Author Topic: Celtics (28-24) at Nuggets (33-21) 2/19  (Read 37162 times)

Celtics (28-24) at Nuggets (33-21) 2/19
« on: February 18, 2013, 04:48:46 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11820
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (28-24) at Denver Nuggets (33-21)
Tuesday, February 19
9:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #53  Road Game #24
TV:  NBA-TV, CSNNE, NBAC, ASE,   
Radio:  WEEI,  104.3 FM
Pepsi Center

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
  vs 
Avery Bradley  vs Ty Lawson

Shooting Guard 

vs 
Courtney Lee  vs Andre Iguodala 

Small Forward
  vs 
Paul Pierce  vs Danilo Gallinari

Power Forward

vs 
Brandon Bass   vs  Kenneth Faried

Center

vs 
Kevin Garnett vs Kosta Koufos 

Celtics Reserves
Jason Terry
Jason Collins
Chris Wilcox
Jeff Green
Fab Melo
Terrence Williams

Injuries
Rajon Rondo (knee) out
Jared Sullinger (back) out
Leandro Barbosa  (knee) out

Denver's Reserves
Corey Brewer
Wilson Chandler
Evan Fournier
Jordan Hamilton
JaVale McGee
Andre Miller
Quincy Miller
 Timofey Mosgov
Anthony Randolph
Julyan Stone

Injuries
None

Team Connections

Brandon Bass and Anthony Randolph both attended LSU
Avery Bradley and Jordan Hamilton both attended Texas
Jason Collins and Corey Brewer were teammates in Minnesota during the 2008-09 season
Jason Terry and Andre Iguodala both attended Arizona
Corey Brewer and Jason Terry were teammates in Dallas during the 2010-11 season
Chris Wilcox and Andre Miller were teammates on the LA Clippers from 2002-05
Wilcox, Wilson Chandler and Danilo Gallinari were teammates in New York during the 2008-09 season.

Game Notes
When last these two teams met 9 days ago, the Celtics were able to win their seventh straight game in a crazy triple overtime affair.  Unfortunately, the 3 overtimes took so much out of the team that the streak ended the next night as they lost to the Bobcats.  The red hot Nuggets their own 9 game win streak stopped by that triple OT loss. 

After the loss to the Bobcats, the Celtics got back on the winning track with a win over the Bulls and so come into this game looking for their second straight win.   The Nuggets, however skidded into the break with 3 straight losses on the road.  They are looking to right the ship as well as to avenge the loss in Boston as they return home again for this game. 

The Celtics are 8-2 in their last 10 games while The Nuggets are 7-3 in their last 10.  The Nuggets have one of the best home court advantages playing in the thin mile high air and boast a 22-3 home record.  The Celtics have struggled somewhat on the road with an 8-15 record.   

This game begins a 5 game road trip for the Celtics and in the back of their minds, I'm sure they will be thinking of having to face the Lakers on Wednesday in yet another back to back set.  The Celtics signed Terrence Ross on Monday but it's not clear whether he will be able to play in this game. 

Key Matchups

vs 
Paul Pierce vs Danilo Gallinari
Gallinari is averaging 17.1 points per game and is capable of hitting shots from the perimeter as well as getting to the basket.  He has a height advantage on Pierce which may make guarding him more difficult for the Captain.   However, Pierce's recent play may make it difficult on Gallo if it continues.  In their last meeting at TD Garden, Pierce put up a triple double of 27 points, 14 rebounds and 14 assists while Gallinari posted 18 points and 10 rebounds. 

vs 
Brandon Bass vs Kenneth Faried
Bass will have his hands full with Faried who has earned the nickname "Manimal."  Faried plays with an abundance of energy and is a beast on the boards.  He averages 12.2 points and 9.7 boards a game and slowing him down will be key for the Celtics.   In their last meeting, Faried had 14 points and 12 rebounds.  Hopefully he is a bit tired coming off of playing in the Rising Stars game as well as the Dunk Contest over All Star weekend. 

Honorable Mention
Avery Bradley vs Ty Lawson
Lawson has quietly become one of the more underrated point guards in the league.  He led the Nuggets with 29 points and 9 assists and 6 rebounds in the last meeting.  Bradley needs to put is trademark defense to work to limit Lawson in this one.   

Keys to the Game

Defense - I may sound like a broken record, but Defense is the key to every game.   If they come into every game with the mindset to make defense a priority, they stand a good chance of winning every one.  When they slack off on defense, it affects every part of their game.  The offense feeds off the defense.   The Nuggets have won 31-1 in games where they score 100+ points.  They also rank first in the league in fast break points (19.4). The Celtics have got to play tough defense if they want to win this game. 

