Author Topic: KG and Pierce are likely going to Retire as Celtics. How do you feel?  (Read 5340 times)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Let's talk about it.  Last year was probably our last shot at moving Pierce for anything of considerable value (to Brooklyn for a lotto pick that ended up being Damian Lillard... could have also used it on Andre Drummond)

Depending on who you ask, Pierce either killed the deal or the Nets rejected it.  We do know that they ended up trading for Gerald Wallace instead.  As far as I'm concerned, that was our last chance of getting an "impact asset" for Pierce ... and if Pierce killed it, it was never a real option in the first place.

KG was never a realistic trade option, because he was being paid too much.  This year, we signed him to 10 mil a year with a no-trade clause.  Before you lament the fact we gave him a no-trade clause, keep in mind the very distinct possibility KG could have just retired prior to the start of the season.  The no-trade clause was a sign of good faith.  He wasn't taking a 50% pay-cut and busting his ass for this organization just so we could use him as a trade asset midway through the season.

Sounds like there wasn't a huge market this season for Paul Pierce.  Sure, teams would like to have him... but it sounds like they most you could have gotten was KRis Humphries and and a late pick.   Even so, I'm not sure if Pierce would have agreed to report anyways... not when he's already got a foot in retirement.  He didn't have a no-trade clause, but the threat of retirement is a considerable deterrent... and we know Pierce was killing potential Celtic deals as far back as 2005 when he refused to play in Portland (a deal that would have net us an insta-expiring contract and the #3 pick that would have been used to take Chris Paul).   That said, even IF Pierce would have agreed to play in Brooklyn... I wasn't all that anxious to add Kris Kardashian.  Makes more sense to just ride Pierce and then set the team up for cap space when he eventually leaves.  What's your worst-case scenario with cap space? Kris Kardashian? 

So here we are.  The window for "getting assets" for our 36 and 37 year old franchise players is officially closed.  We're stuck with them.  I, for one, am glad.  Nothing we could have gotten for them would have outperformed them.  None of the assets we could have gotten for them would have been drastically more valuable than the inevitable cap space and lottery tanking.   

It's official.  KG and PIerce are retiring as Boston Celtics.  Could happen as soon as this offseason.  Maybe 16 months from now.  But it's happening.  How do you feel about it?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:35:09 PM by LarBrd33 »

Re: KG and Pierce are likely going to Retire as Celtics. How do you feel?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 05:31:09 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
can they retire this year?  ;D

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 05:31:28 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I will feel GREAT about it if it happens but there is still plenty of time for them not to.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 05:33:54 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I'm happy they're green forever
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 05:34:50 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'm happy with it.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 05:38:43 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I think it's not very fun to watch your team get worse every year and now we will watch that for the next 5-6 years.

I really feel this was the last opportunity to start to rebuild this team with assets that could make it a LOT easier. Now we have to hope Rondo and Green get better and Sully comes back 100% and improves.

I don't see this as a good thing, sorry.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 05:38:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
can they retire this year?  ;D
If we limp into the playoffs or miss it entirely, I don't see why not.  I really believe there is a 50/50 chance they both call it quits in a couple months. 

Unfortunately we're saddled with some larger contracts (Green, Bass, Terry, Lee) along with Rondo... so there is no shot at having cap space to replace them with this offseason. 

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 05:40:11 PM »

Offline dinome18

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 7
Happy with no assets for them and 1st round exits..good times. They'll retire with nothing to show for them and no decent free agents that want to come to Boston. Sounds like a recipe for success.  :P

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 05:40:56 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I think it's great the Pierce and KG will end their careers in Boston.  Yeah, it's probably going to make the rebuilding process a bit more difficult...but that's always a crap shoot.  Ainge getting somebody like Crawford for injured Barbosa and Collins makes me feel pretty good that he'll be able to accumulate enough assets to get this team back on top.

Mike

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 05:41:34 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
As they should. Especially Pierce.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 05:42:22 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I don't put as much into pierce and kg retiring celtics as other people. Honestly, I couldn't care less. I want them to stay as long as they're productive, not a second longer.

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 05:42:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I think it's not very fun to watch your team get worse every year and now we will watch that for the next 5-6 years.

I really feel this was the last opportunity to start to rebuild this team with assets that could make it a LOT easier. Now we have to hope Rondo and Green get better and Sully comes back 100% and improves.

I don't see this as a good thing, sorry.

All of that was inevitable, though.  Rare does a team rebuild on the fly successfully.  We always knew we were going to bottom out.

Last year I was shocked we didn't move Ray... and later found out we DID move ray, but the deal fell apart.  It is what it is, though.  These guys are gone in 3-15 months and then we'll either toil away as a 35-45 win team lead by Rondo and Green... or we'll dump those guys for draft picks and try to bottom out.. 

At this point, I'm thinking we try our best to be competitive this year.  I figure KG and Pierce retire.  And on draft day we start shopping Rondo and everyone for draft picks, cap space and young undeveloped assets.  Revisit a trade with the Kings or something.  But "blowing up" the roster will just happen naturally with our legends retiring in Green. 

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 05:45:07 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Hope one of them retires this year so we can sign Smith.

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 05:48:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
No different than I did yesterday when I was convinced both would retire as Celtics.

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 05:48:51 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
How do I feel?

Like Tony The Tiger on his best day, lol.

GRRREEEAAT!

As two players that, IMO, exemplify what it means to wear Celtics Green, I'm happy for them.