Author Topic: I want both Pierce and KG to re-sign at Vet's minimum  (Read 5654 times)

I want both Pierce and KG to re-sign at Vet's minimum
« on: February 24, 2013, 11:30:58 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
I think it's pretty clear that both PP & KG have enough money to last 'em the rest of their respective lifetimes. At this point, they should be looking more at residual income, like owning franchise businesses, dividend stock in utility companies, etc, than in expecting the C's to pay 'em an exorbitant salary.

Thus, they should accept the fact that they're no longer spring chickens & re-sign with the C's at Vet's minimum. Let Ainge sign some big contract players, and then, provide that veteran's presence off the bench, and go for a few more titles between ages 36 and 41. I think this retirement idea is nonsense, Parish, Kareem, Miller, and Stockton played into their 40s. PP and KG can do the same.

Re: I want both Pierce and KG to re-sign at Vet's minimum
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:33:38 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
I love the idea of this, but come on. That is over a year away from even consideration.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 11:33:43 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I want a pony.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 11:34:19 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
I think it's pretty clear that both PP & KG have enough money to last 'em the rest of their respective lifetimes. At this point, they should be looking more at residual income, like owning franchise businesses, dividend stock in utility companies, etc, than in expecting the C's to pay 'em an exorbitant salary.

Thus, they should accept the fact that they're no longer spring chickens & re-sign with the C's at Vet's minimum. Let Ainge sign some big contract players, and then, provide that veteran's presence off the bench, and go for a few more titles between ages 36 and 41. I think this retirement idea is nonsense, Parish, Kareem, Miller, and Stockton played into their 40s. PP and KG can do the same.

Lets stop the nonsense

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 11:41:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The C's agreed to pay them their current contracts, they don't owe the organization anything to play at veteran's minimum. If they start playing as veteran's minimum level I'd expect them both to retire.

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 11:42:17 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
That would mean Pierce and KG are stupid.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 11:45:45 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

That's nice.  We all want things that will never happen.

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 12:16:26 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.

Name 1 star player that has done this; take the vet minimum for the betterment of the team.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 12:41:42 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I want to retire. However, Im only 25.

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 03:25:42 AM »

Offline ozman

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
I want a pony.
If u get a pony, I wawn a pony

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 03:50:26 AM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 12:44:08 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
This is stupid. But..

If I ignore the Vet's minimum part and just look at the concept of PP and KG playing well after this season for significantly less money, I can see that as an option. Most guys like to ride off into the sunset after their careers' have tailed off and they can't play at anywhere near the same level anymore, but I could definitely see KG (and maybe Pierce) playing beyond his contract simply because of the love and intensity he has for the game.

If they are willing to take on the physical toll of playing an nba season, then why wouldn't they be interested in playing past their prime. They've both proven enough to solidify their legacies and I don't envision it as one of those cases where its almost sad because the guy doesn't know when to hang it up because they would naturally be taking on significantly smaller roles. Now this wouldn't be for anything near the Vet's minimum, that its totally unrealistic, but if they would take on mid level contracts that you would give to a vet role player (like Terry's for example) why not? Make millions to play the game you love and be on a team that would then potentially have enough cap space to be at the very least an interesting playoff contender. I'd do it.

I don't see it as a realistic possibility, but its nice to dream. Enjoy your pony.

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
i want the vet maximum!
:)

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 01:34:57 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 01:43:10 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Um, ignoring how outrageous the thougt is, is this even an option under the CBA?