we don't it'll be a long night.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 04:46:35 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

While keeping in mind they're always trying to bait you into that crosscourt pass so LeBron or Wade can jump up and get a guaranteed 2 points.
Yes they are, but cross-court passes aren't really how you generate threes against Miami most of the time.

Instead its just good ball movement when they trap, blitz, and attack. They rely on rotations getting too shooters even more than the C's do. If they don't rotate quickly, (or even if they do and the ball moves well) you'll get an open shot hopefully a 3.

Of course executing those passes is the hard part, which is why they're a tough defensive team most nights.