Rebound -   Since much of rebounding is effort and desire, the effort  that the Celtics show on the boards usually indicates how much the team really wants the game.  The Nuggets are a big team and are a very good rebounding team, ranking 2nd in the league with 45.4 rebounds per game and 1st in offensive rebounds with 13.8 per game.  The Celtics are 2nd to last, pulling down only 39.7 rebounds per game.  The Nuggets out-rebounded the Celtics 65-51 in their last meeting.  The Celtics have got to make an effort to crash the boards as a team and do better in this one. 

Be Aggressive The more aggressive team usually gets more calls  and taking the ball to the hoop usually ends in either a basket or a foul or a kick out to a wide open teammate.  The Celtics can't settle for jumpers, especially against a team like the Nuggets who will clean up the rebounds and turn them into a fast break.  They have to be aggressive in going to the hoop. They also must be aggressive in going after loose balls and rebounds.   

Bench Play
The Celtics got a boost from their bench in their 3 OT win over the Nuggets but their reserves have also been inconsistent and we never know what we will get from them on any given night.  In their first meeting, the Celtics reserves came through with 53 points but just 10 rebounds.  Jason Terry with 26 points and Jeff Green with 17 points were big off the bench.  The Nuggets bot 40 points and a whopping 33 rebounds from their reserves.  Their top performers off the bench were Miller with 15 points, Brewer with 13 points, and 16 rebounds for McGee. 

X-Factors
Thin Air
The Celtics will be playing at a higher altitude than they are used to, while the Nuggets are used to it.  This gives the Nuggets one of the best home court advantages in the league.   The Celtics arrived in Denver the day before so hopefully it won't affect the Celtics too much. 

Re: Celtics (28-24) at Nuggets (33-21) 2/19
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 04:56:10 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
This game is going to be nearly impossible to win.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 05:04:45 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
So since we beat the they've been on a losing skid, let's keep that going. They don't want none with a well rested Celtics team lets get it.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 10:35:56 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

I think a lot of Denver's advantage at home comes from the altitude and the fact that visiting teams struggle to get their breath.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 10:38:26 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

I think a lot of Denver's advantage at home comes from the altitude and the fact that visiting teams struggle to get their breath.

That's one of many reasons. They also have 17500/22000 fans, which only makes them run faster :( Altitude+natural advantage+MORE RUNNING = bad news for many teams
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 03:13:08 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Since I graduated from H.S. in 1964, it was an honor to give you TP # 1964!

I have been in Denver, played tennis about 3 minutes at a time, so I know what you are talking about.   ;)

Lets hope the Celts are well rested, have plenty of oxygen handy, and can slow Denver's offense down.

Go Celts!  We can do this!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 04:01:10 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Well you can subtract one Denver fan from tonight's arena. I will be there(3rd Row) cheering our Team on. Hoping for big upset and a quiet arena when all is said and done.

Looking forward to seeing PP and KG in green still and hearing a mouthful for KG  ;D

I am beyond excited for tonight's game!

Go Celts

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 04:06:28 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Well you can subtract one Denver fan from tonight's arena. I will be there(3rd Row) cheering our Team on. Hoping for big upset and a quiet arena when all is said and done.

Looking forward to seeing PP and KG in green still and hearing a mouthful for KG  ;D

I am beyond excited for tonight's game!

Go Celts

Have fun! Celts fans all over the world, unite!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 04:11:44 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Is Terrence Williams suiting up for this game?

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 04:13:12 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Is Terrence Williams suiting up for this game?

Unlikely.

Celtics haven't received his letter of clearance from his last team in China.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 04:52:17 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11820
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Since I graduated from H.S. in 1964, it was an honor to give you TP # 1964!

I have been in Denver, played tennis about 3 minutes at a time, so I know what you are talking about.   ;)

Lets hope the Celts are well rested, have plenty of oxygen handy, and can slow Denver's offense down.

Go Celts!  We can do this!

Thanks TB.   I graduated in 1969 -  And that was the year I became a Celtics fan :)  That team was all heart and grit.   Sending a TP right back at ya!

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 05:17:30 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 864
  • GOT IT!!!
C's start off slow due to the break then keep it close for most of the game. Denver pulls away in the 4th though. Hope I'm wrong!

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 05:30:32 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
close to end, last 10 minutes,  manimal.  ..half ape man,  makes 20 flying dunks on break always an blow the C's out by 20....,,,,

we need to have the ball to bounce our way, refs to help ,  team shoot lights out nd manimal get in foul trouble, 

they just wear us down with to many young sets of legs.

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 05:32:17 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Don't feel good about this game at all. To the point Id almost be surprised if we won.

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 05:33:50 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Don't feel good about this game at all. To the point Id almost be surprised if we won.

It'd be a bit of a miracle ;D
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]